Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:06 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
ramblerguy

Good info to know.

I'm hoping that this setup can be used to run small power tools such as circular saws, drills, etc along with an air compressor. I did hook up my n120 volt air compressor to it, it pulls a pretty good load and the generator seemed to do OK. It did dip in both Hz and Volts but recovered fairly quickly and as the compressor built air it compensated for the additional load.

jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2016, 04:25 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Well, since my last post I was able to acquire all the supplies and set the pump. I went ahead and installed the pitless adapter so the pump column is installed as it would be in a permanent installation. Took the lawn mower with the generator mounted on it out and got everything wired in and tested the system. I purchased a fully enclosed electrical panel that had a 50 amp 240 volt RV plug, a 30 amp plug and a 120 volt plug. I substituted the 50 amp double pole breaker with a 20 amp to protect the pump.

I set the throttle so that the generator was putting out ~61.5 hertz with no load and when I turned the pump on it settled in at ~60 hertz and was fluctuating between 59.5-60.5 hertz, volts were steady at ~115.

So I'm pretty satisfied with the generator and think it will work as intended. Having it mounted to the front of the mower makes it easy to get around.

jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Well, since my last post I was able to acquire all the supplies and set the pump. I went ahead and installed the pitless adapter so the pump column is installed as it would be in a permanent installation. Took the lawn mower with the generator mounted on it out and got everything wired in and tested the system. I purchased a fully enclosed electrical panel that had a 50 amp 240 volt RV plug, a 30 amp plug and a 120 volt plug. I substituted the 50 amp double pole breaker with a 20 amp to protect the pump.

I set the throttle so that the generator was putting out ~61.5 hertz with no load and when I turned the pump on it settled in at ~60 hertz and was fluctuating between 59.5-60.5 hertz, volts were steady at ~115.

So I'm pretty satisfied with the generator and think it will work as intended. Having it mounted to the front of the mower makes it easy to get around.
Good to hear. Now, don't forget the Beer Fridge.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:08 AM   #18

Good to hear that it's working out for you.

This is sort of beyond your question, but Europe's electrical grid runs at 50 Hertz. Alternating current motors try to run at a speed that synchronizes with the Hertz of the current. Motors that run 1800 rpm on 60 Hertz will run at 1500 rpm on a 50 Hertz system. At the lower rpm they produce proportionally lower horsepower. Many motors have nameplates that state the power produced and amps required at both 50 and 60 Hertz, and are designed to run fine with either. Check your air compressor. If it has both on the nameplate, you have nothing to worry about.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:17 AM   #19

FWIW - I was watching Gold Rush the other night when they cranked up the speed on the dredge. I noticed they were running a variable frequency AC drive with the speed at 80 Hz. Given the age of the dredge I can tell you that was not the original controller for that old motor. It does make a point that worrying about a couple of Hz is probably over thinking the problem. ;-)

That said it is one of the many ways we get surprises so worrying is good. I just think you are in safe territory.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:48 PM   #20

Should only run electronics on a pure sine wave inverter generator. Hertz and voltage are maintained at a constant. Some pumps have electronic controls and some newer electric motors are very Hertz and voltage sensitive. When a regular generator is started it will build voltage and hertz from idle to full load RPM's. Opposite when the engine is shut down. This destroys electronics and some types of electric motors.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:52 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW - I was watching Gold Rush the other night when they cranked up the speed on the dredge. I noticed they were running a variable frequency AC drive with the speed at 80 Hz. Given the age of the dredge I can tell you that was not the original controller for that old motor. It does make a point that worrying about a couple of Hz is probably over thinking the problem. ;-)

That said it is one of the many ways we get surprises so worrying is good. I just think you are in safe territory.
The electrician said he was going to crank it up by 30% and see what it'd do. And obviously the electronics have been updated!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:22 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The electrician said he was going to crank it up by 30% and see what it'd do. And obviously the electronics have been updated!
I'm fairly sure the controller was updated. The motor was not. I was doing my time for my country a bit after that dredge was built. We had similar motors on some radars. A variable frequency controller for a motor that size would have involved some very large vacuum tubes probably no longer available. That started changing in the 1980's with big power solid state devices. That may be an old controller but it's a 30 year old controller on a 50 year old motor. The digital readouts are the clue. ;-) Before that variable sheaves or changing the sheave ratios would have been a lot cheaper.

My real point was that the OP was worrying about a few Hz when Tony was cranking up 20 HZ. 10% has been a reasonable number for a lot of things for a long time. That leaves me thinking he is fine as far as frequency regulation on a big wound motor. That would be +- 6 Hz.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:58 AM   #23

There are a lot of unexplained items on GR that just seem to pop up from time to time.
Early on--they had to walk/drive/fly hundreds of miles for the correct item, now it just miraculously appears immediately.
As to the pump motor working correctly, a factual answer can be had from the mfg rep you bought it from...
Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator