Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nplenzick View Post
I've been following this post as I'm getting ready to purchase a Honda 2000. My main use is not for our motorhome but to power about 1500 watts of lighting for our vendor booth and it could also be used for emergency backup for the MH. Right now I have an older Yamaha 2500, I find it noisy, heavy, and it uses quit a bit of fuel. A few weeks ago I used a friends Honda 2000 and was mighty impressed as we were very close to 2000 watts and used only about 1 gallon of fuel in a 10 hour day not to mentioned that it was so quiet you forgot it was running.
I'm a little confused as to some of the statements here. There's a pretty big difference in price and weight according to the Honda website. EU 2000 Companion $1279.95 47 lbs. EU 3000 $2599.95 78 lbs. Weight is a big issue with me and my very bad back and personally I would rather have two 2000's then one 3000 as I see the maintenance issue ( plug, air filter, and oil change) as just about nothing.
Can anyone also recommend a good online store that sells the Honda 2000. In these parts most are selling at list price

There are 2 versions of the Honda 3000.

The 3000 "Handy" and the standard EU3000.
The Handy is much lighter but isn't nearly as robust. (still a great genny)

I would advise to get a bigger genny of you are really going to run a 2K at 1500 watts for significant time. the 2Ks rated sustained output is 1600 watts and you will be running the snot out of it at a constant 1500. YOu will also find at that rated load it will consume its 1.1 gallon tank in about 4 hours- not the 10 you describes.

Uncle Dave

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2011, 01:23 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
There are 2 versions of the Honda 3000.

The 3000 "Handy" and the standard EU3000.
The Handy is much lighter but isn't nearly as robust. (still a great genny)

I would advise to get a bigger genny of you are really going to run a 2K at 1500 watts for significant time. the 2Ks rated sustained output is 1600 watts and you will be running the snot out of it at a constant 1500. YOu will also find at that rated load it will consume its 1.1 gallon tank in about 4 hours- not the 10 you describes.

Uncle Dave
According to the Honda website the Handy has a 78lb dry weight. That's pretty heavy for this arthritic back of mine . If I was going to use it as my primary generator I might consider it however I'm very pleased with my 7500 Onan diesel that's in my coach. Since I'm a vendor at many motorcycle shows I have a need for a small quite generator and I will only use it as an emergency back up in the MH in case something happens to the Onan.
Just a few weeks ago in Daytona we used a friends Honda 2000, it powered 6 250W halogen lights along with a battery charger in my booth and at least 300 watts in his booth. We ran it for 10 days at 10 hours at a time. It used slightly more then 1 gallon of gas per day. I was more then impressed.

nplenzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:45 PM   #31

Quote:
According to the Honda website the Handy has a 78lb dry weight. That's pretty heavy for this arthritic back of mine . If I was going to use it as my primary generator I might consider it however I'm very pleased with my 7500 Onan diesel that's in my coach. Since I'm a vendor at many motorcycle shows I have a need for a small quite generator and I will only use it as an emergency back up in the MH in case something happens to the Onan.
Just a few weeks ago in Daytona we used a friends Honda 2000, it powered 6 250W halogen lights along with a battery charger in my booth and at least 300 watts in his booth. We ran it for 10 days at 10 hours at a time. It used slightly more then 1 gallon of gas per day. I was more then impressed.
The Onan diesels are simply great gennies.

I would respectfully challenge your run times calculations as being off.
Your friend may have snuck a gallon or so in every half day or so , or the load wasn't as great as you claim- but my experience and hondas own specs tell us your calcs are off.

By my measurements and experience a fully loaded 2K at 1600 watts will run about 4-4.5 hours on 1.1 gallon.

You are claiming it will sustain (around) 1800 watts on 1/10nth of a gallon an hour.

It will not.

Its a great genny, but will not do what you are describing.

YouTube - Honda 2K with extended run tank

Uncle Dave
Old 03-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #32

I'm the guy who filled the generator as I'm the one who supplied the gas.
It's possible that the 250 Watts that's was marked on the box that the halogen lights came in is incorrect.............I have had stranger things happen before. Never the less the 2000 meets and exceeds my needs for what I wish to use it for. So can anyone recommend a place to purchase one? There going for retail in these parts and most don't even stock them. So if I have to order might as well shop around.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:19 PM   #33

Quote:
I'm the guy who filled the generator as I'm the one who supplied the gas.
It's possible that the 250 Watts that's was marked on the box that the halogen lights came in is incorrect.............I have had stranger things happen before. Never the less the 2000 meets and exceeds my needs for what I wish to use it for. So can anyone recommend a place to purchase one? There going for retail in these parts and most don't even stock them. So if I have to order might as well shop around.
Wise sales
Hayes
Central main diesel - are all good shops

Also your local motorcycle shop- good to have a relationship for parts and service for the same or maybe even just a few bucks less.

UD
Old 03-25-2011, 08:51 PM   #34

Run an internet search for "Honda EU 2000 lowest price". This will narrow your search for the lowest internet price, but you will still need to read each result.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:55 AM   #35

Champion generator.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:33 AM   #36

Try Before You Buy?

I was going to suggest you try before you buy, but I see you did that already in re-reading this Thread. If it suits you, add an A/C Start Kit in advance and you're good to go. Also, it would save wear & tear on all the mechanical 'things'. Then, with that Kit, you've slanted conditions to 'the best possible scenario' to work to your advantage.

Starting with Biz Trips around Tokyo starting in '83, we'd grab tasty, safe Cart Food late at night. Those lil Vendor Carts had small, unbelievably-quiet Gennies running Lights and, sometimes, Cash Registers and Radios. That's when I first realized such quiet Gennies were even 'out there' to be purchased.

My hunch is that Hondas are conservatively rated at least a bit. So, with good Oil, and not in a confined area w/o proper cooling, they'll likely run at full capacity just fine w/extended Fuel Tank. Besides your Ear monitoring Engine running load, the best performance indicator will be a Voltmeter monitoring output Voltage initially.

The best Genny price here North of Denver is at 'Murdock's' Farm & Ranch. I realize they're likely not around you, but I wanted to suggest trying a Farm & Ranch Store.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:17 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wise Sales

Do a search on google for them.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:53 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I recently bought a Honda EU2000i Companion an EU2000i withe the parallel cable plus the 6 gallon extended run tank. The best price I found on the web was at Wise Sales. No shipping charges other than insurance.

I set the two up in parallel and hooked up the trailer and set it to run the Coleman 15K heat pump.

The generators started on the 4th pull and the 3rd pull. After a few minutes of warm up, and Eco Throttle off, it started the 15K A/C. Later, I put them both on Eco Throttle and it would start the 15K A/C.

So far I have put about 1.5 hours on the pair and they start on the first pull.

I looked at the Kipor and Boyli and decided on the two 2000 watt Hondas for the reliability of the name and service network.

I also decided to take the two 2000 watt units over the one 3000 for the additional capacity, plus two smaller ones are easier to lift to the truck than the larger 3000 watt.

I know several people with the Kipors and they are happy with them as well.

Ken
Old 03-28-2011, 09:20 AM   #39

Thanks for all the replies. Wise was the least expensive that I found that was closest to me so I ordered from them. Very pleasant experience from the fellow on the phone.