Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2017, 07:27 PM   #15

If you buy a portable dump, 2 wheel ones suck....heavy when moving over distance.....4 wheel ones with a steer handle are much easier to deal with
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2017, 11:17 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Yeah, for a dump tank you need to decide whether you will pull it manually or behind your vehicle. I know we just can't lift a 10+ gallon tank to haul it somewhere so we have the one with a handle that goes over the hitch. You have to drive very, very, very slowly, and it is a big PITA. When we had a trailer with a much smaller tank, that's what we did though. Now we only need to dump every 6-7 days so hitching up doesn't seem that big of a bother. YMMV.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:42 AM   #17

In case it is helpful, you can decrease your water usage by using paper plates instead of washing dishes. Just toss them or burn in a campfire instead of the effort to move fresh water and grey water around.

Paper plates are usually made from waste paper or recycled fiber, so it doesn't cause trees to be cut down.

It isn't for everyone, but for some applications it can extend water use and camping time enough to make a difference.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:01 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryn View Post
In case it is helpful, you can decrease your water usage by using paper plates instead of washing dishes. Just toss them or burn in a campfire instead of the effort to move fresh water and grey water around.

Paper plates are usually made from waste paper or recycled fiber, so it doesn't cause trees to be cut down.

It isn't for everyone, but for some applications it can extend water use and camping time enough to make a difference.

We always use paper plates while camping. The only dishes we have are pots and pans and baby bottles. Makes a difference in the amount of work! Thanks
Old 09-30-2017, 10:36 AM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you are boondocking and not connected to shore power, a 12 volt water pump that can run off your house batteries will be more efficient than the Ryobi.

https://www.amazon.com/Seaflo-Diaphr...+transfer+pump

At the hardware store in Quartzsite, AZ they sell 30 gallon plastic barrels made for fresh water and sewer transport. I plan to use a small basket carrier on the back of my toad.

If my sewer outlet won't allow for gravity filling of the dump tank I'll use this macerator pump --

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7W6MNN...d=UHC7EQPCUYNS

I like Seaflo pumps. I replaced my onboard water pump with a Seaflo last summer and it was cheaper than the OEM pump plus stronger and quieter.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:44 AM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I save water in the kitchen by first wiping everything with a paper towel to remove all traces of food and then spraying water mixed with a small amount of dishwashing liquid on them. Rinsing can be with a spray bottle or in a small dishpan.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water