Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2017, 09:28 PM   #1

Grand Canyon South

Seems there are a few options for boondocking there. Looking for recommendations with experience - I'm almost 40 feet long, so need a big spot. Thanks!
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2017, 09:51 PM   #2

Tex X national forest campground is nice - just outside the park.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
Seems there are a few options for boondocking there. Looking for recommendations with experience - I'm almost 40 feet long, so need a big spot. Thanks!
Plenty of options near Williams and just East of there on I-10. Will be chilly this time of year and snow.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:20 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
There is a forest service road just south of GC Village to the East of the main road. It is large enough for you but we were there in the early summer so I have no idea what the road looks like as far as snow. Road was OK when we were there. Good luck.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:34 AM   #5

Thanks for the insight I'm up by Zion/Escalante right now, it's cold but no snow. Had a dusting of it yesterday, but nothing significant. Hoping Grand Canyon is the same - weather is looking like it.

Thinking of doing one night at Trailer City to dump/refill/give generators a break/take a long shower, then scope out the boondocking sites and stay thru Christmas.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:28 AM   #6

Headed that way in a month. Please let me know what you found for boondocking.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:15 PM   #7

Well, we made it here tonight, after dark - camped at Trailer Village, which isn't that bad, despite the reviews saying it's a parking lot. I requested an end unit and got one - next time, I'll request an end on the right hand side of the park, so my door doesn't face my neighbor.

After boondocking for the last week, squeezing the most days out of 67 gallons of fresh water and running generators to keep everything going...I'll have to say, 50 Amp service and unlimited water are nice! We've decided to stay here thru Christmas so we have no restrictions while cooking for the holiday.

It's cold, and there is light...very light snow on the ground, and a little ice here and there. I'm gonna pull in my freshwater hose before bed, as I think it'll freeze overnight.

I will be checking out some of the boondocking sites while I'm up here, so I'll report back what I see.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:39 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We stayed in the forest during the summer of 2011. I think we were about a mile south of the entry gate off the west side of the hiway.

All NFS land is mapped. Stop at a ranger station and request a "Motor Vehicle Use Map". It will show you likely camping spots. Most rangers are helpful about suggesting places.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/kaibab

It's much warmer in southern AZ and there is lots of BLM land to boondock on.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:31 AM   #9

Hey aknavy, any word on your boondocking adventure. We are going that way in the near further. Need a larger area also for the traveling circus. Go Army, lol. I hope the AK section is Alaska my favorite state.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:09 PM   #10

There are several places to Boondock on the South side. And several on the North. But you have to Join Days End to find exactly where. Total price about $50 for first year. Just Google Days End.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
There are several places to Boondock on the South side. And several on the North. But you have to Join Days End to find exactly where. Total price about $50 for first year. Just Google Days End.
Correction: You have to join Escapees RV Club $40 to join Days End. Both are well worth it.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:56 PM   #12

Didn't get a chance to check out the boondocking sites, as hiking and Christmas ended up taking up our time there. We really like the park in the park, as it required no commute time. It was busy there - more people than I cared for, until we got about two miles down into the canyon.

We left headed south - lot's of forest roads there, so ***should be*** plenty of boondocking opportunities. Unfortunately, we were on a schedule and didn't have time to check them out. Definitely would not consider staying outside the park to the East - it's a long drive to the visitor center or the shuttles. South is a short drive, and there is a pretty well developed little village/town right outside the park.

As far as staying in the national park - if under 35 feet, I'd def stay at the primitive campground. If over, I'd stay at Trailer Village. Very convenient and decent. The store and other facilities there are great, decent prices, and have just about anything you need. Hell, you could even buy everything needed for an overnight at the canyon floor, and it wouldn't be too terribly expensive.....all things considered. Food, beer, and liqueur was all decent.

Finally - to us, the rim and all it's overlooks were disappointing. Too crowded, and the view was washed out, hazy, and not all that impressive. Hike into the canyon - even a mile will make a world of difference! We managed to make it 6 miles down (6 hours round trip), and it was a totally different experience than the rim! Way better - do not stay on the rim!

Tags
alaska, alaska trip