Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:01 PM   #1

From Midwest to West in early October

We are planning to go out West from Indiana during the second week of October. Should we worry about the weather if we travel north to central Wisconsin and then head west staying in the southern section of all of the border states?

How's the weather in the Black Hills and Yellowstone in mid to late October? We can head south at a moment's notice since we want to end up in Apache Junction, AZ in early November.

Responses from those that have experienced that area in October would be appreciated.

Thanx to those serving our country in the military.

Papawto5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
Ford Super Duty Owner
October can be perfect weather in the northern states, but after the middle of October can change dramatically over night. For the last several years we have had very nice Indian Summer weather in October with the first frost getting later every year. You also have to consider altitude. I wouldn't worry about snow, if it does snow it should be gone in a day or two. You should be safely in Apache Junction by the time bad weather sets in.

2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53/ V10 505 watts of Solar
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C Handicap Equipped
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
You should be fine. Just be ready like you said to head south or deal woth freezing temps. We have done it pre-rv (tenting) got cold a few times but with the trailer it was fine. enjoy that is a great time to go.

Forgot to mention we were in both the Black Hills and Yellowstone. Latest in Yellowstone Oct.18th
1990 Komfort Lite 20', too small
2013 Nash DLX 23B, just right
oregonlogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
You are right to be concerned about the elevation in Yellowstone. It can and does freeze at night even in August. But, unless snow flies early, it is a fabulous time to visit. I would check with the park and see campground closing dates. Many were closed by mid October and as i recall the year we were there the campground we were in closed like 2 days after we left. It was Madison i believe.
1990 Komfort Lite 20', too small
2013 Nash DLX 23B, just right
oregonlogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I did that route to vzancouver from chicago last year end of october. saw a little snow in the pass in western montana, the rest was fine.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
Newmar Owners Club
I've seen the chain law in effect on Targhee Pass (7000+') as early as late September.
Many Yellowstone Campgrounds close in September, that does not restrict camping.
As long as the roads are clear and and no barricades in place we've traveled as desired.
With few visitors and fewer mosquitos it's a great time to enjoy.
Average October temps range from daytime highs in the 50s, lows in the 20s
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #7
First post...

I've been stuck for 22.5 hrs + while going across WY in Sept. 2000

Freak storm, but crippled the entire state!!!

I was stuck with 5 guys in a '94 crew cab Ford after just grabbing the bag of cloths that I had still not unpacked/washed from my last 2 week job in Hawaii.

It was miserable and cold to say the least, but I thanked God on several occasions that I wasn't driving!!

This was around 10+ years before ever purchasing an RV, but I can see where it would be a problem for one who had tried to venture at this time of year!!!

Check the road conditions often and use caution while traveling through this state in early winter and don't put it off until it gets too nasty out to travel
"Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber." -- Plato
Mikey-KE7LBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #8
The higher the elevation the lower the temperature. Black Hills in Oct might be cold and snowy or nice it is a toss up.
Ralph & Snickers
2006 3500 Chevy Dually - 8.1 - Allison
2006 30' New Horizon - Solar
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:33 PM   #9

As you can see, you should be fine that time of year. It seems the biggest change typically happens around Halloween. It can be beautiful and it can be nasty at that time. The only saving grace is that if weather moves in, it doesn't last long and it'll melt quickly the next day.

Have a great trip. Sounds fun.

Stumblefoot is offline   Reply With Quote