Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #29
not too long ago i seen 2 posts not here but
traveling full did 2 things

it saved a guys rv that had a small brake/tire fire as he was in no where land

and a guys life was saved in a car crash where he could not get out but a fire started in the back of a big truck the hit him the RV came up just in time
it was a big truck fire and he keeped the fire back for 45 mins tell help could get there this one was not in the USA

all so i see alot of rvs running hot and add water from the tank to get to a shop

if you have a 100gal tank like i have yeah its is a big load and would cost more to move but in the long run if i can save some one else rv or come in handy some day i well keep a full load then

terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #30
I've been dry camping while playing in the California deserts for 30 years. I've grown accustomed to traveling with a full tank of water (100gal). I keep it full for Earthquake Preparedness and tried draining it when I camped elsewhere that had water and I couldn't tell the difference in mileage or handling and it was a hassle. I travel everywhere full. Everyone has to float their own boat tho !

TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #31
Tiffin Owners Club
We've never dry camped for more than 2 days at a time yet, so can't say we have the most experience. However, we always fill up the fresh whenever we have a good water supply so that we are prepared to go longer than we might have anticipated or encounter water that is not to our liking. The weight has never been an issue, the quality of the water could be.
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 45LP Towing 2013 Ford Flex
using Blue Ox Alladin Towbar & Air Force One Braking System
Follow us on jitrekking.com
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:58 AM   #32
Travel full. Never use any shower or rest rooms other the one I travel with. Might dry camp for a day or two then CG to fill water & dump waste.
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:03 AM   #33
I have always wondered why people don't always travel with their fresh water tank full-at least in a motorized RV. It doesn't add weight-the RV was engineered for the weight and is factored into NCC calculations. Things that save me aggravation and questionable water down the road are worth the slight decrease in MPG.
wingennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #34
There are no dumb questions - but there are less than reasoned answers. If there is a place to fill water tank before you arrive, then fill there; otherwise, go with full tank. We are going to older son's place in Sangre de Christos (7600') to west of Las Vega, New Mexico. He uses water catchment for washing and hauls water for drinking. He is off-grid (6000 or so watts of solar) so we fill 81 gallon tank and another six x 6 gallon water containers when we visit. We carry the water containers when we travel so that we can always go somewhere to get fresh water. The Open Range system has a siphon for winterizing that also hauls in (at different valve settings) water into main tank at about 1.5 gallons/minute. It works well.

We are weight police and do weigh the rig on CAT scales with the 81 gallon filled, the 35 gallon fuel tank filled, and the 50 gallon Transfer-Flow filled as well. The trailer axles are rated at 5250 (10500), the dualie rear axle at 8300# and the front axle at 4500#. Last weighing two weeks ago had us at 9500# on trailer axles, 7200# on rear axle of dualie and 4300# on front axle. 81 gallons of water is about 648# and it can make a difference to folks that are pushing the limit (and a lot of folks go way beyond the limit). I know I did go off subject a bit - but there are reasons to not travel 1000 miles with water you do not need. Admittedly, we fill up in US before we go to Yucatan so that we have potable water on the way down; then use the local water for washing and bottled water for drinking. We thoroughly sanatize when we return to USA.
Reed and Elaine Cundiff
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:56 PM   #35
We have only a 40 gallon tank. We use this unit without the shower head. They don't carry the same model anymore. but this is pretty close. It is the sink sprayer we use for our shower head. We typically use a gallon or less per shower. what really eats up the water is the toilet. Porta-pottie to the rescue there.RINSE ACE 2-in-1 Convertible Showerhead in Chrome-4045 at The Home Depot

1990 28' Georgie Boy, 454, 4bbl, Thorley Headers, Recurved Distributor, 8.75 mpg. RVM 76
BA-in-Mich is offline   Reply With Quote