Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:22 PM   #15

I would recommend you search AGM Deep Cycle Batteries for RVs on Amazon.
AGM Batteries last longer and most have higher AH (amp hour) ratings.
They are sealed and do not require maintenance. They can be shipped via FedEx or UPS because they are sealed units.
On Amazon I found and bought a "Universal Power Group AGM 12 volt, 100 AH deep cycle battery group 27 size for my RV. It arrived in excellent condition fully charged...shipped from distributor in Texas...two year warranty....excellent reviews...should last 5 to 8 years.
I did have a Walmart combination RV/Marine deep cycle liquid acid battery last year that I returned after about 5 months (had a one year warranty). These batteries are not true deep cycle batteries.
I did a lot of research before I bought the one on Amazon. Much too much detail to go into here but the AGM type are worth the little extra cost.
Make sure you measure location for battery...if you do not own a battery box buy that at Walmart...buy battery from Amazon...quality-price-value.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2016, 02:32 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Interstate battery has a Marine/Deep cycle SRM 27 for $122 + $10 without a core. Just bought 2 to replace my 5+ year old ones.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Back to your original question, how long your battery will last will depend on how you use it. When we had our Lance Camper, we could boondock in the Desert for 3-4 days before the battery died. But that was just for lights, water pump, and the fridge running off propane, which still draws minimal 12v power. Now if you try and use the heater, it would not make it thru the night. At first we just carried an extra fully charged battery with us in the event we depleted the first one. As time went on and we could afford it we bought a small 1000 watt Honda generator, which took care of all our battery issues for that size RV and what it was equipped with.

I'm debating a 100w solar that runs about $600-800. I'm sure I can find one cheaper. But a Honda 1000 also runs about $500-$800. I've seen them used for $500 just not sure if I can trust it. Would a 1000 charge the battery run lights, wall outlets and water pump?

In time I will swap to LED
Old 04-08-2016, 08:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeymozzer View Post
I'm debating a 100w solar that runs about $600-800. I'm sure I can find one cheaper. But a Honda 1000 also runs about $500-$800. I've seen them used for $500 just not sure if I can trust it. Would a 1000 charge the battery run lights, wall outlets and water pump?

You can also find the Honda eu2000i generator for $500-800 used $999 new
and it would be more than enough power....it's double the output of the 1000

Honda generators are so reliable you need to mention them in your will ! Just keep Gas stabilizer mixed in the tank, and run it every couple of months to keep it working well.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:18 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you won't be trying to run the air conditioning (if you have it), yes the 1000 Honda gennie will charge the battery(ies). Don't use the little 12 volt plug that is made for the gennie, use a decent full automatic extensive charger that will put out at somewhere between a tenth and an eight of the storage capacity of your battery. For example, a one hundred amp hour battery can safely charge at ten amps, and as high as 12.5 amps. I have a 30 amp charger for my set of batteries, and it didn't make my gennie sound like it's under load at all.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeymozzer View Post

The Honda 1000 will be plenty of power for what you need. It will not run your AC though if you have one. I would run the generator at night while we were sitting around the campfire, I could plug in a couple outdoor lights and it would still give the battery a good charge to get us through the night even if we used the heater a little. Then run it again for a few hours in the morning. The nice thing about the Honda,at the time we bought ours they were the only one with s super quiet engine, and you could drain the carburetor at the end of the trip so no gas would be left sitting to plug it up.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:24 AM   #21

Our Caribou camper has a 2000 generator. It is set up with a switch on the wall to run either the AC or the microwave, but does not have enough power for both. IMHO, if you plan to use AC I would opt for the larger gen. If this doesn't matter a 1000 would probably OK.

I'm just thinking it may get pretty warm down there in southern CA. I know we used ours a lot during the times we were in the southern states, especially those with high humidities.

Steve
Old 04-09-2016, 11:25 PM   #22

Thanks, I'm thinking the 1000 is great for the price. We camp in full hook ups 100% of the time but the genny will give us a chance to go boondock maybe 5%

One local trip under my belt....many more notches to nitch
Joeymozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:03 AM   #23

Renogy 100w suitcase portable is about $275. Why do folks insist on paying so much more? A Champion 2000 inverter generator is about $500 new and gets good reviews.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:27 AM   #24

No matter what generator you buy, you need a battery for the times it's not running.

Unless your going to keep it running 24 hours, the fridge is not going to work.

Buy a used battery. There must be wrecking yards nearby. Try for the biggest one that you can fit. Anything is better then nothing.

Then you have something to charge, whether by generator or jumpers from the tow vehicle.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:33 AM   #25

For an RV you need a deep cycle battery...any old used battery will not do.

Best high quality battery (IMHO) in the true deep cycle class is the AGM deep cycle group 27 size 100 AH battery from Amazon....search: Universal Power Group AGM 12 volt model UB121000. Because it is a sealed battery (no maintenance ever and leak proof) it can be shipped FedEx or UPS.
Battery itself is about $149 plus $10 shipping...2 year warranty.

If you insist on Walmart the get a RV/Marine deep cycle battery group 24 or group 27 size (bigger is better but measure to be sure it will fit space available)
Cost: about $89 to $99. I had one new last year and it lasted 4 months...returned for refund...has a one year warranty.

Batteries typically last about 2 to 4 years for liquid acid type....and about
5 to 8 years for AGM batteries.

Do some internet research ...the 12 volt way of life...to get an education about batteries and how they work...how to charge them...their maintenance (if liquid acid type) ....note: AGM= no maintenance...long lasting...more power.
Knowledge is power!
Old 04-11-2016, 03:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomster View Post
For an RV you need a deep cycle battery...any old used battery will not do.

Best high quality battery (IMHO) in the true deep cycle class is the AGM deep cycle group 27 size 100 AH battery from Amazon....search: Universal Power Group AGM 12 volt model UB121000. Because it is a sealed battery (no maintenance ever and leak proof) it can be shipped FedEx or UPS.
Battery itself is about $149 plus $10 shipping...2 year warranty.

If you insist on Walmart the get a RV/Marine deep cycle battery group 24 or group 27 size (bigger is better but measure to be sure it will fit space available)
Cost: about $89 to $99. I had one new last year and it lasted 4 months...returned for refund...has a one year warranty.

Batteries typically last about 2 to 4 years for liquid acid type....and about
5 to 8 years for AGM batteries.

Do some internet research ...the 12 volt way of life...to get an education about batteries and how they work...how to charge them...their maintenance (if liquid acid type) ....note: AGM= no maintenance...long lasting...more power.
Knowledge is power!

Would this be it? No maintenance meaning? Do I need to keep it on a charger when not in use? I don't want to leave it on trailer since its in a storage lot. I can leave it in my garage and have a battery charger.

Universal Power Group 45978 Sealed Lead Acid Battery https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044Z8DJW..._CQadxb93XVD4C
Old 04-11-2016, 04:29 PM   #27

What's group size mean? I'm finding 31 but not sure if it's compatible

One local trip under my belt....many more notches to nitch
Joeymozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:43 AM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Group size is a system in which different battery maunfacurers can make batteries that fit in a certain sized space.

https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/tool...oup-sizes.html

Tags
camping