Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2013, 08:19 AM   #1

First time dry camping

Me and my wife are planning to dry camp the 4th weekend, were going to her cousins in Pa. Any tips as far as how much water to store in my tank and when to run the generator I have a 4000 watt on board generator, and conserving battery power, and any other tips I need to know
mano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #2

Dry Camping

When we dry camp we start with our fresh water tank full and our gray and black tanks empty. When we get up in the morning we start the generator to make coffee and recharge the batteries, usually takes a couple of hours. Then depending on how much power we use during the day, we run the generator before bedtime to start the night with a full charge. If we run the microwave during the day for lunch or something we start the generator for that. One thing to remember is to have your fridge on propane. Another tip is to shut your inverter off when you go to bed. These things use power even if no 110V items are turned on. If your fridge happens to be hooked up to your inverter, it will drain your battery bank within a couple of hours. Have a blast, Steve
steved44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #3

Inverter? Do you mean battery disconnect switch to off ?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #4

Full water, we were able to carry 110 gallons, after 2 days we were down a half, when I asked her about it she stated there are only 2 days left. My reply, "I have to take a shower today!" she can go 4 days on a tank, I can go around 8, alas we have to share the same tank.........
She does not share well.
Generator I end up running once a day for a couple of hours. That dies not count coffee and such, or run at the same time. For cooking we use propane.
So like many of us, if you can get a full load of water carry what gas you can and hopefully you go hone with some if your spouse shares well.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mano View Post
Inverter? Do you mean battery disconnect switch to off ?
Inverter gets you 120 volts ac from your 12 volt DC.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #6

dry camping

Yes, if you have an inverter (it makes 110V out of your 12V battery bank), it does use some current doing this. Even if you have no 110V things running, it will still use some power. Steve
steved44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #7

All right,

I think you guys may have answered my question on another thread about why/how could my fully charged batteries have been drained within a couple hours without my knowingly using any power.

This happend twice at the same repair shop after returning home. Fully charged batteries suddenly drained. It has been a mystery to me. I had never been able to duplicate the experience without having visited the repair shop first.

I think that I smell a rat. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge. We newbies need all the help we can get.

Bob
bubbajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When we're dry camping we use one these one cup brew systems, just boil water on the camp stove and pour into the top less than four bucks at amazon, works great! If you want save on water, you can use your dish water to flush the toilet. we also have 13" AC/DC TV we use. 12 volt fans come in handy, LED lanterns will cut on unnecessary lighting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fisherman's13 044.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	41647  
Old 07-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved44 View Post
When we get up in the morning we start the generator to make coffee and
We use an old fashioned percolator on the propane stove. No generator needed in the morning.
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mano View Post
Any tips as far as how much water to store in my tank and when to run the generator
Honestly, that has to be as dumb a question as I've ever heard!

Although I can't possibly imagine what you had it mind: Like . . . how much of a challenge would it be to start off with a FULL water tank!

And as for when to run the gen, how about when the batteries get down a tad?? With a coupe of house batteries, three or four days dry, tends to work rather well.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan.Birch View Post
Honestly, that has to be as dumb a question as I've ever heard!

Although I can't possibly imagine what you had it mind: Like . . . how much of a challenge would it be to start off with a FULL water tank!

And as for when to run the gen, how about when the batteries get down a tad?? With a coupe of house batteries, three or four days dry, tends to work rather well.
Really Stan? The dumbest, I usually run 1/4 tank till I get to my destination, fill-up there or close by! I try not to let the house battery's fall below 12.5 volts. mano is looking for tips and hints! Not to have his b_ lls busted.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by damdannyboy View Post

Really Stan? The dumbest, I usually run 1/4 tank till I get to my destination, fill-up there or close by! I try not to let the house battery's fall below 12.5 volts. mano is looking for tips and hints! Not to have his b_ lls busted.
Here, here. The only dumb question is the one that isn't asked.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #13

Thanks Damdannyboy, I meant how much water would I need for 2 days didn't want to carry extra weight
Old 07-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by damdannyboy View Post

Damdannyboy, if you leave with a 1/4 tank and fill up when you get close, how do you find a place to fill up assuming your dry camping someplace other than a campground?? How do you find places to dump afterwards??