Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:59 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Dan Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Wong
Filling / carrying fresh water

Up to this point, I filled my fresh tank before heading out boondocking, but it is silly to carry 40 gallons of fresh water for a 50-150 miles when I could / should stop by the nearest town for fill up.

is it easy to obtain water in a small town?
In my younger days; all gas station have fresh water available; is it still true today? I don't mind paying a small fee for the water.

What do you guys do? where do you obtain your water?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2015, 06:17 PM   #2

In the great scheme of things does 320 lbs of water really count for much in the total weight of your coach?

If you are not dry camping somewhere there is usually water at the campground you just may not be able to connect to it continuously.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:35 PM   #3

Your MH is designed to carry the weight of a full fresh water tank. Mileage difference will be very slight if noticeable at all. In fact, slowing down 3-5 mph should result in higher mileage, even with a full water tank. When traveling with an empty water tank, you can't use your toilet, wash your hands,etc. Then you have to be concerned about finding a safe water source in an unknown area.
I've always began the day with a full water tank, one never knows when road construction, a crash, or personal breakdown will happen to delay proceeding for hours or a day.

Personal experience; During our Alaska trip we stopped for the night at a CG, they had no water because a line burst that day. We gave those who traveled without water a few gallons, but they all said they had learned their lesson and would carry at least 1/2 tank in the future. Another time we were caught in a traffic jam for about 4 hours. We wondered what those without water or in cars got by.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:48 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I always carry a tank of water and the water heater full so that's about 60 gallons of water in the Dutch Star. If I'm going to be without water like we will be at the GS rally I'll fill the tank. Either way I never notice the weight difference and, as was said earlier, it won't make a noticeable difference in the mileage either.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:52 PM   #5

I have noticed our Sea Breeze seems to ride a little smoother with a full tank of water. I try to keep it at least half full.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:48 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsupersonic View Post
I have noticed our Sea Breeze seems to ride a little smoother with a full tank of water. I try to keep it at least half full.

Same here with our coach. Handles and rides better with lots of water onboard. The weight difference makes a negligible real difference in fuel usage or hill climbing, IMHO.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:06 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Personally, I leave everywhere with full water tanks. I also have a 7 gal and a 6 gallon filled. If we have the toad with we store it in the trunk.
If we are at the Father-in-laws place the water is bad. Smells like (well just bad) Tackainite(sp). Our dog's won't drink it so when we are out of water we go into town where there is a City CG with water/Flush out.
JS,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:36 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When I used to have a pull behind I would really notice when the tank was full vs empty my suburban struggled a lot more with a full tank of water but now with a diesel pusher it's a non-issue
Old 02-19-2015, 09:23 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
when headed out, always a full water tank,,,.60gal...we never know when we will find a nice spot and stop for a few days,,,,,,,,,,,really don't want to pass a good spot by because no water
Old 02-19-2015, 09:28 PM   #10

Fresh water full, holding tanks empty - well we have a few gallons in the gray and black water tanks, they shouldn't ever be dry. That's how we roll. We full time and it works for us.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:52 PM   #11

I always start out with a full tank. You never know what kind of water you'll find on the road. Hard, high chlorine etc. I was in the Adirondacks a few years ago and there was a definite sulpher odor about the water at a place we stopped at. I was glad I had brought mine with me.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:57 PM   #12

If I am on a trip with lots of climbs and in route to a Full service campground, I only fill my fresh H20 about 1/4 just to get me to my overnight destination. Perhaps it my subconscious making think I'll notice the difference. On CA 395, just north of Bishop Ca there is a long steep climb called Sherwin Grade. It climbs about 5K feet over 20 miles. At the top is a rest stop with fresh H20. Everytime I pull in there I see a lots folks, who look to be getting ready to go boondocking, filling their H2O. My best guess is they too dont want to pull extra weight up the hill. my .02
Old 02-19-2015, 11:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Your MH is designed to carry the weight of a full fresh water tank. Mileage difference will be very slight if noticeable at all. In fact, slowing down 3-5 mph should result in higher mileage, even with a full water tank. When traveling with an empty water tank, you can't use your toilet, wash your hands,etc. Then you have to be concerned about finding a safe water source in an unknown area.
I've always began the day with a full water tank, one never knows when road construction, a crash, or personal breakdown will happen to delay proceeding for hours or a day.

Personal experience; During our Alaska trip we stopped for the night at a CG, they had no water because a line burst that day. We gave those who traveled without water a few gallons, but they all said they had learned their lesson and would carry at least 1/2 tank in the future. Another time we were caught in a traffic jam for about 4 hours. We wondered what those without water or in cars got by.
"I've always began the day with a full water tank, one never knows when road construction, a crash, or personal breakdown will happen to delay proceeding for hours or a day."

Yep!!!! You just never know. We'd rather have it and not need it than...
Old 02-19-2015, 11:33 PM   #14

Appalachian Campers
I carry water from home, but have searched for water before. Some stations do still have water spigots, but the majority today are locked. The last trip I looked at three gas stations, a grocery store and a car wash and when I asked about getting water I was told no.

I have noticed a lot of truck stops tend to still have spigots around, so if you're close to a truck stop you might be in good shape.

sknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water