Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:46 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Question Flaming Gorge Dispersed Camping Locations

As part of my migration south, I am going to spend a couple weeks dry/dispersed camping at Flaming Gorge (WY/CO). Since Flaming Gorge is so huge and there are so many places to dry/dispersed camp, I would sure appreciate it if I could get some suggestions for specific areas to target. Please?

More specifics. I am a 40' Class A towing a Jeep. I spend most of my time dry camping so I am used to dirt roads and reasonable "challenges" (which do not include ditches, sand traps, super tight and narrow corners, etc...). I would prefer not be camped with a whole slug of other people. I'd like to be in a decent spot for some kayaking (but do not need to be camped right on the water). I will be arriving from Rock Springs, WY so someplace on the northern side would be good. Finally, I need a reasonable cell phone signal for work (I have external antenna, amplifier, etc...). Given all that and the size of Flaming Gorge, I fear I could drive around for days looking for "the spot".

Any Flaming Gorge experts out there??

MUCH thanks in advance!

JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2015, 08:19 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, I would be interested in hearing responses.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:59 PM   #3

Perhaps this could be moved to the Boondocking section.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:18 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Perhaps this could be moved to the Boondocking section.
If that would help get some information, I would be all for it! How to do it is not obvious though, perhaps a moderator task??
Old 09-07-2015, 09:33 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I suppose another question is: Does the wind blow there a lot this time of year?
Old 09-13-2015, 10:07 PM   #6

I don't have a direct answer, but would like to offer some suggestions...

I surf an area in advance on Google Earth Satellite View. The lil Icon at the bottom of the Page indicates Elevation. Moved around, it can show Run/Rise of a Road, and indicate Grade. Developed Boondocking areas show up as Dirt 'circles', of course, and even Campfire Rings can be seen while zoomed in. The 'Ruler' Function can measure distance, and even turn-around space for a Big Rig. At the Webpage bottom, see the date the Image was obtained. There are often parked Rigs shown in the Image if is a Summer Image.

You can e.mail Google Earth Screen Shots to yourself. Store that Image of a zoomed-in area of interest to an SD Card. Pop that into your PC or Rig Flat Screen to pick a specific Site once you're in the area.

I review Cell Coverage on line on the Verizon Coverage Map; my Carrier. At the Sheep Creek Campground just up from Manila seen attached, I was in a fringe area. This was known in advance, as was 3G and 4G coverage. With an Amp, you'll enjoy extended Cell coverage. Of course, Cell Tower placement is to cover local Highways, and Towns/Villages. The closer you are to them line-of-sight [say, 5 vs. 15 Miles], the more likely Cell coverage is ensured. For important Calls, I use Speakerphone, and set my Phone upright on the Hood or Roof of my Truck as a Ground Plane. This improves connectivity once I've determined where the Tower is. I'll jockey my Trailer to be able to call out a Window. Opening the Window helps a bit. Cell Towers are often 'co-located' with Sheriff/Emergency Antennas, since AC Power is run up to them all. Binoculars are my friend.-)

There's a few Regional Airports around, as indicated by Icons on Google Earth. Give them a call re: historical and current year Wind conditions.

North of Flaming Gorge, the area opened up to high, Sage Plains. There were Boondocking areas there. I drove into them w/o Trailer, just for Recon. Easily seen on Google Earth; cross referenced to BLM and other on line Maps.

We've upgraded to a Nash 23d Bumper Pull. I'll head up to that area again with Da Wife, since I really enjoyed it Solo w/Da Pooch.

I hope this helps...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sheep Creek Campground - Play-Mor TT.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	106833  
Old 09-14-2015, 08:39 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Thanks Engineer_Guy,

All good tips for scouting possible locations. I use those as well as topographical maps and climatic data that both available online as well as website descriptions/reviews to find possible areas. Those were the tools that made me think Flaming Gorge might be a good spot. However; I've found that data rarely tells the whole story, first hand experience is typically of value which is the reason I ask here.

One thing that is hard to determine without first hand experience is the "feel" of a place. Some places feel safe, others not so much. I have no idea why but it is nice to get this feel from those who have been here.

Now that I am here, the info that would have been most useful is that the gravel roads (between highway 530 and the camping spots along the shore, not the busiest boat ramp roads) are pretty rough. The Jeep rolls over them without a problem but I found only two (on the west side of the Gorge) on which I could take the MH. I have a very hard time making this determination from Google Earth. I know some folks simply will not take their MH on a gravel road, I am not one of them. I was super excited to find a couple of amazing spots on these two roads but sadly, neither of them had cell coverage - even with an amplifier and good multi-band, omni-directional antenna on a twenty foot pole. So, I ended up at the south end, just inside Utah.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:09 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Road surface conditions on dirt roads can change from one time of the year to another. What was freshly graded in the spring could be thrashed and full of tank trap sized holes in the fall. Sometimes, you just gotta show up and see for yourself, and judge what you are comfortable with.

It's like beer. Some folks like mass produced easy to find and get stuff, others are willing to go well out of their way and take certain risks to get the harder to find stuff they enjoy. How can anyone figure that out for you over the internet?
Old 09-14-2015, 02:18 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Road surface conditions on dirt roads can change from one time of the year to another.
Now when did that start??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
It's like beer. Some folks like mass produced easy to find and get stuff, others are willing to go well out of their way and take certain risks to get the harder to find stuff they enjoy. How can anyone figure that out for you over the internet?
Is that supposed to be a helpful comment 1bigmess?? Asking as I'm not really sure.

I don't recall asking anyone to "figure" anything out for me, just looking for some pointers from those that had been to the area already. I guess maybe that is not tolerated here in the "Boondocking" section (or in the "Locations & Info Section" since this thread was moved from there).
Old 09-14-2015, 02:34 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
One person's "feel" for a place could have absolutely no meaning to you, yet that is what you asked for. How can one person's "feel" for a place be the same as yours over the internet?

"Feelings, whoah-oh-oh, feelings..."

Some folks like this side of the tracks, others don't. If you need it explained further to you, I'm not the one to do that, as personally I don't have much use for feelings on the internet.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:37 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Folks, please refer to our Community Rules:
Quote:
Be Courteous!
Please think before you post and keep your comments limited to the topic at hand; above all be nice. We encourage everyone to participate in and enjoy the Community while at the same time adhering to these rules:
Our rules extend to all sections of the website including messaging functions, blogs, galleries and any other public or private posting.
Do not engage in personal attacks. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Sarcasm, belligerence, insults, profanity, extreme anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation,and national origin are not acceptable.
Please follow them.

Thank you,
Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:42 AM   #12

I would appreciate some GPS coordinates to some of these boon docking locations!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:21 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
I would appreciate some GPS coordinates to some of these boon docking locations!
Hi George - you bet!

My current location is listed as 40.98676 -109.62791. However; when found on Google Maps, it appears to be more like 40.993883, -109.627867. These two photos taken this morning, just for you!!

The two accessible spots that had no cell signal were at about the following coordinates. Both of these are from memory using Google Maps so I might be off a little ways.
41.141323, -109.577755
41.060035, -109.600847

I may go exploring in the Jeep again this week. I think
41.068309, -109.552934 looks like a possibility but need to scout it out.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:22 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Folks, please refer to our Community Rules:

Please follow them.

Thank you,
Lori-
I assure you I was *not* being sarcastic and I am thoughtful in my replies, but also direct. It is not my fault or problem if my point of view written succinctly hurts someone's feelings especially if it wasn't intended to. If you believe I am violating the forum rules, contact me privately.

Tags
camping, cat