Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:30 PM   #1

First impressions of a new Champion 3100 watt inverter generator

I'm a very happy camper....right out of the box...added oil and gas...one easy pull and it started right up....amazing...gave it the acid test...Air Conditioner on high...17,5000 BtTU...as quiet as any generator I have ever heard...cost was an amazing $750 at Cabelas (on sale!).

Now please don't sign on and tell me Honda is better...for what Honda charges it better be a whole lot better!
For the price I paid I'm one very happy camper.
If you are retired like me and money doesn't grow on trees in your neighborhood
you might consider the Champion 3100 watt inverter generator.

Happy Camping!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2015, 02:48 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomster View Post
I'm a very happy camper....right out of the box...added oil and gas...one easy pull and it started right up....amazing...gave it the acid test...Air Conditioner on high...17,5000 BtTU...as quiet as any generator I have ever heard...cost was an amazing $750 at Cabelas (on sale!).

Now please don't sign on and tell me Honda is better...for what Honda charges it better be a whole lot better!
For the price I paid I'm one very happy camper.
If you are retired like me and money doesn't grow on trees in your neighborhood
you might consider the Champion 3100 watt inverter generator.

Happy Camping!
Really? I didn't realize they made RV air cons in 17,500, let alone 10 times that size.
Don't you just hate it when your finger stutter!?

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:31 AM   #3

The older I get the more i "stutter".... But the Champion didn't !
Been doing the RV thing off and on since 1983....NRA member forever .....
Old 05-12-2015, 07:55 AM   #4

Interesting at a nice price. Be interested to hear how far a tank goes. The electric/remote start is a nice option.

A bit louder it would seem by spec as they measure at 23ft and I think Honda is 10 (one is slightly quieter, the other is much quieter but lacks wheels). However as you said at 1/2 the cost the Champion is an attractive buy.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:28 PM   #5

I bought from Costco in March - the sale was $100 off so I paid $699+tax. I sold my Honda 2000i because it wouldn't power my 15k AC. The champion does.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:59 AM   #6

Why do you need an inverter gen?
Shouldn't the converter charger handle that functions?
Thanks,

Ed
Old 06-12-2015, 01:06 PM   #7

Ed, Not all generators are created equal. Inverter-generators supply safe consistent power and are safe for all appliances and electronic equipment such as computers etc. The old style (contractor grade) generators cost less than the newer design Inverter-generator. They do not supply consistent power and are big, heavy and run very very very LOUD!
Inverter-generators run quieter (they all publish dba sound ratings) and are better suited for campground use where loud generators make you a bad neighbor.

Cheap loud "contractor" generators in the 3,500 watt range sell for about $295 and would make so much noise normal conservation within 20 feet or more of such units would only be possible if the unit was off....not the kind of thing you want to use in any campground.

Inverter generators in the 3,000 watt range cost much more...Honda units often exceed $3,000 when not on "sale"....I considered my Champion 3,100 watt unit to be a real bargain at only $749..."nunyadamn" just posted an even lower price of $699. We both went to the 3,000 watt class inverter-generators to be able to power our RV Air Conditioners and not drive fellow campers crazy with the sound from our generators....good neighbors....happy campers.

Hope this explains why "Inverter-generators" are best for electronic stuff and happy campers too!

Happy Camping
Old 06-12-2015, 01:21 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the report. Any idea of how loud it is? You can actually measure by smartphone... (For purposes of comparing to the Honda)
Old 06-12-2015, 01:55 PM   #9

Perhaps the best way to compare is by the published dba ratings.
If my memory is correct the average dba rating for both the Honda and Champion are similar.
I have heard both brands running and to my ear they are very similar....but...it is important to note all these units have two sound levels depending on load...I set mine in the economy mode which is the quietest and it automatically kicks up to full power when the A/C goes on or the microwave is in use. It then drops back to economy mode when the load drops off....all units are slightly louder when maximum power load is applied. The economy mode saves gas and lowers noise levels on all brands.
Please note if you ask a Honda owner what unit is quieter he will respond "Honda".
The reverse is true if you ask a Yahama or a Champion owner.....ask me and I'll tell you they are about the same...ask a camper who doesn't own a generator and he will say they are all too loud.
A neighboring camper had a Harbor Freight 2400watt inverter-generator that I know only cost $499.....it was very quiet...not enough power for my A/C but very impressive for the low cost.
The added plus for these units are in a power failure you can use them to power selective appliances in your home until power is restored!

The places I like to camp at the most all seem to be "no-hook-up" campgrounds and these units make things much better out in the boondocks!

Happy Camping!
Old 06-12-2015, 02:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
Why do you need an inverter gen?
Shouldn't the converter charger handle that functions?
Thanks,

Ed
Only if you are plugged into shore power. What if you are in a National Forest or a state park without services or out on the desert?
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:51 PM   #11

To the OP: Thanks for the review. If I buy a generator, that is the one for me.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:10 PM   #12

SkiSmuggs, Since we both live in the north country the idea of having a portable generator handy especially in the winter during power failures is a very good idea.
The Champion 3,100 watt unit has built in wheels and a handy pop-up handle to make moving it about easy....no extra wheel kits to buy like many other units I have seen.
It also is RV ready ... Just plug your 30 amp connecting plug in and you are good to go! There are two additional 20 amp plugs also available to power "whatever?".
Overall it is a very well designed unit for power on the go!!!
Old 06-13-2015, 06:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomster View Post
SkiSmuggs, Since we both live in the north country the idea of having a portable generator handy especially in the winter during power failures is a very good idea.
The Champion 3,100 watt unit has built in wheels and a handy pop-up handle to make moving it about easy....no extra wheel kits to buy like many other units I have seen.
It also is RV ready ... Just plug your 30 amp connecting plug in and you are good to go! There are two additional 20 amp plugs also available to power "whatever?".
Overall it is a very well designed unit for power on the go!!!
I moved up here from Virginia soon after the great ice storm of '98. After my home, a generator was my next major purchase. Alas, it is a construction type not suited for RVing. But it is getting a little long in the tooth and the Champion would be an excellent replacement and could do double duty.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:30 AM   #14

Thanks, that clears it up some.
I noticed the Champion 4000/3500 Gen was $369, that's what got me thinking!

Ed

Tags
generator, inverter