Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2018, 12:33 PM   #1

Dry camping advice-generator & AC

We have a new Jayco Melbourne 24M that has an installed propane genny. Our first dry camp experience will be at Trumbo at NAS Key West for 4 weeks in October, hurricane permitting. My question is about keeping cool. If at all possible, I would prefer to not have to drive out for propane refill if we run the coach genny to run AC. I also have a pair of Yamaha 2000 with a parallel cable from our old fiver.

I would like to devise a way to run a small portable AC with one Yamaha and was wondering if anyone has done anything similar and what equipment you may have used. Need to do some more research about small AC starting loads etc. but was hoping the wisdom and experience of the forum may save some wasted effort!
Seniorchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2018, 12:52 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
If you have a vehicle, you could get an external 20 lb propane tank and equip your 24M with a Brass Tee Adapter and appropriate hose made to allow external propane tanks to be safely connected. Then you just drive the 20 lb tank for exchange or refill. Would weigh less and take up less space than the Yamaha and the gas can carrying gas for it.

Part sold at RV supply stores and online for around $ 60. It goes between the internal propane tank and the input side of the regulator. It is about 3" long so in many RVs it is not a simple insert in line installation if the regulator can't easily be moved over 3".
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:27 PM   #3

If you go with the extend a stay adaptor and a 20lb bbq tank, get it refilled with 20lb of propane. The exchange tanks are only filled to 15 lbs of propane.

Problem with bbq tanks is that they hold 4.7 gallons of propane. With the generator burning 1/2 a gallon an hour, your swapping tanks every 10 to 12 hours of run time.

I'd use the portable generators. Gas is easier.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:50 PM   #4

That time of year you are going to need to run the AC most of the time.
If it were me I'd get a campground and not be out much more money than running the genny all the time.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:45 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
If it were me I'd get a campground and not be out much more money than running the genny all the time.
He's dry camping on a military base in Key West. The only other park there is $135 a day. Bring the Yamaha 2000s with a parallel cable. We'll be there Dec-Apr.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:55 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Will anyone deliver a larger bottle and fill it for you on the .mil base? Like maybe the 100 pound tank, or larger if you need it?
https://www.gasteconline.com/tank-chart.php
Old 06-18-2018, 08:59 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Will anyone deliver a larger bottle and fill it for you on the .mil base? Like maybe the 100 pound tank, or larger if you need it?
https://www.gasteconline.com/tank-chart.php
LPG service company in KW not allowed (insurance problem) on base. You drive rig off base or carry bottle off to refill. Been that way past 5 winters. LPG is $4.50 + per gal down there. The two Yamaha's won't cost more to run then the propane genny will. And you can charge your batteries on only running one. Been stayin there for 13 winters.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:04 PM   #8

FYI, portable A/C units are low efficiency compared to the usual RV or window A/C units. Most are poorly reviewed.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:15 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
LPG service company in KW not allowed (insurance problem) on base. You drive rig off base or carry bottle off to refill. Been that way past 5 winters. LPG is $4.50 + per gal down there. The two Yamaha's won't cost more to run then the propane genny will. And you can charge your batteries on only running one. Been stayin there for 13 winters.
There you have it: either wrestle with your own 100 pound bottle, or run the gennies and use gasoline.

Personally, I'd change the oil in the gennies before the trip and run them. Might be easier than changing the oil in the chassis mounted gennie? I'm not sure which is easier for you.

I hope you have a great trip.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post

X2

I have solar and a 7.5K gen, but sometimes I use a park. Currently at a CP w/ 50amp and water no Dump for $8 (eight dollars a nite) cheap parks do exist.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:49 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
location, location, location

Sometimes it is just about the destination.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:50 PM   #12

Seniorchief, you may want to look at installing a Micro-Air EasyStart 364 Soft Starter on your RV air conditioner. I just installed one on my Dometic Brisk II 13,500-BTU air conditioner and can now run it easily on one Honda EU2200i generator in Eco mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180620_181403.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	207897   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180620_181306.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	207898  

Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
X2

I have solar and a 7.5K gen, but sometimes I use a park. Currently at a CP w/ 50amp and water no Dump for $8 (eight dollars a nite) cheap parks do exist.
Not in the Florida Keys.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Not in the Florida Keys.
If i could stay in the keys (anywhere in the keys not just key west) for 8 a night we would be on our way and not leave until thrown out or a hurricane started brewing.

If we were gonna be in Key west in oct we would not care about ac. Having enough ice and rum to make boat drinks would be our only concern.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, camping, generator