Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2011, 04:32 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Fumes from generator cited as cause of five deaths in RV.

From US News:

CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. — Three men and two women at a biker festival to raise money for needy children died in a recreational vehicle when fumes from a generator leaked into the camper, an organizer for the event said.

Police were investigating the deaths but said no foul play was suspected. Two of the men worked security into the early morning hours Sunday during the festival's party, which featured motorcycle drag races, live music and bikini and tattoo contests. The charity's website said there was free beer.

Bill Langford, the director of the event Bikers Who Care, was puzzled over the deaths at the Clarksville Speedway.

"Most of them didn't get to bed until four o'clock in the morning, and most of those people didn't go in that trailer at the same time to go to bed," he said. "I just find that kind that of strange. Why didn't they notice?"

It appears a small storage hatch on the RV did not close properly, allowing fumes from the generator to leak inside the vehicle, Langford said.

The gases were so bad in the camper that the bikers who found the bodies were taken to a hospital after feeling dizzy and light-headed, Langford said. They all had high amounts of carbon monoxide in their systems, he said.

Langford said the bikers' group was like a family and he was close friends with the people who had died. He identified them as a married couple, another couple and one of the men's co-workers.

More:
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2011, 03:12 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks for posting that, Del and Charlotte

It's a good reminder of a hazard we need to keep in mind!
And not just in our RV's- home used generators are a significant problem in that respect,
especially after natural disasters, when many folks use them for the first time.
Hospitals seeing an increase in carbon monoxide poisoning from improperly ventilated generators; Huntsville Utilities asks residents to use care | al.com

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #3

Very good reason to have CO2 detector installed and tested for proper operation.
BuckHardy151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:24 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckHardy151 View Post
Very good reason to have CO2 detector installed and tested for proper operation.
Carbon monoxide is CO Buck. I use CO2, carbon dioxide, to push beer and get them mixed up (not in a beer) too. But your point is well taken. Get and maintain a carbon monoxide detector even if you don't run your generator someone next to you might and your engine exhaust as well as others produce it. Next check the batteries regularly.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark
Carbon monoxide is CO Buck. I use CO2, carbon dioxide, to push beer and get them mixed up (not in a beer) too. But your point is well taken. Get and maintain a carbon monoxide detector even if you don't run your generator someone next to you might and your engine exhaust as well as others produce it. Next check the batteries regularly.
Should have CO2 detector to ensure beer does'nt go flat. DOHT!
BuckHardy151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:06 PM   #6

Both a grandfather camping with granddaughter bought the farm in No. Cal this week. Grandad thought it was a good idea to light BBQ briquettes to keep them warm inside their horse trailer.
tworootless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:14 PM   #7

While we owned a Lance camper, our detector went off often and I usually simply opened a window...but come to find out...my refrig was NOT venting correctly and the Lance is/was a very tight unit. Still sad to hear of anyone dying cuz of it.
IOWASTROKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Just to be clear, the folks that died were NOT killed by propane exhaust, which I think is what you're talking about in your Lance.

It was gasoline combustion fumes that came in to their camper from a generator outside.

Gasoline, charcoal, and wood combustion account for nearly all carbon monoxide poisonings...

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
The RV next to me has an extension on the gen exhaust, a 90 degree elbow and 8 feet of pipe extending to above the RV. I suppose it will solve the issue of fumes under the RV, but the vents are still up top and if open and the wind is coming from a certain direction, could blow fumes down the roof vent.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:21 AM   #10

And people keep telling me I'm crazy for having a woodstove in an rv and how dangerous it is....well I'm still alive........at least I can control my woodstove...kind of hard to forsee something malfunctioning with your propane furnace...
ROLLNSMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator