Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #1

Electrical Power at night?

My brother-in-law is camping with us this next trip and needs his CPAP machine at night. I was told by the RV salesman that "sure you have power to your outlets even when the generator is not running". I haven't figured this out in three trips...is there a switch some place that I'm missing? I can't take it back to the RV dealership - they are out of business.
We have a 31 foot "C" 2005 Tioga.
Thanks!

Life is an adventure!
Don

The Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #2

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ham
My brother-in-law is camping with us this next trip and needs his CPAP machine at night. I was told by the RV salesman that "sure you have power to your outlets even when the generator is not running". I haven't figured this out in three trips...is there a switch some place that I'm missing? I can't take it back to the RV dealership - they are out of business.
Thanks!

Life is an adventure!
Don
That's probably why they are out of business! "IF" your coach has an inverter ( takes battery power and makes it house power 12v to 110v) then his statement could be true for some or all outlets.
His statement is still true( power with gen off) if you are plugged into a campground pedestal.
If he was saying it has 110 power all the time and you don't have an inverter it was a bold faced lie!

4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
KIX

You can buy an adapter for the CPAP to allow it to plug into a cigar lighter and run directly on 12vdc. Tell him to contact the CPAP manufacturer or the CPAP provider.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ham View Post
Thanks!

Life is an adventure!
Don
check this resource:

Electrical Tutorial
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:41 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies! I have an inverter, or at least I was told I do...I have house batteries if that make any difference. WE will be boondocking on private property, no camp ground power, just the generator.
I'll look at the Tutorial in the next day or so - and I'll dig thru the owners manual again.
Cheers! Don
Old 06-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some CPAP machines are quite happy with 12vdc power (in fact they use a wall wart or brick converter)

Some need 120 vac, Epically if they have heaters of humidifiers.

A small converter (At least 120 percent the rating of the CPAP's power needs) True Sine Wave if possible, can do the conversion quite easily if needed.

Rule for inverter....

Put the inverter in the compartment NEXT TO the batteries

USE heavy duty cables (For small ones I like starter cable) to hook to battery

Run 120 vac wiring (Extension cord?) From there to CPAP.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:01 AM   #7

CPAC

I use one. Mine runs on 12volt and uses a converter for house power. It was an easy switch to 12 volt,just got the cable and plug. I had to wire in a 12volt wall plug beside the bed. I also have a 12volt socket cord that clips directly on to a battery for when I'm sleeping in a tent where we hunt. Both are options. BTW,mine blew the 5amp fuse,had to use the 7amp.They supplied 5,7,and 9 with the cord. The fuse is in the plug. They also sold a battery pack,good for 24 hrs. So you can fiquire to use one battery every three nights.Hope this helps
Old 06-25-2012, 01:08 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
x2 for the power cord. I have one that I cannot find at the moment. My coach has a 2000w inverter that is apparently big enough to power my CPAP and heater.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For many years I have had a 12v Power point near the head of the bed and three different CPAP machines had 12V DC input ports. Manufacturer wanted much bucks for the power cord. I went to Radio Shack and bought the cord I needed with a choice of tips. Works fine, If there is no power point near the bed, get a longer cord to reach the dash.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #10

iRV2 No Limits Club
One of the potential problems you can run into is the tolerance of the CPAP for over voltage. I.e. our solar controller puts out 14.4V during boost phase and this will occur in the morning when it is trying to rebuild that charge lost during the night.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the device is rated for use in a car or off a car system then it can take 14.6 volt minimum, usually 15-16 before damage happens. Just so you know.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Followup to my recent post, slightly off topic. We (DW and I) are going on a non RV trip to less developed lands and the trip guidance said the no power would be available at night for some part of the trip and CPAP users ought to find a different trip.

I called my sleep doc and got a script for Provent Therapy. Tried it, used it successfully "DW slept". Also worked with my dentist and was fitted with an appliance that is providing good sleep apnea control. It passed the DW slept test. So there are two alternatives to CPAP for those who worry about power draw. These are truly a case of YMMV and the cost is non trivial and it is doubtful my insurance will pay.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #13

Electrical Power at night

Thanks for all the great input! My brother-in-law purchased a "Battery pack" for lack of a better term. It charged during the day and was good enough to use at night. As a mater-o-fact, he used to to jump-start his van when the battery died. Not sure what it was/is but it works well.
Every time we take our rig out, we learn something new!
Don
Old 08-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ham View Post
Thanks for the replies! I have an inverter, or at least I was told I do...I have house batteries if that make any difference. WE will be boondocking on private property, no camp ground power, just the generator.
I'll look at the Tutorial in the next day or so - and I'll dig thru the owners manual again.
Cheers! Don
Simple question, Have you even tried to see if any of your 110 outlets still work after you shut the generator down ?

Maybe you should pay someone to come out to check out and show you the basics of your MH.
It's the things you don't know about that will cost you the most.

RMinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, power