Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
Freezer idea will it work for me

I pull a 14 enclosed trailer with my 36 diesel pusher, in the front of the trailer inside I carry a 100 gal. water tank and next to that a 7 cubic ft freezer for my game meat on hunting trips, the water tank has a 12 volt on demand rv pump and recoiling hose to reach the motorhome water fill.
I want to fill the bottom of the freezer with 1 gallon frozen water jugs that will serve 2 purposes, one to provide more water and #2 to allow me to take plenty of fresh spinach and broccoli and other veggies for my 3-4 week hunting trips in the boondocks, 40 miles to a store and 20 miles to water. I would freeze the water solid at home before leaving andd the veggies and other cold items, then after arriving at camp 12 hour drive. I could run the freezer off my generator either my portable or my RV generator, I would have to remove the veggies to refreeze the water jugs at night when it is cool, then turn off the freezer and add the veggies back into it so they will not freeze. I also thought I could run the freezer off of my solar system and 2,500 watt inverter every few nights to refreeze, but either way will it work and act like a large ice chest.
The motorhome has a 98 gal water tank and 65 gallon blk/grey tanks and a 65 gallon propane tank. I also carry a john deere gator 6x4, and a rokon trail breaker in the trailer for hunting. I use the freezer to cool and transport my game meat home and to allow me to stay longer if someone else in our party is successful.

Muledeer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think you are on the right track. I have elk and mule deer hunted in Colorado for several years and actually built a non running freezer out of 2X2 lumber and styrofoam just to haul meat home. After harvesting an elk or 2 and possibly a couple of mule deer, we always quartered out for hauling to the trailhead where the freezer stayed on a trailer. We packed back about 6 or 8 miles into the high country.

It was always cold enough that we hung meat while in camp and after placing into the 'freezer', we stopped at the nearest town and purchased about 3 or 4 blocks of dry ice. When we get back to Tennessee, the meat is still frozen and you could hardly miss the amount of dry ice that had melted.

So yes, what you are planning to doable. Just will take some fine tuning by you and watching to regulate the freezer running time.

2012 Tiffin Phaeton 36QSH Diesel Pusher, TireTraker TPMS
'08 Honda CRV Protect-a-Tow
burfurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
thanks for the feedback you can also make a freezer out of styrofoam and duct tape, just make a small long box and slide in a office sz refrigerator without the door and plug the other end, they will run off of a 1000 watt honda generator and stay cold all day, then plug in at a motel on the way home or start the generator.
Happy Hunting Muledeer2
Old 08-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #4
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You might want to check a company called Engel, they make some "high effiency" fridges and freezers which are ideal for RV use.. I have a small one next to me as i type.

The unit I have is just a couple cubic feet, runs on 12 volt or 120 volt (normallyl 12) and draws a great whomping 3 amps at 12 volt. yes, just 36 watts.. By compairson a 1156 lamp is over 25 watts.

In short. not much power.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
I think they are too small it would have fit three Deer in it for traveling home from hunting trips, the idea is to take veggies and fruits kept cool, eat them all up and add venison for the trip home.........sometimes both homes are in the same yard
Old 09-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
I forget the name, but some company sells a thermostat for chest freezers that turn them into refrigerators via a rheostat.
Found it!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
Thank You I have order one for the freezer and it now running on a 1,000 watt inverter, I want to see how far the batterys get drawn down over several hours, it is still in freezer mode until i get the thermostat so it will run continiously. I have 2 portable 100 watt panels and 1 100 watt panel on my coach roof, I think I should be in good shape thanks to you and your good memory.