Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #1

Generator question??

Anyone have experience with the Dometic LW3000P generator? Seems to be an affordable quiet generator. Would mostly use it for boondocking overnight for long trips.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #2

I unsuccessfully searched the internet for specs on this genset. All I could find for output wattage is this quote" can power a 13,500 rooftop air conditioner. notice it does not say it will. No website I found lists surge/starting wattage or running wattage.
I have no idea who makes this genset, as Dometic does not make most of the products they market. The selling price of $859
RV Parts and RV Accessories - From Tom Schaeffer's RV Super Store up to $1,059.
I suppose a phone call directly to Dometic will be more informative.
For another brand suggestion; I have used a RV's choice for Portable Power - Boliy USA, Home of the Boliy Generator since July 2008.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:03 PM   #3

Dometic Generator

Bought one 3 weeks ago while I was in Quartzite. Wouldnt start on several occasions. Neither electric or pull start. Took it back to the RV store for a refund. While there saw another 3000 W being worked on. Went to the tent and immediatly bought a Honda 2000W. Best generator out there. I know because I have had several others. Bob S
Old 02-23-2011, 03:18 AM   #4

Another vote for Honda.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:07 AM   #5

Would Honda 2000 run an ac?
Old 02-23-2011, 10:06 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkmoney View Post
Would Honda 2000 run an ac?
Nope. My Yamaha 2400i would run my AC on my little bumper-pull trailer. (not sure on the size, but surely it was a small AC unit) I liked the 2400i for it's small size, very low fuel consumption, and quietness. Several buddies have the Honda 3000 and it runs an AC unit no problems....but it is a bunch more of a lift to load 'er up at the end of the weekend.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
you need a minimum of 3.5k gen to power up 1 (one) 13.5k B.T.U. AC without event
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:26 AM   #8

I love my Honda 3000I but it is heavy as stated above. My MH has a 4000kw but if I want power as we sleep I use the 3000. It doesn't vibrate the bed and uses less gas.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:21 PM   #9

Kipor 3000 Watt Genny

Along with getting a great price recently on a '89 15' Play-Mor TT sitting several months on a Used Car Lot, I learned a Kipor 3000 Genny was included from the prior Owner. As we tried to fire it up we found no Gas smell in the Tank. The Starting Battery was sealed off Factory-style. Never used!

In my research on what I'd 'inherited', the Amazon Reviews seemed representative enough to post here. Low ~60 dB noise level and 'pure' Sine Wave output. I haven't fired it up yet; no need. Seriously heavy, but the 'price' was right. We'll use it a little while Boondocking until I find Balance-of-System on Golf Cart Batteries AH capacity and need to recharge; long term potential for Solar PV Panels; and the best solution for our pretty simple Camping lifestyle. A new Carrier V Roof AC Unit was included, and I've every confidence this ~23 AC Amp Genny can run it. I can sell my VERY noisy 4,500 Watt Generac Genny used some while building our Solar Retirement House, and the Kipor can also serve as a modest Power-outage Genny.

Before I put 1 additional Battery on the Tongue and even think about putting any Water in the 30 Gallon Tank under the front end Goucho Couch, the Trailer Tongue load seems substantial. By using a small Door Ramp, I plan to lash down the wheeled Genny in the TT for transport, and for ideal TT Tongue load balance.

Note Kipor's knock off of 2 Gennies that can be interconnected, Honda-style.

A pal w/o Trailer AC likes his used Yamaha Genny from Craig's List quite well.

Kipor 3000 Watt Genny

Play-Mor 1600
Old 02-23-2011, 10:05 PM   #10

A 3K genny can operate a 13.5 K A/C if a hard start kit is installed on the A/C . Just can't operate much of anything else if A/C is operating
Old 02-24-2011, 08:41 AM   #11

Would mostly use the genny for boon-docking/ac.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:42 AM   #12

Surprised no one used the Dometic or other type of gen besides the Honda or yamaha.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:08 AM   #13

I did find the spec sheet for the Dometic at the dometicusa website. Rated power was 2.6kw, 2.8kw max. Not much excess power over what an AC will require for startup as indicated by RVHauler.

http://www.dometic.com/f8b312df-7fcd...141a9932.fodoc
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkmoney View Post
Surprised no one used the Dometic or other type of gen besides the Honda or yamaha.
Im not.

Dometics unit is relatively new in comparison and little is known about what you are going to get for your money at this stage.

Parts, service, ease of repair, location of repair centers - all more or less unknown.

spec sheet reads well if a little light in actual details, well see if it delivers.

UD