Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2015, 11:24 AM   #1

Extra water storage for boondocking

So, after boondock camping several times,i quickly realized that our 40 gal water tank could only supply us 2adults 2 kids for maybe 3-4 days.
So after trying seveal options,
Option 1- carrying those 7gal blue water totes. This was very inconvenient and took up alot of space in the truck bed& a real pain to pour into the water tank.

Option#2 i purchased a 35 gal round bulk tank and put a water spigot on there. This option was also a pain in the rear as it also takes up alot of truck bed space, and trying to gravity fill to the tt was ridiculously slow.

So, i decided that i was going to build a custom water storage setup. And i had the perfect location!
That dead space underneath my truckbed toolbox, that space that usually just collects trash and loose items would be perfect.

After measuing the space under the box i found a company online plastictanks.com,
And found a 40 gal tank that would fit perfectly under the tank.
This would be great as i would not lose any bed space and the tank would fill an otherwise unused space.
So i ordered the tank.

Now i needed to figure out a way to plumb in the tank to get the most use out it.
I did not want to gravity feed the water to the tt because it was a real PITA and took forever.*
I settled on a Shurflo blaster 2 deck washing pump kit.(4gal min,60 psi)

After many trips the rv dealers parts section.

Heres what i came up with. Not only can i use the sprayer for various things around camp.
After the water tank goes empty i can either pump my spare water into the tt, or i can just connect the hose from the truck to the city water inlet on the tt, and turn on the pump. For power i used a fimco 12v wireless switch with wireless remote.

What do you guys and gals think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151024_085944.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	110290   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151024_085926.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	319.7 KB
ID:	110291  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20151024_085906.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	110292   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151024_085834.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	110293  

boondockonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2015, 11:37 AM   #2
Community Moderator

good idea but your photos are all sideways
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:41 AM   #3

Looks like it will work well.

I basically did something similar, but since I was not worried bout bed space I either throw one or two tanks in my truck bed.

The water is clean, but I would not drink it. We use it for showing and cleaning our SCUBA gear.

I originally started with just a 25 gallon spray tank, complete with pump and wand. I found that if we were diving more then one day it was not enough water. So I added a 75 gallon tank that sits where your tool box is.

I have a quick fittings on all my hoses so it is easy to configure. I also have an instant hot water tank mounted on a hand truck. This includes space for a propane bottle and makes it easy to move.

The only thing I would caution you on, that I am sure you know, is make sure you drain your pump if it is going to be cold. After one ice dive we washed our equipment. I did not drain the pump, and in the 2hr dive home it was able to freeze.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:44 AM   #4

I think the photo uplader rotated the pics.
Sorry.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:49 AM   #5

I will be draining the tank and winterizing here soon.
Were doing 1 more trop to moab utah.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:32 PM   #6

Thats awesome but i have a newby question. If your boondocking ,will your greyvwater tank hold all that water or what do you do?
demon1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:30 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
good idea but your photos are all sideways

Or the truck is lying on its side. (-:
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:10 AM   #8

Quote:
If your boondocking ,will your greyvwater tank hold all that water or what do you do?
Excellent question!

However, note that in many RV setups the combined grey water plus blackwater total capacity is fairly large - with the blackwater tank capacity often being larger than the greywater tank capacity.

So ... if greywater can somehow be off-loaded or transferred into the blackwater tank, you effectively wind up with more greywater capacity.

Our Itasca Class C has a sewer valve arrangement that readily permits off-loading of grey water into it's larger capacity blackwater tank, thus extending our greywater storage capacity. For an RV not set up this way, you can merely use a bucket to transfer grey water from the greywater tank into the blackwater tank by going inside the coach and dumping the buckets down the toilet.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon1018 View Post
Thats awesome but i have a newby question. If your boondocking ,will your greyvwater tank hold all that water or what do you do?
You're boondocking in the middle of nowhere. Water the trees.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:40 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
What is your Grey tank size? Would you also be emptying your grey tank at the same time?
Are you dumping your grey on the ground?

many areas do not allowing the dumping of grey (Tank) because it is classified as contaminated.
Your idea is great except for the questions above/
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:00 AM   #11

Why all so worried about the downsides. I like the OP's setup.

I've got a 25 gallon (20 gallon usable) fresh water tank in my camper, but a 30 gallon grey and a 30 gallon black tank. The gray doesn't get full until I've refilled the fresh tank with 3 portable 7 gallon containers. At that point, I've still got most of the black tank empty, so water capacity is still my limiting factor to boondocking.

If water capacity isn't an issue, I do my dishes outside using the portable container and will dump the rinse water out in the weeds. My next goal is a to get a pump to able to drain the gray tank up into my portable waste tank when its in the bed of my truck. Currently, the portable tank (with wheels) only gets used when I'm in a state park that has an on-site dump station.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:54 AM   #12

Not downing the idea at all. Im new and have a 1995 winnebago brave. It seems the grey water tank is smaller than the fresh water tank in mine.. Thats why was wondering if he is adding even more fresh water, wheres it going. Using a bucket an pouring it down the toilet sounds like a great idea .that would definatly help me..kind of a pain but if i had to i could
demon1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:56 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Very nice solution.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:24 AM   #14

One fellow found a cheap 12volt pump at Harbor Freight for transferring the water. When another questioned using a HF pump, a third suggested he better not look at city water lines.

Tags
boondocking, storage, water