Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2016, 06:17 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post

Thanks for the info about the fan...so solar or staying on shore power is a must, because that is much more draw than a typical stereo on low volume.

Safe travels
I think you missed a decimal point in the other post
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2016, 09:00 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocarski View Post
I think you missed a decimal point in the other post
Nah...read it right...1/10th to 3/10th amp is typical for muffin fans of the size used in these toilets. The part that is questionable is the "...for 24 hr run".

Like this .18 amp brushless unit:
https://www.amazon.com/WinnerEco-Coo...s=12v+mini+fan

That is "continuous". You best not turn off the evac fan. And you best not run the bathroom roof fan when you open the solids hatch.

Please don't misunderstand, having camped with serious boondockers, we have direct experience with this topic as well as bag, bin, and cartridge toilets.
Our experience is exactly what Fit RV reported in the OP. And these toilets DO have a place in RV's...users just need to have "eyes wide open" if removing a standard RV toilet to install one.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:26 AM   #45

according to Gone with the Wynns theirs uses 1.7amps over a 24hr period. I could live with that easily to increase my gray holding tank capacity.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:39 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
FWIW, quoting Jason Wynn regarding technical specifics is a tenuous venture.

Even the smallest brushless muffin fans pull .11amps...which is much more than 1.7amp/hrs a day.
But the Wynn's factory supplied Bounder and now their big ol' boat, had a large solar array to make it work.

I will give Nikki props for showing how complex prep is here...but they avoid showing specifics of the actual dump and clean out (sanitizing) like Fit RV touch on in the OP's video.

Hope you share all about it here if you do it.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 01-02-2017, 08:44 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocarski View Post
In some Luxes they install 2 gray tanks. I think it's the ones with 2 bathrooms but don't quote me on that. I only have 1 40 gallon in mine so that is the one that fills up first. We installed another valve like you did and plan to do exactly what you are doing.
As far as I know, most 2 bath models have 2 greys and 2 blacks. My Big Sky does. We easily go 2 weeks without needing to dump.

Thats a great video by Fit RV, we follow them on youtube, and they showed the reality of composting toilets, unlike other channels that have been sold on them and biasly justify their use.

As others have said, there is a place for composting toilets, just not in my RV.

Also, im sure they would appreciate this discussion on their youtube channel....
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:11 AM   #48

Quote:
I am dumping the 2.25 gallon pee jug about every two weeks or so, simply capping it and taking it to a toilet and pouring it in. No hassle, no oder.
only if your sense of smell is totally destroyed.
The makers of the video are absolutely spot on with their assessment of the gross stink of a couple of gallons of stale pee.

Refreshing to find a couple of people who aren't afflicted with the dreaded "confirmation bias" disorder and can therefore tell it like it really is.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:40 PM   #49

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I can't believe so many people are hung up over these discussions.

So it begs the question what do you do when the family's eating asparagus? Two or three people in the morning after you eat asparagus will permeate the local environment with the odiferous smell of urine. Mind you now this is "fresh" urine, so we don't eat asparagus because it might smell? Asparagus is so healthy and beneficial to everybody you're not telling me you would be afraid off of eating it because it might make your urine smell?

We have two hundred asparagus plants here on the farm, for the month of May and part of June we need to use the bathroom FANS!
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:35 PM   #50

funny how passionate people are about this topic. Me, I'm an old school guy. I grew up when there were outhouses, you put your dog down when he got to that point, and most of the family pets (geese, ducks, chickens, pigs, etc) ended up on the supper table. The stuff that seems to bother a lot on this thread don't bother me as much I guess. I don't know whether I'll pull the trigger on a composting toilet yet, but I do need to find a way to increase my gray water holding capacity to boondock longer and this is on the list of potential solutions. If I don't do it, it won't be because of the things people think are unpleasant. It would be because of the cost.

Using and maintaining a composting toilet can't be any worse that using a cathole while backpacking lol
Old 01-03-2017, 06:50 AM   #51

What a funny thread. Passionate arguments against composting toilets by folks who have never owned one. As a retired therapist, and current student of the current political climate in the USA, I see a lot in this thread that makes me chuckle.

I'm still loving the Nature's Head I installed in the 1978 Avion, and will install a second one in my 1969 Terry in a couple of weeks. I love the system, and am so happy to be done with the black water business.
gdhillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:04 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdhillard View Post
What a funny thread. Passionate arguments against composting toilets by folks who have never owned one...
The OP states personal experience, the folks in the video have personal experience, and we have personal experience.

I don't think I read anyone here is "against" these devices, it is just not for them.
But there are "details" (well described in the Fit RV video) that are often glossed over by supporters.

As a professed long time user...please share:
-How often does the device receive a "contribution" (i.e. 1x daily by 2 adults)?
-How long does the solid waste side of the device last before required cleaning and reloading?
-And, where do you dispose of your solid and liquid waste?

Thanks
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 01-03-2017, 11:32 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
I don't think I read anyone here is "against" these devices, it is just not for them.
But there are "details" (well described in the Fit RV video) that are often glossed over by supporters.
There is definitely a lot of religion on both sides. The people who support them may be glossing over some things but the people who don't think they are for them are also advocating against them and trying to convince others that they shouldn't adopt them.

I respect everyone's opinion on this and appreciate all the info, but I would be more interested in a more objective discussion about the pros and cons.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:18 AM   #54

Sigh. Longterm? Only a couple of months. Single guy. Probably five "contributions" a week. No sign of the compost getting any fuller. At all. Pee jug dumped at the current campground once every 10 days or so. No oder, no hassle. And you don't clean anything. At some point you dump the compost (13 gallon trash bag) and restock with moss. Dump it in the woods, I suspect, or a dumpster if I'm near one. Currently looks like potting soil, with no smell.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:20 AM   #55

Even the paper disappears.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:38 AM   #56

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdhillard View Post
Sigh. Longterm? Only a couple of months. Single guy. Probably five "contributions" a week. No sign of the compost getting any fuller. At all. Pee jug dumped at the current campground once every 10 days or so. No oder, no hassle. And you don't clean anything. At some point you dump the compost (13 gallon trash bag) and restock with moss. Dump it in the woods, I suspect, or a dumpster if I'm near one. Currently looks like potting soil, with no smell.
For discussion purposes:
What part of the country are you in? Is ambient temperature a factor with this process? What are the dietary differences? We have reduced our meat intake to less than 10% and are closing in on a total vegetarian diet. That would affect output. I used to tease the DW when she complained about losing weight that I had no problem losing 5 pounds every morning. That's changed now.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote