Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2016, 10:25 AM   #29

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-04-28-09-19-21.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	125504  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2016, 10:31 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Here's another shot...and look who's parked in the RV spots
Fuel tanker , may have just finished a gas delivery , designers didn't really think out the underground tank location OR the exit from the RV pumps at that location. Been there done that , often.
BTW. Vegas to that FJ, via Bakersfield is a long days drive , but did it to avoid northern NV storms, late last month , that dumped 4" of snow in Reno and a foot in the Jackpot area.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
OR the exit from the RV pumps at that location. Been there done that , often.
I do not think that I have been to a Flying J yet that had a good exit from RV pumps. They all have a tight turn dumping you right in front of store. And people think it is ok to park in the exit area for the RV pumps.

But I still go there as it is one of the more convenient places to fuel up for me.
Spk64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:04 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Like others have noted, I've used the RV spaces at the front of the truck stop (usually Flying J). I avoid parking in the Truck area as truckers usually need every single one of those spaces (and it's noisier back there anyway). In my most recent stops at Flying J's last year, I started seeing more and more "bobtails" (trucks without trailers) parking up front in the RV spots, and running their engines all night long. Argh. Even more annoying, many Flying J's now blast their "muzak" all night long so loud that you can't sleep.

I now consider Flying J and truck stops only a last resort, and far prefer staying at a Wal-Mart-- more room to spread out, fewer trucks, and no muzak!
WinnieViews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:52 AM   #33

Scarab008.
Impressed with your ability to interpret sat photos...
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:25 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
I try to avoid doing things that annoy me if someone else does them.

So:
I pull up the pump when it is my turn with the credit card in one hand and the filler door keys in the other. I start the pump and proceed to wash the windshield. If I am going to fill DEF I open the door to the DEF tank. I do a quick walk around and look at all of the tires. We have a tire monitoring system so I do not thump the tires. When fueled I close and lock the filler door and pull forward to the line so the next fellow can fuel. I go in and get the receipt and wash my hands. Then either back on the road or to the parking area if we are having lunch.

I get frustrated when I watch someone fueling when there is a line up and doing only one task at a time.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:02 AM   #35

Etiquette at truck stops?

I fill up at filling stations. Drive in, fill up, leave.
The savings offsets part of the cost of our campsites, where the benefits of no truck rumble, no flock of running generators and no risk of collision are pleasant, and we have no conscience about "must patronize the mechandise and/or restaurant" to show appreciation.
No offense intended to those of higher tolerance levels.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:13 PM   #36

I've spent a few nights in rest areas near trucks with refrigerated trailers. The noise they make seems to resonate in certain parts of my trailer, especially near where my head is on my bed. Even when I'm not trying to sleep, it gives me a headache. The tractor's engine idling isn't as bad.

So instead of the Flying J, I drove another 1/2 mile to a quiet Walmart parking lot.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:37 PM   #37

Part of the etiquette

Do NOT ask the scantily clad women you see on the lot what they do for a living.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:18 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I fill up at filling stations. Drive in, fill up, leave.
The savings offsets part of the cost of our campsites, where the benefits of no truck rumble, no flock of running generators and no risk of collision are pleasant, and we have no conscience about "must patronize the mechandise and/or restaurant" to show appreciation.
No offense intended to those of higher tolerance levels.

I completely understand that logic, however my sense of compassion for my fellow travellers, most of whom I'm guessing are on vacation, makes me reticent to wake everyone else up when I pull in very late and leave at O-dark-thirty the next morning.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:57 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
I completely understand that logic, however my sense of compassion for my fellow travellers, most of whom I'm guessing are on vacation, makes me reticent to wake everyone else up when I pull in very late and leave at O-dark-thirty the next morning.

You are blessed with being able to relax and sleep under those conditions, admired for your concern for the peace of others, and saluted for the stamina and ambition to reach far places.

https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:30 PM   #40
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpend View Post
I've noted a lot of Truck Stops welcome RVers - For example some Flying-Js advertise you can reserve an overnight parking spot (anyone ever done that?).

So in general what is the socially acceptable way to park overnight at a truck stop. Grab a spot then go in and pay for it?

Thanks

I've stayed at the Flying J in Hubbard OH a few times coming and going out to the Newmar factory.

They have RV spots that are too small to park my 40' DP with TOAD. I have always parked in the rather large truck area with no issues or "second looks" from truckers. Obviously no slide outs or awnings. It's tight and noisy. I always try to get in early (before dark) and get a nice pull through spot next to a light pole.

Just another resource like a Walmart etc. Many Flying J's encourage RV's with special pumps, spots, dump stations, etc. I seriously doubt truckers give a hoot if you're there or not. If the business owner (Flying J) wants RV's, that's all that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:34 PM   #41
JFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwright View Post
Part of the etiquette

Do NOT ask the scantily clad women you see on the lot what they do for a living.
Lot Lizards.
JFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:49 PM   #42

I stay at those occasionally. Noisy for sure and the lots have a coat of fuel oil on them so my shoes get oily. But I like the experience, sometbing different. I dont like taking up a 70 foot space when I only need 40 feet but I do it.

You can park on a lot with a few trucks and its possible to wake up to trucks parked on every spot and then some.