RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:04 AM   #1

Generator Question

Question

I have a class A Fleetwood Terra with a 80 gallon gas tank. How much gas does the generator consume on average?

msethna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2018, 08:30 AM   #2

Depending on what's running, 1/2 to 1 gallon per hour.

It will typically run out of gas at 1/4 tank, leaving you some for the big engine to drive to a gas station.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:56 AM   #3

Thanks Twinboat we are newbies and have only been out once. Trying to figure everything out.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:05 PM   #4

We never park, even for a night, with less than half a tank just so we don't find out the hard way how accurate the gas gauge is. If we're planning to boondock for a while, we usually fill up. One less thing to worry about.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:42 PM   #5

At max capacity the 6,000 KW diesel genny burns a gallon/hr. It has a auto cut off 1/4 tank as to not leave you stranded and for us that is 15 gallons left in the tank.

-Kevin
Old 12-27-2018, 06:43 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I ran a Onan 5500 for 96 hours straight on several occasions, due to the 100 degree weather at a few race venues. I ran both AC's, but I assume the compressors were not on 100% of the time, especially at night. It always averaged about 14 gallons / 24 hour period with that type of load on it. Hope that helps.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:18 PM   #7

Thanks for all the reply’s
Old 02-08-2019, 05:17 PM   #8

Late to the game here. When I pulled my gas tank down a couple of years ago I found that the generator line went all of the way to the bottom of the tank. So be careful about that 1/4 of a tank thing.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:09 AM   #9
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
We ran our genny (Onan 5500) last week for about an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening (13 hours total) to re-charge batteries. This was a low load on the generator as we only had the original single stage converter / charger that does a poor job of quickly charging the batteries. (I replaced it this week with a three stage).

I figured we burned average about 1/3 gallon per hour. There is a little room for error in the calculation, but this should be reasonably close.

Quote:
So be careful about that 1/4 of a tank thing.
When I had my gas tank out last summer to replace the fuel pump, my pickup it was about 1/4 tank. I lowered it farther so now its about 1/8 tank.

http://www.1999southwind.com/f53-replace-fuel-pump/

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
We ran our genny (Onan 5500) last week for about an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening (13 hours total) to re-charge batteries. This was a low load on the generator as we only had the original single stage converter / charger that does a poor job of quickly charging the batteries. (I replaced it this week with a three stage).

I figured we burned average about 1/3 gallon per hour. There is a little room for error in the calculation, but this should be reasonably close.

When I had my gas tank out last summer to replace the fuel pump, my pickup it was about 1/4 tank. I lowered it farther so now its about 1/8 tank.

F53 Replace Fuel Pump – 1999 Southwind 35S

Regarding your fuel pump replacement job ... wow that looks like a lot of work! I'll probably save up and pay to have it done someday (~71K miles on our E450 MH chassis).

However you're right, in that if the pump ever dies there is no way to "limp along to get help" ... you're dead in the water (or sand, or woods).

How about the pump relay? That'll leave you dead in the water if it fails too, won't it?

The pump is so critical and impossible to do anything about in the field that I wish Ford would have designed their various truck chassis with redundant fuel pumps (and relays) so that if one fails, a warning light on the dash would tell you that from then on you were depending upon only one pump or relay.

I would have paid more for the above kind of redundancy reliability in a motorhome chassis because we do boondock camp some out in the middle of nowhere.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:33 AM   #11

Good review Waiter, about dropping the tank. When I did mine it still had a 1/3 of a tank of fuel in it. Reason I dropped mine was age. I figured that the hoses had to be getting brittle. Good thing i did, the fuel hose was a special hose with crimped fittings. Could not be found anywhere. I had to take it to a hydraulic hose guy and he had to use the original fittings. I replaced the pump just for good measure. I used a Horrible Freight hydraulic table to drop the tank. After removing the handle on the table I bumped it right up to the tank, unbolted the tank dropped it till the hoses wouldn't let it go down any further removed the hoses and dropped it the rest of the way. Rolled it out from under the MH, Easy peasy.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:20 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
Regarding your fuel pump replacement job ... wow that looks like a lot of work! I'll probably save up and pay to have it done someday (~71K miles on our E450 MH chassis).

However you're right, in that if the pump ever dies there is no way to "limp along to get help" ... you're dead in the water (or sand, or woods).

How about the pump relay? That'll leave you dead in the water if it fails too, won't it?

The pump is so critical and impossible to do anything about in the field that I wish Ford would have designed their various truck chassis with redundant fuel pumps (and relays) so that if one fails, a warning light on the dash would tell you that from then on you were depending upon only one pump or relay.

I would have paid more for the above kind of redundancy reliability in a motorhome chassis because we do boondock camp some out in the middle of nowhere.
You probably could add an in-line electric pump as an auxiillary pump for emergencies
John Hilley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
You probably could add an in-line electric pump as an auxiillary pump for emergencies
yes and there is always a way to jump relays to make them work
Old 02-10-2019, 12:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
I did that on a small piston-engined aircraft years ago. I bypassed the mechanical rubber diaphragm fuel pump with an electric pump and some check valves. I only used it on takeoffs and landings for instant redundancy.

2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator