Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2018, 05:35 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette Racer View Post
Your battery bank is like a fuel tank, how long and far do you want to go? My whole house 2k inverter uses 3 amps just idling, add in the TV and dish receiver and one led light and our amps go up to 13-14 amps, when you use that for 6 hrs during the evening you are close to 80 amp hours down by bedtime, add in the use of the onboard propane heater overnight and by morning we are usually down about 125-135 amp hours. We have a 780 amp hour battery bank so we have about 390 amp hour to use and stay above 50% discharge, however with that said real life is that with 135 AH used, we are actually at 12.4 volts which is about 75% state of charge. Bottom line is if you are going to be off grid for awhile, put in all the batteries you can afford or carry. As for the GC2 batteries at Sam's club, I found that 2 years is about it, I now have 6 Trojans T145's which is night and day difference from 6 premium GC2's I had that were rated at 232 AH each. If you are not off grid much I would just go with 2 or 3 12V marine/deep cycle batteries and be done with it.
12.4 volts is only 75 % if the batteries are disconnected and rested. More like 80% or higher if you were still pulling power recently.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2018, 05:48 PM   #30

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryn View Post
,,, As far as the duracells at Costco, all I can tell you is that one of the local interstate dealers was lamenting that the ones costco carries are definitely their "entry level" ones, not the more premium models.,,,
Isn't that a bit like asking a Ford dealer how a Mustang compares to a Camaro?
Old 05-11-2018, 08:38 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Isn't that a bit like asking a Ford dealer how a Mustang compares to a Camaro?
Maybe, but perhaps more like asking a ford dealer how a Mustang compares to a Fiesta since both batteries are made by the same company.

Both the mustang and fiesta are "cars" but very different performance / use goals.

It isn't always easy to explain to a customer how two sealed boxes with "stuff inside" are different from each other - but can be quite different.

We have the same problem with our products. It isn't always so obvious how to explain to a customer the value of high performance components.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:33 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryn View Post
Maybe, but perhaps more like asking a ford dealer how a Mustang compares to a Fiesta since both batteries are made by the same company.

Both the mustang and fiesta are "cars" but very different performance / use goals.

It isn't always easy to explain to a customer how two sealed boxes with "stuff inside" are different from each other - but can be quite different.

We have the same problem with our products. It isn't always so obvious how to explain to a customer the value of high performance components.
Ask yourself who gets dinner. Basic sales is that your product is always better than the other guys. If you work for Interstate and sell the customer a Duracell battery the Duracell salesman eats, you do not. It comes down to that level.

FWIW - sometimes there is no value to the customer for high performance components. Just the opposite at times as in one pays more for something that works less well over time.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:58 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
12.4 volts is only 75 % if the batteries are disconnected and rested. More like 80% or higher if you were still pulling power recently.
Thanks, I forgot to mention "rested", you are correct.
Vette Racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:00 PM   #34

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Ask yourself who gets dinner. Basic sales is that your product is always better than the other guys. If you work for Interstate and sell the customer a Duracell battery the Duracell salesman eats, you do not. It comes down to that level.

FWIW - sometimes there is no value to the customer for high performance components. Just the opposite at times as in one pays more for something that works less well over time.
Exactly, and all I know about Duracell GC2 batteries is the set I installed back in early March of 2013 are still going strong.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:56 AM   #35

I would put lithion ion batteries in it. Much quicker charging and more advailable use. I will be going with Chevy Volt battery.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:20 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
I would put lithion ion batteries in it. Much quicker charging and more advailable use. I will be going with Chevy Volt battery.
Good luck with that! Lots of YouTube vids on reusing the Volt batteries, BUT will take some $ to safely drop them down in voltage and they are less stable then the LiFePo's.

Love the see you project when you do it. Ironically the interest in these batteries are making them more $$$ and less attractive.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:43 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Good luck with that! Lots of YouTube vids on reusing the Volt batteries, BUT will take some $ to safely drop them down in voltage and they are less stable then the LiFePo's.

Love the see you project when you do it. Ironically the interest in these batteries are making them more $$$ and less attractive.
I know of several doing this. One has a custom Spacecraft running entire unit off the battery. Solar and park power is to charge battery only. Doing mine the same. As far as price, complete battery running 2500. Not bad for 17kw
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries, inverter