Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafxman View Post
If you ever plan on coming to Florida, check out the Florida Fish and Wildlife pages. I just spent a week boondocking here:

Dinner Island Ranch - Recreation

It was completely free. I was familiar with the place because I had been there many times in my car driving from Naples while staying in a motel. That was about an about an hours drive each way. The only problem I had was sleeping. I couldn't get out of bed! The only sounds at night were the crickets and tree frogs. I slept like a dead man. It was great.

Flickr: grafxmangrafxman's Photostream
Thanks for that one! It's about 80 miles from me and looks like a nice weekend getaway.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Boondocking in Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Thanks guys!

"I spend summers in Seattle and winter in Texas"
We have family in Seattle that we are planning on visiting this summer. Have you ever boondocked along the Oregon Coast? We drove (family van) along the coast last year and saw a few motor-homes along the highway camping. It looked like it would be pretty awesome place to camp at sundown.

If you have camped on the coast did you have any trouble with local enforcement or anyone with stopping for a day or two on what appeared to be public beach front? Do you have any suggestions for a good spot to camp?

CPO_Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #17

All true, but if you are headed from washington to texas stop in quartzsite az. When you reach the town go to the second offramp turn right, go to the stop sign and turn left. follow the road for about a mile then you have arrived at free camping on the right for several miles. Take any of the dirt roads to the right and you will be amazed. Just park next to any firering and enjoy.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #18
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPO_Retired View Post
We have family in Seattle that we are planning on visiting this summer. Have you ever boondocked along the Oregon Coast? We drove (family van) along the coast last year and saw a few motor-homes along the highway camping. It looked like it would be pretty awesome place to camp at sundown.

If you have camped on the coast did you have any trouble with local enforcement or anyone with stopping for a day or two on what appeared to be public beach front? Do you have any suggestions for a good spot to camp?
I traveled down the Oregon Coast Hiway last Fall. They don't take kindly to boondockers and there are signs everywhere prohibiting overnight parking. I did pull into a Walmart parking lot after dark, in the rain and found several RVs and Semis parked. In the daylight I saw "no overnight parking" signs on every light pole, but nobody chased me away.

I have often slept in what looks like clothes so that I could claim I was just resting for a few hours before moving on. What LEO could argue with not driving drowsy? That works better when it doesn't get cold enough that I want to put up the privacy curtain for warmth. There is a fine line between parking and overnighting. Perception makes the difference.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Which way are you coming back up to Seattle? We have driven from NM to Seattle a few times last year. Freecampsites.net gave us tons of places to stay and we had a great time!
Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
We're heading to southern utah in a few weeks, and hoping to find some good boondocking sites.

It looks like for the most part, the BLM and USFS are not exactly good at posting a map telling everyone where these free or near free in paradise spots are.

Even the "good" BLM maps... well they show the campsites real nice, give no clue where they are, could miss by 500 miles without even trying.

And in the meantime, I'll be wandering around the desert in forty thousand pounds of bus and toad, looking for a place to park...

Whoever suggested putting snow tire on the bus... he he you're funny....
Old 05-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
This is a great place: Valley Of The Gods, Bluff & Mexican Hat, Utah | Free Campsites

Here is another: http://freecampsites.net/hwy12hole-in-the-rock-road/
Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #22
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
We're heading to southern utah in a few weeks, and hoping to find some good boondocking sites.
Jim,

There is a lot of magnificent boondocking in southern Utah. I found the folks at the Red Canyon forest service visitor center to be very helpful.It is just a few miles from where Hwy 12 starts. Along Hwy 12 you will see some of the most amazing places on earth.

Utah's Scenic Byway 12 - Your Guide to Attractions and Activities on Utah's Scenic Byways

Also, the people at the Ruby's Inn campground office gave me a set of ATV maps that had lots of detail about the surronding national forest, where there is free boondocking. Just make sure you stock up on fuel and groceries before you get there. They have "captive audience" pricing. Unleaded was 40 cents higher than in communities 20 miles away. They do have a dump station and water, sell propane, etc.

If you are planning to see Bryce Canyon here are 2 spots I found.

1. Hwy 12 about midway along mile marker 8, Tom Best Rd. There is a pullthru with a rock fire ring about 1/4 mile from Hwy. Park your rig there and explore with your toad.

2. On the road into Bryce Canyon there is Dixie National Forest land just outside the park. Right before the big rock Bryce Canyon sign there is a forest road that goes off to the right. A sign says "No Camping Here", but that means right there. Follow that road back about 1/2 mile to lots of great
places. The locals call it Dave's Hollow. Just check to see if the construction project on the septic ponds is finished or there will be dump trucks stirring up dust all day. There is also a gated road off to the left from the sign that I didn't explore. Often National Forest areas have gates to keep livestock in or out, but it's still public land. Just close the gate behind you.

I plan to go back thru southern Utah next Fall. "Hole in the Rock" Rd intrigues me and I've been told there is a lot of boondocking along it. You will need to get a free permit to from the visitor center in Escalante, UT
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
Thanks for that one! It's about 80 miles from me and looks like a nice weekend getaway.
Take a camera with a long lens and drive the loop road. Every time you drive it you will see a different critter. Also go a few miles N to the Devil's garden intersection and turn W on county road 832. Drive slow and watch for wildlife. These links may help:

Dinner Island Ranch Wildlife Management Area - a set on Flickr
Flickr: Dinner Island WMA Photographers
Dinner Island Ranch - Visitor Information
Old 10-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Prospector View Post
I have gotten a lot of boondocking spots by reading other boondockers blogs. Most don't come right out and give you the GPS coordinates, but you get the general area. Go to the area, find a place to park, next day go out and explore, take pictures, keep a file. Not to hard to do.
Most bloggers are not going to give up their exact cherished spots to a stranger in a blog. You will need to put in the time.

Check Blogs, go visit the BLM or Forest Service Office in the area you wish to visit, go when they first open, you may catch a Ranger there that can help, or talk to the front office person. You do know that a box of donuts goes along ways when visiting BLM or Forest Service offices don't you?

Good Luck,
Kevin
A possible way to build on this method is to find the general area, then using a system like Google maps.. pull up the "virtual earth" feature which uses high resolution aerial photos. I do it ALL THE TIME to find parking for my 18wheeler near shippers and receivers . (not to mention looking at specific intersections I'll be using to see the geometry. It's a great tool)
Old 10-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
No mater where your from or where your heading and your looking for a placd to go to that you never been to before I have the place, but the time would have to be between the middle of January and March of any year. It's in a little town called Quartsite Arizona its about 10 miles east of California off of HWY. 10, every year the population swells to several 1000 people and you can see R.V. as far as the eye can see, it's one large flee market with all kinds of venders they come from all over the Country, even some come from other Country's and they park their R.V. just about anywhere on the BLM land. If you have never been their it's a must at least one time in your travels. I have frinds that go their every year. You may be able to Google it. Lots of luck I know you and your other will injoy it because theirs no other place that I know of thats like it, even GoodSan has a large tent their at that time of the year.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:26 PM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quartzsite used to claim 25,000 RV's in the area.
Last time we were there it sure seemed like that many but that was eight years ago too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Gated access roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryjj View Post
I have traveled into Alaska and the Yukon. I found most of the side road access and range roads and mountain road access areas gated. I was quite shocked. British Columbia is more friendly to boondockers.

Larry
Hi Larry - I grew up in the Yukon and I can tell you with complete confidence that the reason the areas are gated are NOT to be unfriendly, but to make sure that people who are unfamiliar with the areas do not get themselves into trouble that they cannot get out of. Cell phone coverage is almost non-existant all along the hightways and if, God forbide, you get hurt or need help, there are no emergency vehicles within HUNDREDS of miles. They want you to stay on the highway where if something happens, other passing motorists can at least assist you.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #28

Hi tladouceur58

I won't be travelling to Alaska again due to the lack of places to boondock. My camper is solar powered. I had the solar panel put on the camper so I could camp basically any where. My plan this year, 2013, is to go to Alberta. I am looking at travelling the western portion from the crows nest pass to the north of Alberta.
I am 68 years old and travell by my self. I am hoping to find some nice areas to camp for a few days/nights at a time.

Regards,

larryjj