Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2015, 07:40 AM   #15

Paradox1, The Champion Generators that sell in that price range are "contractor-grade" units and way too loud for campground use....most campgrounds will demand you shut down any unit that makes that kind of noise.
The higher quality units (inverter generators) produce sound levels in the range of normal conservation volume and are in fact quieter than the normal background noise level found on any city street in places like New York City!!!
You can in fact have a conservation standing next to an inverter-type generator.

Happy Camping
Boomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2015, 03:59 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yeah, at that price I doubt the Champion is quiet at all... likely much louder than an acceptable generator at a campground. 59db at full load would be a good recommended rating, that is what Honda and Yamaha are rated at.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:57 AM   #17

Memo for "dagmandt".... Price does not indicate sound volume...suggest you do some internet research....Google the Champion 3100 and you will educate yourself.
There is a video (with sound) of a Champion 3100 watt inverter-generator running in both economy mode and at full load....I have heard the Honda and the Champion and they have similar sound levels IMHO.

Happy Camping!
Old 06-22-2015, 07:10 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just to confirm, is this the model being spoken of?

3100 Watt Inverter Generator - Champion Generators 75531I - Portable Generators - Camping World

Not that I would buy it from here, just verifying model.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:19 AM   #19

Yes that is the model......Note: Costco has it for $699 until mid-July....$100 off...regular price $799..... Easy to beat camping world......check Cabelas as they also feature this unit and the 2000watt unit at sale savings!
(Note: Costco has the same Unit with a black housing labeled 2800watt constant load and 3100watt surge load....same unit specifications and features.
Happy Camping!
Old 06-22-2015, 09:26 AM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomster View Post
Memo for "dagmandt".... Price does not indicate sound volume...suggest you do some internet research....Google the Champion 3100 and you will educate yourself.
There is a video (with sound) of a Champion 3100 watt inverter-generator running in both economy mode and at full load....I have heard the Honda and the Champion and they have similar sound levels IMHO.

Happy Camping!
Price is an indicator of a specific level of quality for the most part. To get a quiet inverter generator you have a specific price point that you have to meet. I have yet to find a low cost generator that comes close to acceptable DB levels. I'd like to see a DB meter reading. I'm happy to be proven wrong but I bet the DB reading is likely 5db higher which is significant.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:53 AM   #21

There seems to be some confusion as to whether we are talking inverter or construction grade here. The inverter generators are for RV use and meet DB levels for that purpose.
No one should use contruction grade generators at a campground or near other RVs.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:46 AM   #22

Jayco Owners Club
Maybe a dumb a question but if there is no fuel in the generator can it be stored on it's side. The reason for asking is that my storage compartment is 15.5" high at the door and not much higher inside. I would like to store the generator in that area. I know that the answer is probably no but had to ask. I also know that someone is going to suggest that I store it in the bed of my pickup but I am using a 4Runner as my tow vehicle and really don't want the generator inside it.
boater1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:34 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater1217 View Post
Maybe a dumb a question but if there is no fuel in the generator can it be stored on it's side. The reason for asking is that my storage compartment is 15.5" high at the door and not much higher inside. I would like to store the generator in that area. I know that the answer is probably no but had to ask. I also know that someone is going to suggest that I store it in the bed of my pickup but I am using a 4Runner as my tow vehicle and really don't want the generator inside it.

There are several 1000w units that are shorter than 15" tall but won't work if you planned to run an A/C unit.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:13 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater1217 View Post
I would be concerned about the oil getting where it shouldn't. Are you limited by the storage height itself or is that the height of the door? I have to tilt some things to slide through the door but sits upright inside.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:22 AM   #25

I tow with a FJ Cruiser SUV and transport my Champion 3100watt unit with a full gas tank (with fuel switch in the OFF position) in the back cargo area when towing.
No gas fumes (I have done this many, many times and no problems). I transport extra gas in a special container on the tounge of my travel trailer in plastic gas cans.

If you place the unit on its side it will spill oil and I assume leak gasoline too!
Another option would be to put it in your travel trailer...secured so it does not move about. Third option: Install 2inch reliever to rear of travel trailer and use one of those cargo platforms that fit into 2inch receiver to hold generator.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:57 AM   #26

Jayco Owners Club
I am looking at putting a hitch on the back of the trailer. I already have the basket. That may be the best solution without spending an extra grand for the two Honda solution. Thanks for the input.
boater1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:24 PM   #27

I must be confused.

1 BTU/hr = 0.29307107 Watts
17,500 BTU/Hr = 5129 Watts

How is it that a 3100 watt generator can run a 17,500 BTU AC Unit?
MattTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:40 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the 3100w Champion, bought from Costco when on sale a few months ago. Works great. OOBE was excellent. Very quiet. Especially in economode. Economode works well, idling up and down with the demand of the air conditioner cycling. Just fits in a storage bay of the Motorhome, with a little tilting to finagle it in there.

I have used Honda 2000 and 3000 quite a bit. While they are better built and bit quieter unit than the Champion, there is nothing wrong with the Champion per se. And for a lot less money the Champion is a better value, IMHO.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, inverter