Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2017, 06:25 PM   #1

Gas/propane generators

Here is my question: we have a family of five that lives full time in our 38' bumper pull camper. In the spring/summer we like to go live out at the lake. It's all around fun. However, part of the point is to try to save the money we would typically be paying the campground, for rent and electricity (there's no hook-ups). The issue is, we have a gas run generator that runs about 7-8 hours on a full tank. (We try to only run it at night for the air when it's super hot, unless it's an extremely hot day, and to charge our electronics) It gets just as expensive to run the generator as it is to pay for electricity at the campground. We were told a propane/gas combo generator would be much less expensive to run for our needs. (We have a very large generator in order to run just about everything we normally do when hooked up). I am interested in buying one, but I need one large enough to run my household when turned on (microwave, t.v., charging tablets and phones, and two a/c's). Does anyone have experience and/or recommendations? Much appreciated!!
QueenBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2017, 06:58 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenBee View Post
Here is my question: we have a family of five that lives full time in our 38' bumper pull camper. In the spring/summer we like to go live out at the lake. It's all around fun. However, part of the point is to try to save the money we would typically be paying the campground, for rent and electricity (there's no hook-ups). The issue is, we have a gas run generator that runs about 7-8 hours on a full tank. (We try to only run it at night for the air when it's super hot, unless it's an extremely hot day, and to charge our electronics) It gets just as expensive to run the generator as it is to pay for electricity at the campground. We were told a propane/gas combo generator would be much less expensive to run for our needs. (We have a very large generator in order to run just about everything we normally do when hooked up). I am interested in buying one, but I need one large enough to run my household when turned on (microwave, t.v., charging tablets and phones, and two a/c's). Does anyone have experience and/or recommendations? Much appreciated!!
Without specific information I wouldn't waste the money. Propane generators us a LOT of propane.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:30 PM   #3

Tell us about your current gen. How many watts running and surge. Does it "labor" when everything is running?

- Jeff
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:40 PM   #4

These are open frame non-inverter (loud) construction grade dual fuel units.
Generators - Champion Power Equipment

These are inverter types
Inverters - Champion Power Equipment

Purchase from https://www.supergenproducts.com/ free shipping excellent support but you won't need it. Champs are super reliable.

- Jeff
Old 05-18-2017, 11:48 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Has anyone personally seen or tried the new Champion open frame digital hybrid genny? Supposed to be 50% quieter. IIRC 64db or something. The 3100watt inverter gen is like 58db.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:59 AM   #6

You can buy an awful lot of gas for your current generator for the cost of a new one. IMO
Old 05-19-2017, 04:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm2good View Post
You can buy an awful lot of gas for your current generator for the cost of a new one. IMO
Yes and continue to tote multiple heavy gas cans around and regularly lift them and try not to spill all over a hot generator. Or you could connect to the RV auto switch over propane system and switch out the empty bottle. Also you can pollute less as the propane motor is auto altitude compensating.

- Jeff
Old 05-19-2017, 09:07 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
It will probably cost more to run a propane generator. An inverter generator sized to run your ACs is probably going to be the most fuel efficient. Use this to supplement current generator.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:08 PM   #9

Running a gen on propane is significantly more expensive...
I have a Champion (2600/2900) 2800/3100 watt Propane/Gasoline Inverter model.

On 1.5 gallons of gas it does 7-8 hours on ECO without the the AC running, but running multiple computers, coffee maker, etc. 1.75 gallons of gas is ~2.25 here - so we'll call it $4 in fuel.
8 hours/$4 in fuel - $.50 an hour

That same generator will do nearly 20(!) hours on a 20LB propane bottle -
which my trailer carries 3. Now I typically swap those at Grocery stores for $20/bottle...+TAX!
20 hours/20 in fuel - $1.00 an hour.
Sometimes you can get them cheaper! i just swapped for $15/bottle here in VA.
20hrs/15 in fuel - $0.75/hr

It also generates less power, rated at 2600watts on propane, vs 2800watts on Gasoline.

So I have the capability. I like it - occasionally I get lazy and run out of gasoline and just stick a 20lb on it - or If I need to run it overnight for the AC, I'll put it on propane, fully understanding it will be empty in the morning (but will run a good 10+hrs on it uninterrupted). This rarely happens - usually at a truck stop over night. Propane is harder to source - Gas stations are everywhere. Gas stations with Propane bottles...somewhat less common. And gas stations usually charge more like $22 for a bottle.

I ended up buying a 5 gallon Jerry can for $11.82 at walmart and here we are.

If i were you - I'd spend the money on a solar/inverter setup, so you have the run the Generator you have less - that's currently where I am headed.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:41 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Basically, it will end up costing roughly the same, or more, to generate the same amount of electricity with almost any fuel. Propane does not have as much energy pound for pound as gasoline. When anyone starts thinking about alternative fuels to gasoline, I point them to this chart:
https://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/fu...ison_chart.pdf

If it were me, I'd stick with what I already had and enjoy the heck out of it. If you change out the generator, you have to think about that cost before you even buy any fuel, and right there you're already behind.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:41 PM   #11

Just a point about supermarket propane exchanges.

In the exchange you get 15 LBs of propane, 3.6 gallons.

A propane tank filled at a re-filler will hold 20 LBs of propane, 4.7 gallons.

The grocery store is selling you 3/4 of a tank. They call it a marketing decision.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:23 PM   #12

The large loads like air conditioning will always require a generator to be involved, although there are some hybrid units that use a combination of generator + battery pack + inverter to allow running fewer hours per day.

For many of your loads, it seems like they are within the range of a healthy amount of solar panels and a large battery pack.

There are two ways to approach this:
- Go through a detailed analysis of your loads, and then realize that you will need to cover pretty much the entire coach with solar panels to do it
- Just plan on covering most of the coach with panels and move on with it

Depending on where you are, there are usually RV electronics / solar installers around to help, or you can take the time to learn the details and DIY. The kids might enjoy the project.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:34 PM   #13

There are a few parts of the country where propane actually is very inexpensive - for instance in areas with fracking wells they can hardly give it away. Retail propane is somewhat of a monopoly, so it is quite over priced for its energy content.

If you can, please post a photo of your battery bank with a ruler and perhaps we can make some additional suggestions.

Modern battery banks and inverters combined with solar and part time generator operation might be able to cut your run time by 75%.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:37 PM   #14

Everyone has great points. I have a honda converted by genconnex and was buying my first generator. I love it. I dont buy from the exchange places because its not as economical. Genconnex has some literature on watts and how many hours you can expect out of say 30 lb propane cylinder etc. I like that it does not stink like gas in my excursion when I travel with it in there. Also with infrequent use the fuel doesnt go bad etc.
ajohansson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, generator, propane