RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:02 AM   #1

Generator(s) in truck bed

We're typically doing full hookups, but I want to give Boondocking a shot. Buying 2 Ryobi 2300 watt generators to parallel together to be able to run my 37' TT (50amp) so I can at least run 1 AC unit here in FL. I'd imagine once you set up at a site, you'd want to drag the generators away from the TT (they are pretty quiet inverter generators). But what about in the bed of the truck, if the cover was open, and exhaust not pointing towards the TT or the cab of the truck - is this fairly safe to do from a carbon monoxide standpoint? I'm thinking even for short stops say at a rest area to throw the slides open and kick on the AC and have lunch...is this doable and safe? Sure would be easier to secure them in the truck bed...

54Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2017, 10:05 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Is it doable? Sure. Should you do it? Heat, odor, risk of fire, etc. Gotta figure this out for your own acceptable idea of risk.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:12 PM   #3

Leaving a generator in the truck bed is a good way to get it stolen, especially at places like rest stops, parking lots, etc. Probably won't be there long enough for you to get carbon monoxide poisoning, unfortunately.

Tweakers will steal anything that isn't welded / chained / nailed down, and destroy everything welded / chained / nailed down in an effort to steal it.
SillyLilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyLilly View Post
Leaving a generator in the truck bed is a good way to get it stolen, especially at places like rest stops, parking lots, etc. Probably won't be there long enough for you to get carbon monoxide poisoning, unfortunately.

Tweakers will steal anything that isn't welded / chained / nailed down, and destroy everything welded / chained / nailed down in an effort to steal it.
Well, yes...it would certainly be chained up inside the bed. I have a hard top folding tonneau cover that covers everything and locks it up out of view (when not being used). I'm less worried about security of it being stolen, as I am about about the question related to CO.
54Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:00 PM   #5

We do this although we're running one Yamaha 3000. We do have a carbon monoxide detector in the front of the trailer (x2 in the back) and have never had an issue. Ours is cabled in the back with locks and when not towing I keep it covered with a tonneau cover. We also have a 50amp plug on the front of the trailer and a transfer switch inside so I can plug into either end of the 5'er. Be safe and have fun.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:19 PM   #6

I leave my two Yamaha 2Ks double locked when driving and overnighting. I do not have a shell on the truck and have ran them all night long on Eco before.

When boondocking they are locked together and to the front tire of the truck some 30' away once unhooked. The truck acts as a noise shield although they are very quiet.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duoglide1 View Post
We do this although we're running one Yamaha 3000. We do have a carbon monoxide detector in the front of the trailer (x2 in the back) and have never had an issue. Ours is cabled in the back with locks and when not towing I keep it covered with a tonneau cover. We also have a 50amp plug on the front of the trailer and a transfer switch inside so I can plug into either end of the 5'er. Be safe and have fun.
x2 No problem.

At first I ran our Champion in the bed of the truck when we were moving constantly. No issues. I did put in a CO detector in the bedroom for peace of mind. Never registered a damn thing. I had it locked to the truck bed. Exhaust pointed to the back of the truck. Usually had the tailgate up. We have a firth wheel, so the bedroom is OVER the bed.

I did take the CO sensor outside to make sure it worked and put it on the bedrail, it started wailing in a hurry. But never registered anything but 0 inside the trailer. I would get one. They are $25 at Walmart with a display.

In fact, I've gotten even lazier, and mostly just run Champion while its in the basement with the door open LOL. never been an issue. Exhaust pointed out the side, and I generally shift it so its kinda sticking out of the door.

Right now we're at Greenbelt National Campground and we've been boondocking for 1+ week - but not moving - so I have it out and locked to the front landing gear. CO detector still in the bedroom and still registering 0.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:00 PM   #8

I run our Champion 3,400 watt inverter generator while itís in the bed of our F150 without any problem. I use a cable with a Master padlock to secure it and when not in use it is out of sight under a tonneau cover.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz View Post
x2 No problem.

At first I ran our Champion in the bed of the truck when we were moving constantly. No issues. I did put in a CO detector in the bedroom for peace of mind. Never registered a damn thing. I had it locked to the truck bed. Exhaust pointed to the back of the truck. Usually had the tailgate up. We have a firth wheel, so the bedroom is OVER the bed.

I did take the CO sensor outside to make sure it worked and put it on the bedrail, it started wailing in a hurry. But never registered anything but 0 inside the trailer. I would get one. They are $25 at Walmart with a display.

In fact, I've gotten even lazier, and mostly just run Champion while its in the basement with the door open LOL. never been an issue. Exhaust pointed out the side, and I generally shift it so its kinda sticking out of the door.

Right now we're at Greenbelt National Campground and we've been boondocking for 1+ week - but not moving - so I have it out and locked to the front landing gear. CO detector still in the bedroom and still registering 0.

Great feedback.
wnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:29 PM   #10

I've run our Honda 3000i in the bed of my truck plenty of times. No problems and I keep it locked under the tonneau cover when not running.
richamor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:09 PM   #11

I leave generator in the truck all the time. I drive a 2 foot piece of rebar in the ground and run a #6 wire from generator ground lug to rebar. Just a little added precaution since the generator is not sitting on the ground. Have never locked it up but where we boondock at we rarely ever see anyone else.
ike66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike66 View Post
I leave generator in the truck all the time. I drive a 2 foot piece of rebar in the ground and run a #6 wire from generator ground lug to rebar. Just a little added precaution since the generator is not sitting on the ground. Have never locked it up but where we boondock at we rarely ever see anyone else.
Smart man!
Old 11-01-2017, 08:20 PM   #13

I'm running my Champion in the bed of the truck right now, under a tonneau cover. My cover opens from both ends, and the generators are in the front. I've propped the front open to allow air flow and keep the rain off it, and the tailgate is down to finish the circulation and allow the exhaust out. Ran a cable lock thru the bed tie downs and hitch for security. The tonneau keeps the noise down a little bit more.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:18 AM   #14

We have two Honda EU2000I generators & separate, twin feed fuel tank chained down in the bed of the truck. When in use I leave the hard surface rollup tonneau cover open and the tailgate closed. I have the generators exhaust facing the cab of the truck. Exhaust is not a problem, noise level is minimal and I'm planning on putting an insulated thin sheet of plywood over the generators to reduce the noise even more while running. When we have to go somewhere I unplug the shore power cord from the camper, coil it up in the bed of the truck, closed the tonneau cover and drive away. ALWAYS lock the camper door and trailer tongue when we leave and what is left outside is "cheap, fair game items" for the SOB who thinks they got to have what I have. Knock on wood, nothing has "walked off" yet.

Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator