Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:50 PM   #43
RVM1

Don't forget your Emily Post!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1475452231.726263.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	140511

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2016, 08:01 PM   #44

Parking near trucks with motors and refer units running all night is not for me, I would rather use Walmart and get some shopping done as well, or the quiet Home Depot's empty lot.
Took a quick trip from California to Arkansas and attempted to use Flying J, found full lots at my first two nights. Found Walmart near by.

2013 Palazzo 33.3

Old 10-12-2016, 07:19 PM   #45

Truckstop parking

"Everyone has seen a HDT parked along an exit/entrance ramp road, that driver ran out of hours and had to stop-by law."

I will also add this to the person that posted that comment above... December of 2017 a Federal Mandates kick in that REQUIRES ALL COMMERCIAL MOTOR VEHICLES to have an on board electronic recording device installed. This will PREVENT drivers from driving illegally violating the hours of service rules.

When this happens, the parking and specifically the lack thereof, is going to become a MAJOR issue.

You will be taking your own risk's when taking a parking space in a TRUCK parking area. By risk I mean someone that HAS to park in order to sleep, is going to be knocking on your door.

I have said this before... quit being cheap! YOU have options a 75' truck does not have; they are called campgrounds.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:39 PM   #46

I have stayed at a Flying J many times. Recently on a trip to Richmond we got out of work late, by the time we hit Carliel PA it was pouring rain and i was beat. We stopped for fuel and discussed stopping for the night. After fueling up I walked to the store to use the head. On my way in i looked accross the lot. In the enter of the lot were 3 large Class A motorhomes with toads dead center of the lot with all the slides out and chairs next to the campers. The lot was packed and I was completely floored they were setup like this. I find this happens alot lately with out of the US plates on the campers.

I dont find an issue with stopping for a few hours sleep but please dont open up your slides and leave room for others....The way i look at it, it may be me looking for that spot also. Be curtious and its a good spot to stop when needed.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:18 PM   #47

Sadly it's symptomatic, of the "me "
Attitude.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:37 PM   #48

Truck Stops? Walmart's? We tend to be "passage makers" and not site seers along the way... so, we always pull into the interstate rest stops - for trucks and before sunset. Lots of noise (try to find a opening on the end and usually only one trucker beside us) but after driving all day and then a light dinner and a few cocktails, we sleep fine. Up by 4am and on the road by 5am. In a couple of days we are at our destination and then really relaxing.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:55 PM   #49

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5UMC View Post
Truck Stops? Walmart's? We tend to be "passage makers" and not site seers along the way... so, we always pull into the interstate rest stops - for trucks and before sunset. Lots of noise (try to find a opening on the end and usually only one trucker beside us) but after driving all day and then a light dinner and a few cocktails, we sleep fine. Up by 4am and on the road by 5am. In a couple of days we are at our destination and then really relaxing.
That's what I do ! I'm tired I pull in where ever .
Flying J or a Rest area doesn't matter-- I've never had issues with Truckers !- My attitude- Simple ! Their making $ and I'm Spending it !.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:10 AM   #50

Can you do short overnights at a normal interstate rest stop?
Old 10-20-2016, 04:15 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
After 35+ years of having to park in TS's, doing so now, if I can't fit in the front car/RV area, I move on and find a shopping center, and park out along the curb, farthest away from the front door as I can get! I always go in and ask, after I have filled up a cart of stuff that we need! Never had a problem doing it that way, even in my Semi! TS's are a necessary evil, and a very good place to get hit, when you put a bunch of "Steering Wheel Holders" all tired, and trying to fit in that one space left, that is always next to you! All you "Billy Big Rig" RV'ers that think it is OK, to take up a spot at the truck stops where the trucks park, are doing so at your own risk! All I can say, is now that I have a choice where I can park, a TS is the last place on that list!
98% of the time now I am in a nice quiet State Park, or CG, relaxing, and enjoying nature! Rail!
Old 10-21-2016, 06:44 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmuzick View Post
I have said this before... quit being cheap! YOU have options a 75' truck does not have; they are called campgrounds.

I sure hope the guy trying to make it to his destination doesn't bother you too much pulling into the site across from you, headlights shining in your front window, hollering out the window to the DW trying to spot his unit, at midnight or later and then breaking camp at zero-dark-thirty because he didn't want to be "cheap".

Me? I would NEVER be so inconsiderate as to disturb all those people in a campground who are trying to enjoy their vacation.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:29 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
Me? I would NEVER be so inconsiderate as to disturb all those people in a campground who are trying to enjoy their vacation.
Well, in today's America, you are not the norm... and it's only getting worse.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:28 PM   #54

We have been driving to AZ. since 1974, first in a car/station wagon. Started driving MH in 78'. At first we did the park it were it would fit, and back then it wasn't a problem. Later, after the second class A, I made up my mind, no more TS's or Rest Area's, it's Campgrounds, period. It's just safer, quieter. The guys drivin' the trucks are trying to make a livin', I have no intention of getting in the way. JHMO.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:39 PM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I only had two problems both parking over night at Wal-Mart. The first was 10 o'clock at night with a person knocking at my door asking for money. The second was a truck parking so close to my I could not open my only door. I left both times to solve the problem.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:39 PM   #56
RVM1

Etiquette at truck stops?

We have had no problems overnighting at Wally World, trucks stops, rest stops, etc. We have never needed to compromise the "living" part of our Journey at such uncomfortable places.
We do not reach for the "bridge too far", and let the Journey be our Destination. We go to RV parks for first one night and the next for two nights, and so on.
I don't have differs with those that choose the quick sleep-over spots. We are simply too laid back to need the hassle or noise.
We fuel at regular stations because we can and know how. The extra savings pays for our travel-camping.
We do not have any issues nor druthers about "truck stop etiquette" because we are only there for fueling if they are the better price.
We wish all of you Happy Trails, and hope you can also circumvent the pressures of RVing that are so very avoidable.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote