Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2011, 07:47 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am the one that made the posting about boondocking and dumping ''Gray Water'' on the ground. I was refering to Boondocking on the Alcan highway up in Canada especially. Here is the simple way to look at it. You must stop somewhere and re fill your fresh water tank. While you are refilling your ''fresh water tank''.... DUMP EVERYTHING ELSE... There are many FREE PLACES along the Alcan to do just that. Look in Milepost for locations.
One other thing...... lets pretend you are boondocking fifty miles from nothing on the Alcan and you dump your ''GRAY'' water tank. A momma Griz bear can smell it a very long way away and they are very curious animals and they may just come calling and sniffing around about two in the morning. The momma griz can rip out a ''toad'' window like opening a pack of potato chips and she is just ''sniffing around'' for that new scent. One other thing. Why is it necessary for us to deliberately mess up things when it is not necessary.

Nuff said for now.

God bless our troops and bring them home really soon ......
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Actually, if camping for a week at a site, my gray tank smells worse than the black tank when I dump. Both have chemicals added....

Last year while camping at a state park in PA., two rv's next to us who where new-be's, would let there tank drip out slowly. It did cause my site to smell when the wind blew. Very nicely I told them it's just something you shouldn't do....The river was 10 feet from their RV's rear bumper. Both families had rental RV's, so I believe they just didn't know....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:51 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Seajay brought up an excellent point about the animals being attracted to the graywater. Then if they ingest some of it , perhaps along with who knows what soap or detergent, they might get ill or die. Some cleaners are not biodegradable. Some are downright poisonous.
It's not like your washing up with dr brunners on the trail with a half cup of water, you are releasing 100 times that amount of liquid with soaps or detergents.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
I am the one that made the posting about boondocking and dumping ''Gray Water'' on the ground. I was refering to Boondocking on the Alcan highway up in Canada especially. Here is the simple way to look at it. You must stop somewhere and re fill your fresh water tank. While you are refilling your ''fresh water tank''.... DUMP EVERYTHING ELSE... There are many FREE PLACES along the Alcan to do just that. Look in Milepost for locations.
One other thing...... lets pretend you are boondocking fifty miles from nothing on the Alcan and you dump your ''GRAY'' water tank. A momma Griz bear can smell it a very long way away and they are very curious animals and they may just come calling and sniffing around about two in the morning. The momma griz can rip out a ''toad'' window like opening a pack of potato chips and she is just ''sniffing around'' for that new scent. One other thing. Why is it necessary for us to deliberately mess up things when it is not necessary.

Nuff said for now.

God bless our troops and bring them home really soon ......
i lived in the bush for over two years and never had a problem with bears..except the time I threw my strawberries out the door..lol ( I know what a dummie lol) My gray water always drained under my camper.
and honestly it never stunk..why would it,it's soap and water...
( I just read the "I lived in the bush for 2 years) and thought.."man that sounds like some BSing clown..." lol but it is true. I wasn't taking 15 minute hot showers but I did shower everyday and there was mostly just water going down the drain...
I agree if you can drain it someplace proper..Do it! It just makes sence.
I was staying at one spot from 1 month to 5 months at a time so I didn't want to freeze my tanks in winter and mine didn't come with a gray water tank anyways...
ROLLNSMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:16 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hard to imagine it would "inconvenience" anyone to use a blue tank to collect and properly dispose grey water at a campground or even while boondocking. Even animals are smart enough to not "foul" where they live. If we dont show respect for the land, our neighbors, and the Rv'ers that follow us we are not long for regulations by a government we are all growing to dispise.

Be a responsible Rv'er, dump where it's supposed to be dumped and leave nothing behind but memories.
MegaRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:28 AM   #20

I agree it's not a big deal to dump grey water but it does have an unpleasant odor to it as water does when is sits in a dark place (holding tank) for a day or two. Not cool to dump while on a campsite with a camper or two next to you due to the smell. I use a mobile holding tank/tote.
Funkmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thats the big rub about overnight parking a Walmart. Someone posted they saw or heard of campers dumping their tanks down the storm drain in the parking lot. A member on this site posted is it ok to dump down a storm drain.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I guess it's all a matter of interpertation. For me, what I consider boondocking is camping out in the desert. There is no way any critters are going to drink the grey water . It's gone almost before it hits the ground. If you are in an area that has lots of rain and the ground is already saturated, now thats a problem. Every rustic campground that I have ever been in has some means of dumping waste water, be it grey or black. If that were the case and my neighbor was dumping next to me, things would get unpleasent in a hurry. To be honest, in all of my years of camping, I have never seen anyone purposely dumping any water on a campsite.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:39 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLNSMOKE View Post
Hey I read something on here...a guy was really upset that someone had dumped there "gray water" on the ground at a random campspot or a boondocking spot you might say.

My old motorhome is a 1970 and the sink and shower drain on the ground.That is the way it came from the factory.
There's a huge difference between letting gray water trickle out a little at a time and dumping a large quantity at once (our gray water tank, for instance, is 55 gallons...that's a bunch of water to let go at one time).

However, dumping gray water is illegal in some places, so if you're camping someplace where it is illegal, you'd better have a bucket of some type to catch your gray water. Many campgrounds we've been to have a special gray water dump receptacle.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:27 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikron View Post
Thats the big rub about overnight parking a Walmart. