Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't get caught putting all that stuff in the storm drains where I live. The storm drains all go to the Pacific Ocean and they have some heavy fines for violations.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2011, 12:59 AM   #30

Nobody dumps their gray water all at once. Unless they're totally stupid that is. What do you think these caps are for?

You leave your gray water valve open and attach a garden type hose to the connector. So you don't have to see the water flying out of the pipe. I'm in NY and it's not illegal to dump gray water. I've been camping for a very long time. Gray water dumping is not any big deal or worth even discussing. Well, that's my opinion restated.

The rest of the world is going to continue polluting and worrying about camping gray water is not even a drop in the bucket.

Combined sewers are everywhere, NY City, Chicago, Seattle, Washington D.C.. All over the United States. They did it because it was cheaper to have one pipe instead of two.. So what happens with a big rainfall? The entire sewer system is flushed without any treatment at all. Around my island the "government" attempts to fool people into thinking that the sudden high pollution levels after storms are due to run off from the LAND. It's absurd. If the land was that polluted we would have a perpetual plague.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:04 AM   #31

I believe people have gone "crazy" over the environment. For example, the use of antibacterial soap, the absolute worst thing to use. One day a common bacteria humankind has been living with forever is going to manifest itself as a flesh eater of biblical proportions. It's only a matter of time for the pollutant in antibacterial soaps to backfire on everyone. It's BANNED in my home and my son's home.

Well let's assume some of us don't use antibacterial soap. We're safe? There are too many millions of us so afraid of the environment that untold tons of these not so perfect bacterial killers are flushed into our sewer systems. So that seems OK. Except for one thing. The most common chemical used is triclosan. It is NOT a removed from the waste. So where does it go? Well you probably ate it with your salad.

Look for
Fertilizers Made From Domestic Septage and Sewage Sludge (Biosolids)

Nutrient Management and Fertilizer | Agriculture | US EPA

The chemical triclosan has been found in the food chain while they CAREFULLY check for problems.

I would worry less about camping gray water. Whatever you think you're protecting yourself from is going to get you one way or the other.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:35 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
We live in Florida and from our sticks and bricks, the gray water goes to a retention pond and the black goes into the sewer system. This is mandatory in Florida for any new construction.

The gray water in the retention pond is used for irrigation of your lawn and landscaping via sprinkler systems. They even have signs all over the place about not drinking the water from the sprinkler systems.

The reason not to drink the water is ecoli. The ecoli comes from the shower water. If you are like most people, when you shower, you wash your backside for that "clean feeling". That water that runs down your shower has ecoli in it. If you don't use that premium paper to wipe, then in may be on your hands and goes down the sink when you wash. Remember the signs in restaurant bathrooms, "employees must wash their hands", that's to prevent ecoli from contaminating the food!

Most gray water will have ecoli and hence the reason that they request you not dump. Lets say you dump your gray and leave the site, the next Guy sets up on your site and walks outside to make his hookups and walks in your dumped water. He then goes inside and uses his hands to remove his shoes, presto chango, his has ecoli on his hands. He's starving from the drive and just grabs a few cookies from the jar. He spends the next day in the toilet because he has the trots.

Now you say he was stupid cause he was outside working on his setup and should have washed his hands when done. But alas, he didn't need to, because he was smart and used rubber gloves when hooking up.

When staying in Michigan last year, I saw a great setup in a county campground. The sites only had water and electric, but had little closed pits at each site and the pits were for disposal of gray water which allowed you to dump gray tanks without surface contamination. Great idea!
Old 03-22-2011, 06:52 AM   #33

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLNSMOKE View Post
???Where do you think your "gray water" at your house goes???
Grey water (and black) in your home either goes to a septic system or a SANITARY sewer system (run by municipality) -- not a STORM sewer. Storm sewers are not part of the sanitary sewer system. They simply handle groundwater runoff and typically would empty into an untreated basin or other body of water like a stream.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #34

Please say it ain't so

QUOTE=Dave and Jaime;814590]Grey water (and black) in your home either goes to a septic system or a SANITARY sewer system (run by municipality) -- not a STORM sewer. Storm sewers are not part of the sanitary sewer system. They simply handle groundwater runoff and typically would empty into an untreated basin or other body of water like a stream.[/QUOTE]

Topeka Kansas has a COMBINED sewer system which they are expanding rather than "fix".
Business park to get water, sewer service | CJOnline.com

Kansas City Kansas combined sewer system PDF explaining the system:
http://www.wycokck.org/uploadedFiles...ewerSystem.pdf

It would be nice to think what you're saying is true but it's not. I'm not just talking about some boondock location. New York City is combined. I live in NY on Long Island. IF there are storm drains in Suffolk county they drain to SUMPS. Untreated water is put in a hole and then seeps straight down through our sandy soil to the water aquifer. Combined sewer and storm water are common in the most populated areas in the United States. Older Cities did not run around upgrading their systems. They have a hard enough time making believe they maintain what they have in place. Washington D.C. has a combined sewer and storm system, the home of the EPA. I'm also wondering why my statement about combined sewer and storm drains, if read, could be thought of as not true. My statement about the sewer plants in combined systems being flushed out to sea or rivers untreated during storms is a fact. Everything and anything flushable is flushed during a storm. It also does not have to be a torrential downpour for days on end either. Sewer plants are mostly run at their limits in most locations. It doesn't take much extra water to push the sewage through untreated.

My wife grew up in her early years using an outhouse. I lived down the road with a toilet inside our house. When they got enough money to put in a cesspool they got a toilet inside. We have never known anyone who got sick from sewage. Not even when using an outhouse. I use outhouses in all the Adirondack state parks IF they are near where I camp. Some of the outhouses have been decorated by we users even down to a convenient rock to chock the door open when doing your "business"

I have never seen a campground with a treatment plant. Maybe they exist in a resort but I've never seen one. Mostly because we boondock.

Now I'm not a pig so, if I can store all of my waste and dump later, that's what I do. Blackwater is NEVER dumped on the ground. If your black water is full and you don't want to move dig a hole and cover it up. New York state tells you HOW and WHERE. You're not looked upon as a polluter either. Now if you have huge numbers of people hanging around your site doing this it could become a problem. Anything in excess is a problem.

Now if people were REALLY interested in doing the right thing, then they would have motorhomes with composting toilets at a minimum. They've been around for years and years. They work! THEN you wouldn't have to dump your black water. Heck they don't freeze either! They don't have them available because in my belief people are not serious about protecting the environment.

I'm .looking at my motorhome and wondering how they could be so callous as to install an OUTSIDE shower. Anyone using theirs with a pop up shower tent? Should I be standing in a big washtub with a ShamWow in the bottom soaking up the water while I'm taking the shower?

KANSAS CITY, MO combined and they'll go broke upgrading:
Kansas City Faces $3.6 Billion Sewer, Stormwater Upgrade
Old 03-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYDEL View Post
I'm also wondering why my statement about combined sewer and storm drains, if read, could be thought of as not true.
I understand what you are saying and agree with you....however combined systems must be really archaic....so I can understand the misconception that ALL sewers are separate storm and sani. I was looking over some old "as-built" plans for sewers built in Red Deer, Alberta, Can in 1920 and they had separate sani and storm systems then. So I'm thinking these old combined systems must be pretty old. Makes no sense to overwhelm an already taxed sewage treatment system with a storm water surge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYDEL View Post
Should I be standing in a big washtub with a ShamWow in the bottom soaking up the water while I'm taking the shower?
That's funny, I don't care who ya are! LOL.

As to the "grey on the ground" issue. I personally haul out everything I haul in. It's always just the DW and I, so we won't fill up the grey and/or black over the course of a week or so when boondocking anyways. But we do camp with larger families...and after bathing a few kids every night for a few days, most of them end up trickling some grey out before the week is up.....
Old 03-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #36

Glad you enjoyed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMXDave View Post
I understand what you are saying and agree with you....however combined systems must be really archaic....so I can understand the misconception that ALL sewers are separate storm and sani. I was looking over some old "as-built" plans for sewers built in Red Deer, Alberta, Can in 1920 and they had separate sani and storm systems then. So I'm thinking these old combined systems must be pretty old. Makes no sense to overwhelm an already taxed sewage treatment system with a storm water surge.

That's funny, I don't care who ya are! LOL.

As to the "grey on the ground" issue. I personally haul out everything I haul in. It's always just the DW and I, so we won't fill up the grey and/or black over the course of a week or so when boondocking anyways. But we do camp with larger families...and after bathing a few kids every night for a few days, most of them end up trickling some grey out before the week is up.....

Glad you liked my "visualization". I was laughing myself as I typed it. Of course in MY visualization I was au naturale as they say in some parts of Canada. Not a pretty sight.