Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2008, 11:58 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
I have no idea where this should go..but we have been without power since the wee hours of Frday (Ice storm). We just borrowed a small generator and we're hooked! We don't have our heat hooked to it..we are using our weedstove for some heat.I would like suggestions of one that can go camping with me..that can be lifted in and out of the truck, so we can go to state campgrounds and run it for a few hours. I hear Honda mentioned a lot. What is your opinion. na dhow often will I have to 'feed' this thing..how many gallons per hour? Thanks all.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2008, 11:58 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
I have no idea where this should go..but we have been without power since the wee hours of Frday (Ice storm). We just borrowed a small generator and we're hooked! We don't have our heat hooked to it..we are using our weedstove for some heat.I would like suggestions of one that can go camping with me..that can be lifted in and out of the truck, so we can go to state campgrounds and run it for a few hours. I hear Honda mentioned a lot. What is your opinion. na dhow often will I have to 'feed' this thing..how many gallons per hour? Thanks all.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:01 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes, if you want to use a generator at places like state campgrounds, PLEASE get a quiet one like the Honda or Yamaha inverter generators!

A Honda EU1000i or a Honda EU2000i should fit the bill, as well as the Yamaha EF1000iS or the Yamaha EF2400iS.

Google each generator and you'll come up with the complete specs, including run time on a tank of fuel.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If you only want a small generator that is easily portable, you are talking something less than2500 watts and possibly as low as 1000 watts (depends on how much you can lift into the back of the truck). You definitely want quiet, so the Honda & Yamaha inverter generators named above are by far the best bets. They aren't cheap, though.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:27 PM   #5
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
We used the Honda 2000 and its very quiet before we got our toy hauler, I still use it when needed for small things when we are out and about. They are also lite, and depending how much draw you will have you might be able to go down to the 1000.
Have fun
Old 12-15-2008, 10:55 AM   #6

The first thing to figure out is what you want to do with it besides lift it into and out of the truck.

Battery charging? (house or laptop or what?)

Microwave a cup of coffee?

run a few lights?

run a DVD or TV?

run a house refrigerator?

air conditioner?

Do some brainstorming. Make a list. Then go through that list and figure out the peak watts each will need (look on the back of the appliance for this number).

Now you can start to look for a genset that will provide those watts and compare features like noise level, weight, whether they can be ganged up together (a popular feature of some inverter types like the Honda 2000 is that you can connect 2 together for more watts), fuel, etc

Then you can balance the features with your list of potential uses, see what has to give and what doesn't and what can't to narrow down the choices.

Or you can use the trial and error method - a bit expensive but often used and it does work!

Whatever you do, never, ever run a genset in a closed space like a garage or even a porch. Always make sure you have a functioning CO detector in your living space when gensets are nearby. Follow the safety precautions listed in your genset manual!
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:01 PM   #7

I am well satisfied with my Boliy PRO3600SI genset. When you compare the specs, they are virtually the same as the Honda invertor series, and quieter than Yamaha.
A real plus is, it weighs ~77-80# full of fuel and oil. They do make smaller sizes if that one is more than you require.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:51 AM   #8

We have 2 Honda 2000's that we have in the tool box in the back of our pick up truck that tows our fiver. They are paralleled together with a fan on the bottom of the tool box so they have circulating air plus the DH put a exhaust pipe in front of each generator. They stay locked inside our low profile tool box, then electrical is run to the fiver & we have power. Plenty to run everything. If we dry camp, we can run them if needed for our little oscilating ceramic heater and just use the furnace to take the crisp out and keep the pipes warm. It WILL operate everything including a/c in the summer as we live in So. Fla.
Jo
Jody & Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote