Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:26 AM   #29
In my limited experience the key to good boon docking is two-fold, first research!! Next is networking!! Nobody knows the 'good spots' like a local.

Reach out to your contacts in the area you want to go to. In my case I contact the folks I know in the flying community. Often there's somebody with a private airfield nearby who is only to happy to let a travelling pilot park next to, or even inside, their hangar. I spent a few days on the side of a river at the far end of a small airport that way. It s drop-dead gorgeous scenery.

There's always hidden gems, the trick is finding them.

Ted 'n' Laurie, plus Jackson (aka Deputy Dog, the Parson Russell Terrier 'fur kid') and, Rylie (who crossed the Rainbow Bridge June 14, 2012).
Murf2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2013, 08:27 AM   #30
Another thought that might help is................
Asking at the local tourist center or information center......visitor's center.

This helped me when at the Crowsnest pass (British Columbia/ Alberta/ US boarder )vicinity.
This is in south western Alberta.

Blessings and happy camping to all

larryjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #31
Without doubt, the best boondocking guide is the Days End Directory which is available to members of Escapees RV Club.

It is the only guide we use, and we boondock nearly 100% of the time.

The way we work with the directory is to search it for keywords like "view" "pretty" "beautiful" and then we highlight those locations and look them up on the map.

We usually use one of those sites as a starting point. After parking for a day or two we get on our bikes or take the truck and scope the area out to see if there's something better. Usually there is!!

There are tons and tons of spectacular places to stay with views that are to die for. But the best way to find them is to hunt them down in person rather than online or through a guide.

The guide is best used as just that -- a guide -- but rely on your own explorer's initiative to find the best places... It's so cool to find a really awesome spot on your own -- for us it's half the fun of boondocking.

I've written a few pages on our website about boondocking and setting up your rig for solar and conserving electricity and water... maybe you'll find those pages helpful... they're under the Lifestyle menu button
Emily & Mark Fagan, traveling full-time since 2007
2007 Hitchhiker II LS & 2007 Dodge RAM 3500 4x4
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #32
I visited the Escapees campground in Livingston, Tx. a few years ago with a few. Of my friends, One gentleman was in his early 80's at the time. We all travele to Livingston to inquire about there assisted living program. The. Gentleman in his 80's had been a full time RVer for over 20years, a member of Escabees for over 10 years and could not get any concrete information on assisted living in Livingston. All anyone would say is the board decides who is elligable. No one would tell us who these folks are. We. All left Livingston thinking that we had visited with some cult place. I understand that it is the American way to make a buck and I can assure you these folks know how.
texkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #33
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On your way to Texas, check out "Gunsight Wash" BLM campground in SW Ariz. Located 'bout 55 miles south of Gila Bend on hiway 85, which is the route to Organ PIpe Nat'l Park. We are co-hosts there. over 500 acres of great scenery, wildlife, lots of birds, and peace and quiet. A two week area. Come and see us, you weill want to come back.

Alleyman; 2004 Dolphin 5355; Banks Power Pack, Ottominder; 405 Watts Solar, 2010 Explorer XLT Toad. four month boondockers!
Alleyman is offline   Reply With Quote