Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Question Engineering Help: Water from Propane?

Hi, All.

Burning one gallon of propane produces almost a gallon of water(see below).
Any ideas as to how this water could be "captured" for use rather than lost to the atmosphere?
In my case specifically, I'd like to capture the water produced in my trailer interior by my catalytic heater.

Thanks!

Francesca

The Below is from:
nswers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081226062215AA5J1xM
Propane is C3H8. Molar mass is about 44g. Water is H2O, at 18g. So, 4 * 18 / 44 = 1.6x.
Thus, about 1.6lb of water per lb of propane. Density of liquid is 0.507, vs. 1 for water. 1.6*.507 = 0.81 gal water per gallon of propane.

See also:
Google Answers: Combustion of natural gas
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2011, 05:57 PM   #2

Francesca,

Are you sure you're not a closet scientist or engineer? You certainly ask a lot of questions that get the resident bucks banging their heads on their keyboards!
Old 09-27-2011, 05:59 PM   #3

The thing is that it's vapor, not liquid - at least until it condenses on something cold.

This is one reason why catalytic heaters, ovens, and stoves and other such things that burn propane without outside exhaust need proper ventilation. It can get dank in a hurry (not to mention other combustion byproducts that can cause severe health risks).

You can see this on a cold day with your car -- the water drips out of the exhaust as it has condensed on the still cold exhaust pipes. The army has looked at trapping this to reduce water transport costs. For an RV, the most common solution is a dehumidifier.

Thanks for posting the calculation. I've always considered this from a gas point of view. The conversion to liquid is something I need to check and think about.
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Try using a de-humidifier, the bigger the better.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The equation for the combustion of propane is:
C3H8 + 5 O2 → 3 CO2 + 4 H2O + energy
for Complete Combustion...

However, you do not get complete combustion
2 C3H8 + 7 O2 → 2CO + 8 H2O + 2CO2 + energy

So burning 2 moles of propane will produce 8 moles of water.

1 mole of propane is 44 grams and 1 mole of water is 18 grams.

44 grams = 0.0970024 pounds
18 grams = 0.0396828 Pounds X 4 = 0.158731 pounds

0.09070024 / 0.1587312 = 1/x

x= 1.75 pounds of water for each pound of propane

For water, 1 gallon = 8.33#

For liquid propane, it varies according to temperature. At 77 degF, it is 1 gallon per 4.11#

1 pound of propane contains 21591 BTU of heat, so 1 gallon will contain 86,364 BTU (at 77 deg F)

My calculator battery just died and you can do the rest of the math. These are based on regular combustion. A catalytic heater has a catalyst to react with to get the heat or energy.

I would not capture the water for potable use. The catalyst used can contaminate the water and it will not be pure.

Additionally, read the following paper:
http://www.cpsc.gov/library/foia/foia05/os/co03.pdf
Paying attention to page 15 concerning CO emissions and O2 depletion.

The paper is fairly informative.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ken,
Good post. Thanks for the link!
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full.Monte View Post
Francesca,

Are you sure you're not a closet scientist or engineer? You certainly ask a lot of questions that get the resident bucks banging their heads on their keyboards!

I'm much worse than that-
I'm an undereducated 'satiable curiousity machine ...
But who needs an education when I've got all of you?????

Thanks for your kind attention to my problem!

First let me say to Bryant that the fact of the vapor condensing in the trailer was my initial and only problem associated with the heater, which is by the way more than adequately supplied with combustion air.
My first efforts involved simply preventing its "wetting" of interior surfaces...
But I've gotten greedy.
Capturing that water would increase my supply by a gallon a day in winter.
That's no small amount to a seasoned drycamper!

I see by Rjay's suggestion that I left out an important parameter in the experiment:
Recovery must be achieved without consuming any more energy than that already being used.
That means no electricity, which lets out the dehumidifier.

Plus- Where's the Earhshaking New Camping Discovery in that?

And, Ken:
Your figures pretty much duplicate those I referenced in the opener, I think, but: Per contamination by the catalyst:
I'm after the water vapor- is there something that burns off the platinum catalyst that contaminates it???

