Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2015, 06:08 AM   #1

Free Standing Battery to Run Portable Fan?

Let me preface my question by saying I don't know much about mechanical things as my husband always handled those things. So please don't laugh at my ignorance. I have a small 22 foot class C. It has 2 batteries..the engine battery and a deep cycle house battery. I have never boondocked but will be on the road a lot this summer and would like to try Walmart and others for a quick overnight stay. I know not to use generator. I have an extra unused deep cycle battery. Can I use it to run a portable fan? If so, how would I keep it charged? Would a portable battery charger work? I don't want to take a chance of having dead batteries by using my house or engine batteries. Is using an extra free standing battery a good idea or not? How do you stay cool at night while boondocking without solar panels or generator? Thanks!
smiybrneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2015, 07:13 AM   #2

You could use and extra Deep cycle battery with an inverter that's changes DC volts to 120 ac volts for the fan if that's what the fan needs. and yes you could keep it charged with a portable battery charger. if its 12 volts. you can hook it up to the battery and still charge the same way. But to me if your going to only stay in a Walmart then goto a camp ground. in the Camp ground you will plug the camper into shore power and that will charge the house battery so I would just run the fan off the house battery it will not hurt it for just for a night
Thornhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:24 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Where were you planning on putting the battery? If you have room next to your house battery, you can just wire it parallel to the existing battery. You would have to locate it where it is vented or where you can install a vented battery box.

No reason not to run generator at most Walmarts, there are trucks there that idle and run their cooling units and APUs.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:25 AM   #4

The most efficient is a 12v fan. You can get a 12V receptacle with alligator clips for the stand alone battery to plug the fan into. However, your house battery should be good for a night if you are careful with lights, etc (LED bulbs!). Your engine battery should be unaffected, I think so once you start your engine the house battery should charge.
If you go with the standalone, you will need a battery charger for it.
I also carry a battery powered fan that takes about 8 D cell batteries just in case. You can always run into the Walmart and buy batteries but it could get expensive. I've never used it, but better to have it and not need it.
If boondocking on a regular basis, look into someone helping you to upgrade your battery situation. If you only have room for a single house battery and it is a Group 24, you should be able to replace it with a Group 27 to go from 80 amp hours to 95AH. If you have the room, go with dual matched batteries, 12v in parallel or 2 6V in series to make 12v. You will need someone who knows what they are doing, but an RV dealer would be outrageously expensive.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:11 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies, my house battery is in a little compartment underneath the step at the entrance and there is only room for one battery. I have tried the D size battery operated fan..not for boondocking but for sitting outside or whereever and had three to die on me last summer after about two or three weeks of use. I guess I should have returned them to the store but I just kept buying another one until after the 3rd. I am heat intolerant due to having had thyroid cancer so I use a fan anytime I am outside. My plan is to set the deep cycle battery on the floor behind the driver's seat, hook an inverter to it and plug in the fan but then someone mentioned venting it. So does that mean I can't just sit it on the floor? Because of the location under the step I cannot connect an inverter to the house battery and using the cig lighter for a 9 volt fan would keep me awake worrying I would get up to a dead engine battery.
smiybrneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:53 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would suggest you get a Fantastic Vent Endless Breeze Fan. It could be used in or out of the RV and just plugs into a cigarette type jack. You won't have to worry about it failing and it does a nice job.

Endless Breeze Fan
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:46 AM   #7

The free standing battery only needs venting while charging, so you should take it outside for that. You can get a 35 Amp/Hour sealed battery for $65-75 from Amazon that would be more appropriate to use inside and could be charged inside. Rather than the inverter, you could get the 12v fan and use with one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Roadpro-Batter...12v+receptacle
It would eliminate the loss of using an inverter.
Here is one of the 35AH batteries:
Amazon.com: ML35-12 - 12V 35AH U1 Deep Cycle AGM Solar Battery Replaces 33Ah, 34Ah, 36Ah - Mighty Max Battery brand product: Automotive

And the fan mentioned above:
http://www.amazon.com/Fan-Tastic-011...ywords=12v+fan
It is cheaper at the link in the previous post though.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:48 PM   #8

You might consider something like this: http://xantrexxpowerpowerpack600hd0.blogspot.com/

I have had a smaller 450w unit for about 10 years. It's portable, can be charged at a campground or from your accessories plug while you are driving. I use mine to power my CPAP (2 nights) when dry camping. Mine has AC and DC, jump start cables, radio and a good light. We just store it in a safe place on the road. The cost on this one is about $100 less than I paid.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:04 AM   #9

I used a large jump start battery for my CPAP the first time we boondocked. I lasted until about 3 or 4am the second night. After that we left it at the ranger station for charging, but found that it takes 2 full days with its built in charger. With a stand alone 35AH deep cycle, you can charge quickly with a battery charger, about 3 hours. Solar on the roof is my next project. But, a jump start battery is a good thing to have.
This is the one I use:
Amazon.com: Clore JNC660 'Jump-N-Carry' 1,700 Peak Amp 12-Volt Jump Starter: Automotive
I got a smaller one a couple of years before and it was worthless as it didn't have the power to start the truck.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:20 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiybrneyes View Post
......I know not to use generator....
Do you have a generator? If you have a generator than I would put the biggest Deep cycle that would fit under the stairs and use it for the fan. The generator would just be for peace of mind.....(batteries get too low just turn on the gen to start vehicle.)
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:06 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can I use it to run a portable fan: YES
How to recharge: Two ways
1: Connect to house system while charging.. NOTE. IN some cases this MIGHT cause problems

2: Portable SMART charger..Make sure it is a SMART charger.

For those considering BUYING a portable battery.... I used to use a luggable "Jump Start" package to run a 12 volt fan at work.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:29 AM   #12

#!--Get a set of jumper cables if you don't have them now.
#2--Get a battery charger if you don't have one
#3--do you have a "boost" switch?
#4--How much air flow are you looking for/need? A 12V fan draws very little current per hour. Only hook it up to your house battery.
#5--If you can survive with a modest airflow try to locate a couple of computer power supply fans and have someone wire them up for you. They are usually 12V and only draw about .26 amps and normally only 3" square and very, very quiet. I have wired up three of these fans just for boondocking and they work very well for moving air quietly and gently.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:54 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiybrneyes View Post
I have never boondocked but will be on the road a lot this summer and would like to try Walmart and others for a quick overnight stay. I know not to use generator. Thanks!

Use the generator to power your Air Conditioner......be comfortable. Since you have a medical condition why make yourself uncomfortable?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:44 AM   #14

If you have a smaller class C you likely have some storage / dead space beneath the rear corner bed.

Place an AGM (no venting required) battery under the bed and wire it into the coach 12 volt system with a diode to isolate it, then using heavier wire put a 12 volt outlet near the bed to plug the fan into.

The battery will charge as you drive but the fan (or anything else you plug in there) will not be able to run down the coach battery.

Tags
battery, fan