Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:18 PM   #1

First time dry camping

I've always posted up in sites w full hook ups. Granted this is local to shops and stores. I might be camping off the beach in Malibu Ca. There are no hook ups. I have a few questions:

I don't have a battery: what is a decent price to spend if I will
Dry camp 1-2 times per year? Budget maybe ($75-150)

Will this be needed to charge the battery? Or?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B019R3WTYA/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?qid=1460084938&sr=1-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=rv+solar+charger &dpPl=1&dpID=51Skhcxb3ML&ref=plSrch

Will a battery last 3-4 days? I will only use lights and fridge.

Do I need a hose just for filling the water tank or will the one I use for city water be ok?

What else should I know?
I will try not to wash dishes too often and use toilets outside when possible.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2016, 10:58 PM   #2

Will the refrigerator be running on electricity only, or propane with electricity only to ignite it?

I would think any hose approved for potable water would be OK.

The 12 volt deep cycle batteries for my camper have been in the $100.00 + or- range. I just bought two 6 volt batteries for the MH for $122.00 each at Batteries+. Recently my 12 volt batteries have come from Wal-Mart and generally last 2-3 years. I've had others that cost more but the life span and performance weren't much better.

Don't know much about solar panels as we've always used a generator. The MH has a solar panel so I guess I'll be learning.

We've nearly always camped without hookups.

Best of luck.

Steve

Old 04-07-2016, 11:12 PM   #3

It will be on propane. Yea I wanna go w 6v but can't afford now and not sure if it's worth buying since I only will use 1-2 times a year

One local trip under my belt....many more notches to nitch
Joeymozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:13 PM   #4

10 watt solar is just sufficient to MAINTAIN a fully charged battery in storage. You would need at least 100 watts for charging.

Attaching the RV battery with jumper cables to your vehicle battery with the engine running is one way to charge. Run the vehicle with lights, A/C, heater off. Your RV battery will charge in about 40 minutes.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:15 PM   #5

First off....
It is illegal to tow a trailer w/o a good working battery in trailer. That battery is what supplies the 12V DC power to the trailer brakes IF trailer becomes disconnected from tow vehicle in an emergency

How come a 2014 model doesn't already have a battery???

Get a good deep cycle type battery. At least a Group 27 12V battery

A 10W $30 solar panel is not going to do much of anything except provide a trickle charge .......not going to recharge a low battery

One 12V battery is good for maybe 2 days of boondocking....water pump, fridge dc controls, few lights. After that is will need a recharge via shore power to on board converter or generator power to on board converter for several hours.

Potable water hose for city water connection is same one you would use to fill your freshwater tank
Old 04-08-2016, 12:53 AM   #6

Battery got stolen. Doesn't my TV battery supply power to the TT during transport?

Old 04-08-2016, 01:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeymozzer View Post
Battery got stolen. Doesn't my TV battery supply power to the TT during transport?
TV brake controller will operate TT brakes during normal braking actions.

But should TT become disconnected from TV how to you suppose the TT brakes will work then??

The 'Emergency Break Away Switch'....the one that the pin with cable and gets attached to TV....Pin get yanked out and TT battery applies FULL voltage to TT brakes to stop trailer.
Federal Law is that the TT battery should provide that Full voltage for 15 minutes

So replace that stolen battery before next tow so that you are safe and others around you are safer should your TT become disconnected.

That is also reason for safety chains and crossing them....idea is to catch TT tongue in the 'cradle' of the crossed chains, keep TT from careening off down the hwy and TT brakes to engage fully.

Safety .........
Old 04-08-2016, 01:16 AM   #8

Thank you very much. I'm online looking at batteries at Walmart. Not sure if the $80 ones are a good buy

Old 04-08-2016, 01:42 AM   #9

Would this work?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BFC...-EL&ref=plSrch

Also my TT does have a connection for a zamp solar plug but not sure what all is needed or do I need to wire anything?

Old 04-08-2016, 10:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

Get a good deep cycle type battery. At least a Group 27 12V battery

These are what I've bought at Wal-Mart for our camper and I've been satisfied with them. There are also other brands that generally cost more, but from my experience have not been that much better.

Amp hours will give you a good idea of what can be expected from a deep cycle battery. This should be written on the battery. More is better.

Others may differ.

Steve
Old 04-08-2016, 10:58 AM   #11

Consider buying a small cheapish used Honda generator. That would solve all your problems.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:11 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
100 watts solar is bare minimum in my opinion. I used a 100 watt panel for my house batteries when boondocking in the AZ desert. I have no idea how much good strong sunlight you'll get on the beach in Malibu.

All the solar in the world won't matter until you get a battery. Research that and get one, and we'll all talk about what to do next.

I guess you don't own and can't borrow a gennie? A gennie without a battery means the gennie runs the whole time you're in the trailer and aren't asleep. With a battery, that means you charge the battery and turn the gennie off. Like I said, I think you're best bet is get the battery, then figure out how to charge it, solar or gennie.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:05 PM   #13

Back to your original question, how long your battery will last will depend on how you use it. When we had our Lance Camper, we could boondock in the Desert for 3-4 days before the battery died. But that was just for lights, water pump, and the fridge running off propane, which still draws minimal 12v power. Now if you try and use the heater, it would not make it thru the night. At first we just carried an extra fully charged battery with us in the event we depleted the first one. As time went on and we could afford it we bought a small 1000 watt Honda generator, which took care of all our battery issues for that size RV and what it was equipped with.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:22 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I should add that my trailer has all LED lighting, and I use one light at a time 95% of the time. That info, and all LED lights, makes a big difference.

Tags
camping