Thanks again, guys!

Francesca
Old 09-27-2011, 07:21 PM   #8

Someone posting in this thread is just a little bit nuts! Maybe it's me, but if not, take a look to your left and right. If you are certain it's not them then it must be you!
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:43 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi, Bill

If you're talking about me...
I'm dead serious!
But possibly also a little nuts.

The water's there- I just want to figure out a way to collect it.

Do you think mine is an impossible dream???

Francesca
Old 09-27-2011, 10:00 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Hi, Bill

If you're talking about me...
I'm dead serious!
But possibly also a little nuts.

The water's there- I just want to figure out a way to collect it.

Do you think mine is an impossible dream???

Francesca
I think you have a built in humidifier ...Go with it!! Some people have to buy one.....
Richard
She and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

I'm much worse than that-
I'm an undereducated 'satiable curiousity machine ...
But who needs an education when I've got all of you?????

Thanks for your kind attention to my problem!

First let me say to Bryant that the fact of the vapor condensing in the trailer was my initial and only problem associated with the heater, which is by the way more than adequately supplied with combustion air.
My first efforts involved simply preventing its "wetting" of interior surfaces...
But I've gotten greedy.
Capturing that water would increase my supply by a gallon a day in winter.
That's no small amount to a seasoned drycamper!

I see by Rjay's suggestion that I left out an important parameter in the experiment:
Recovery must be achieved without consuming any more energy than that already being used.
That means no electricity, which lets out the dehumidifier.

Plus- Where's the Earhshaking New Camping Discovery in that?

And, Ken:
Your figures pretty much duplicate those I referenced in the opener, I think, but: Per contamination by the catalyst:
I'm after the water vapor- is there something that burns off the platinum catalyst that contaminates it???

Thanks again, guys!

Francesca
Francesca,

Are you trying to collect water from the combustion side of the heater, which should exhaust outside, or from the humid atmosphere inside the MH? They should be completely separate. I don't see how a heater would increase moisture inside the MH, since you are heating it. When air cools, that's when you will see condensation happening on walls and mirrors or anything metal.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #12

If you have a gallon of water after you use it, your probably going to die in your sleep anyway. Vent it before it's too late
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:59 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How to collect water vapor is easy... You use a STILL, (distillery) Same as a moonshiner

Basically run the exhaust through something that can radiate the heat out and the water will condense out of the exhaust.. the problem is I don't know what will condense out with it, if there are any impurities, they will condense out, as will other stuff, Pure propane is very likely not what is in your tank.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Before we go on, let me say that I'm very well informed about the safety concerns connected with propane combustion, take measures to address them all, and have been using this system for five years without any problems.
Unlike gasoline/diesel burning, propane produces only trace amounts if any of carbon monoxide. The primary safety concern is of course oxygen depletion, and I assure you all that ample combustion/replacement air is supplied.

I guess a picture's in order! See below...

The whole combustion surface is exposed to the interior.
Some water vapor escapes via the (AMPLE) venting, some stays suspended as vapor, and some condenses on colder surfaces, most notably the windows of course.
Mopping up that water is what got me to thinking about this.

Wayne's "still" suggestion is the sort of thing I have (hazily) in mind, but before going further with it, I'd appreciate some clarification on the point of contaminants in the water vapor.
It's my understanding that propane doesn't actually "contain" water- it's the hydrogen therein combining with the oxygen in the air that produces H2O.
(see Google Answers: Combustion of natural gas)
Is that a fact, and if so, what contaminants if any might also be produced?
I'm specifically asking about this information from you, Ken:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
A catalytic heater has a catalyst to react with to get the heat or energy.
I would not capture the water for potable use. The catalyst used can contaminate the water and it will not be pure.
Ken
The catalyst in this case is platinum (I think)- what's given off that could get into the water???
Or the air, for that matter!
I can't find anything in the literature about this...

Thanks, all!

Francesca
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trillium Heater 002.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	14322  

Tags
propane, water