Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2019, 08:48 PM   #1

Freezer for my trailer.

I am boondocking and workkamping in remote locations. Looked at a 7.0 cu freezer but in booklet it said not for RV or inverter..
My source of electric is solar and batteries.
stymie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2019, 07:20 AM   #2

I would imagine that the freezer will consume a fair amount of power. You have not given much information to go off of or specifically asked a question.

Have you looked at something like an Engel or something along those lines instead of a residential style?

https://www.engelcoolers.com/shop/12...-freezers.html
Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:01 PM   #3

freezer

the freezer I am looking at consumes 3.4 amps @ 12.8 v..
I am wanting to store frozen veggies and chicken fish meat also.

have an extra 1500 watt inverter.
stymie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:28 AM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I tried it and it was a costly mistake. Even with extra insulation when it wasn’t powered it just took too much generator power to run it. It would probably require a pure sine wave inverter. And you'll void your warranty.

Have you considered a 12 volt DC freezer?

I only thought I needed a freezer. When I started planning meals and shopping more carefully, I realized that most of the stuff in the freezer I really didn’t need. Old habits are hard to break sometimes. Also, I now carefully repackage what I keep in the freezer so it uses less space. You'd be surprised how much food you can get in a tiny space. You just can’t store ice cream half gallons and vodka.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 03:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post

I only thought I needed a freezer. When I started planning meals and shopping more carefully, I realized that most of the stuff in the freezer I really didn’t need. Old habits are hard to break sometimes. Also, I now carefully repackage what I keep in the freezer so it uses less space. You'd be surprised how much food you can get in a tiny space. You just can’t store ice cream half gallons and vodka.
BINGO!! We had the normal small freezer on top of the refrigerator. I could get 14 meals of meats and frozen veggies in it plus some misc. stuff. We never bought ice cream, pizza, frozen dinners, etc. which takes up a lot of space. When shopping I put 3 meals right in the refrigerator. The rest we repackaged into small meal-size packages. It takes time and when you come home from shopping you don't really feel like doing it but it does help. I then put the small packages of like meats in a larger ziplock so all the same was in one bag. This saved rooting around for something and also let me know what I needed to buy the next trip. It worked for us. Hope you find a solution.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:43 PM   #6

Location: Full-Timer, currently in Benson, AZ (for the winter)
Dometic makes CTX models that are 12volt. Sample from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-Elect...gateway&sr=8-4
Jaj1260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:21 AM   #7

12 volt freezer

We wanted a small freezer for our 6 month road trip to Alaskan in our small truck camper. We settled on an Engel , a small 3 square foot ( storage ) unit that was incredibly efficient and easily worked on our single solar panel. We had a single deep cycle battery which was more than enough to supply energy. The unit will operate as either a frig or freezer, just dial in desired temp. It easily keep food deep frozen enabling us to bring back home delicious frozen Alaskan fish . Although not as big as you perhaps want, it was sufficient to store many frozen meals. It also can be used on a 110 circuit. Highly recommended.
vermontbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:10 AM   #8

I second the Engel. Mine has been going strong for 8 years. Freezes stuff hard if you wish. We used it with a large cooler. We would freeze the meat and other items we wouldn't be eating for several days and would also freeze enough water bottles each day to allow us to keep a large cooler going with thawing water bottles. No food floating in water in the cooler and we would drink the water bottles after they thawed out. We now have a trailer fridge but still bring the Engel if we are going off the grid away from resupply changes for 8-10 days at a time.

Tags
trailer