Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:47 AM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
And then where are you legally going to dump the Grey?

gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2016, 11:24 AM   #16

If you are camping, you should be conserving water and using biodegradable soaps.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:29 PM   #17

Sometimes this subject makes me shake my head.

Some dump the dish water out on the ground to conserve gray water space.

RVs have outside showers. People use them to save gray water space.

Most take it to a dump site that simply spreads it out 1 foot under the surface. Very few remote sites have treatment plants.

Here is a killer, boats don't collect gray water, only black.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:36 PM   #18

If gray water is just soapy water, and if the soap you use is bio-degradable, then why not leave the gray open just a trickle into a hole you've dug about a foot deep. Overnight, the gray tank should be empty, and the ground dry.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:07 PM   #19

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have stayed at campgrounds where you could dump your grey in a tile but it was nothing connected just perforated that was dispersed below the surface what are the effects on dumping greywater as long as you use biodegradable soap are there other harmful effects on the environment? Does anybody know the main bacteria in grey water?
Old 01-18-2016, 02:49 PM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm staying on BLM land right now. The representative I talked to said that dish washing water could be dumped on the ground if collected in a basin that could be taken outside and dumped. Bath water could be dumped or one could bathe outside on the ground and the water could be dumped or allowed to soak into the ground.

The rules specifically prohibit tank dumping onto the ground due to mistakes being made where black water was dumped instead of gray, so the rule is no gray or black sewage *tank* dumping. If it's in a tank, it has to go to an appropriate dump station.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:05 AM   #21

It is amazing the things that can be done at night when nobody can see you are letting gray water out of your tank and watering the bushes.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:39 AM   #22

I, too, have scratched my head over 'no grey water dumping' rules in the same campgrounds where there is tent camping--have yet to see a blue boy tank at one of the tent sites.
Mysteriously, my grey tank springs a leak regularly near a tree or clump of grass, especially during a rain shower...maybe some day I'll get that darn leak fixed.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:09 PM   #23

Back to the water topic at hand....I like the tank. When i had my 5th wheel i built a rack on the rear and mounted a 60 gallon round tank from Tractor Supply. The reason was on our way to a NASCAR race we had a tractor trailer blow out some tires right in front of me and ripped the fresh water dump valve from the tank. This was my intial fix, but on additional races we used this. We were on site for 14 days and was able to have the grey tank pumped out. We only needed it once but having the extra water was nice.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:53 PM   #24

Porta pottie. It's a great water saver. I found that toilet flushing takes way too much water. We have had a porta pottie for almost 30 years and it has been a great water saver.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:04 AM   #25

I'm boondocking in La Posa South. We purchased a 60 gallon bladder. Folds up the size of a phone book.Fits perfectly in the back of our 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Connect the hose to the faucet & she's full in 5 minutes. Get back to the rig & I use a pump to send it thru the whole house filter into the fresh water tank. Keep it in the back of the rig & fill it when passing the fresh water faucets. Works GREAT!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:00 PM   #26

Hey yall, been a while since posting.
Im getting my trailer ready for camping season.

To answer all the ?'s about the grey water tank and what i do with the grey water.

Quick answer is YES i usually just drain it off on the ground, i know some folks would disagree with this method, however we are usually boondock camping in remote places.

I have a garden hose attachment for the sewer drain and i just run the hose out and drain the grey water.
Just use some common sense.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondockonly View Post
Hey yall, been a while since posting.
Im getting my trailer ready for camping season.

To answer all the ?'s about the grey water tank and what i do with the grey water.

Quick answer is YES i usually just drain it off on the ground, i know some folks would disagree with this method, however we are usually boondock camping in remote places.

I have a garden hose attachment for the sewer drain and i just run the hose out and drain the grey water.
Just use some common sense.
Same here! We switched to all natural soaps & such. Black at the dump stations!

For water we carry 90 gallons BUT we also purchased a water bladder that we put in the back of the jeep. Head off to the water spigot, filled in about 7 minutes. Get back to rig & use a Shureflow pump to pump water thru the whole house filter into tank. Works great, bladder folds up about the size of phone book.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:07 PM   #28

I have seen those water bladders,they look pretty handy.
I have actually used my setup for alot of things, rinseing off 4 wheelers, i washed my truck and rinsed off the camper after camping in the desert for a week.

Tags
boondocking, storage, water