Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2012, 11:49 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Frustrated Boondocker

Hi Y'all,

Maybe it's just me, but I seem to spend hours online looking for a decent place to boondock for a few days. I'm not meaning just overnight parking, but for a few days and up to two weeks in a nice quiet forest or desert. No campgrounds, just free spots.

Do people keep these sites a secret so they won't have to share and risk losing that coveted peace, or what?

I have found some online data bases but most of the listings are over 5 years old. Would it be a good idea to ask this list's moderator to sticky a thread where we could post specific boondock places? I'd suggest that the state and nearest city or attaction be in the title so we could then use the search tool to find it.

Also, I was thinking that we also have threads of water saving suggestions and power saving tips. This forum has tremendous potential with 60,000+ members. We just need to get the info in a useable format. Like out of your head and onto a list
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2012, 12:06 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I am a 4x4er, so I go boondocking. BLM is the gov't entity you want out west. USFS is the other one. Lots of info online. I buy off-roading books that have maps, so I will know how far in I can take my RV.

Get/look at them at Barnes/Nobles. I order some from Amazon, once I know which ones I want, which Saves a lot of $$$

Just be aware that forest area roads usually don't like RVs over 26'.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #3

I have gotten a lot of boondocking spots by reading other boondockers blogs. Most don't come right out and give you the GPS coordinates, but you get the general area. Go to the area, find a place to park, next day go out and explore, take pictures, keep a file. Not to hard to do.
Most bloggers are not going to give up their exact cherished spots to a stranger in a blog. You will need to put in the time.

Check Blogs, go visit the BLM or Forest Service Office in the area you wish to visit, go when they first open, you may catch a Ranger there that can help, or talk to the front office person. You do know that a box of donuts goes along ways when visiting BLM or Forest Service offices don't you?

Good Luck,
Kevin
Happy Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks guys!

My moho is only 25' so no problem there. I spend summers in Seattle and winter in Texas at family homes, but it's the travel inbetween where I'd like to find a nice quiet place for a few nights. This is the first trip with a toad and I'm finding it hard to get someplace for the night without having to unhook.

But hey, I do understand not wanting to tell 60,000+ people about your favorite spot. Back to the forest service office I go.

PS I'm in a Sams parking lot for the night and there is a car alarm going off and the puppy is barking at a dog barking blocks away. I need some quiet time!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #5

So many, so little time

It is a bit intimidating going to an area and not having a place to land. Boondocking is often just drive around an area until you find an open spot that suits your setup. I post mine on my blog and get ideas for new ones from other blogs. If you get benefit from mine or someone elses, start your own and post your locations. That way we all benefit. Generally we have very good luck boondocking because most people want to have reservations at the end of a day of driving. Also a good set of all season vs. highway tires will help out on the dirt roads (better traction). And be sure to research if you can get in and out by asking locally for the conditions. Having someone to hop out with a 2-way radio who can navigate you through rough road conditions (telling you where to put the tires so one doesn't end up in a rut) helps. And be sure you don't care too much about a fancy paint job. No one trims the branches in a national forest to make sure RVs can get down the roads.

Oh, forgot to mention that most boondocking locations don't move so a 5 yr old listing is probably still good.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #6

If you ever plan on coming to Florida, check out the Florida Fish and Wildlife pages. I just spent a week boondocking here:

Dinner Island Ranch - Recreation

It was completely free. I was familiar with the place because I had been there many times in my car driving from Naples while staying in a motel. That was about an about an hours drive each way. The only problem I had was sleeping. I couldn't get out of bed! The only sounds at night were the crickets and tree frogs. I slept like a dead man. It was great.

Flickr: grafxmangrafxman's Photostream
grafxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #7

The only way to find what you are looking for has already been stated. Park your rig and go exploring to find your perfect spot. You are right in that I will not tell you my great spots.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #8

I have traveled into Alaska and the Yukon. I found most of the side road access and range roads and mountain road access areas gated. I was quite shocked. British Columbia is more friendly to boondockers.

Larry
larryjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #9

Boondocking

Look at this site. USA | Free Campsites It has a lot of free and low cost camping areas listed in all states and Canada. We found several nice spots last winter. Get some BLM (Bureau of Land Management) and NFS (National Forest Service) maps. Most BLM and NFS land is available for free camping, and NFS has a lot of developed campgrounds in remote locations for a small fee.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
AZ. blm land this time of year above 5000' 14 days free then move .1/4 mile have fun.
teera travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #11

This family has a cool blog and he boondocks everywhere in a huge bus. He also gives GPS to the spots..
http://wheelingit.wordpress.com/
Happy boondocking!

WWW.WhatTheHowell.com
bubbletruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #12

Here's another
http://ourodyssey.blogspot.com/

WWW.WhatTheHowell.com
bubbletruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #13

I use Delorme TOPO, and Google maps.

TOPO Lets me know where BLM and National Forest boundaries are, along with roads, and Google maps double check roads in said areas.

I've never relied on others to find spots for me!

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #14

So can we just imagine what would happen should somewone post their top boondocking locations to this forum with SIXTY THOUSAND looking on! Never to camp there again...

Seriously, 90% of the fun of boondocking is researching, exploring and discovering those extra special sites - yourself. Study the various forums, look with Google Earth, etc. But, the best, the very best, way to find your "spots" is to go to an area and scout around. Use a Forest Svc, BLM or State campground as your base for a night or two. You'll be amzed at what you'll find AND the fun you'll have discovering.

Good luck!
DumOleBob is offline   Reply With Quote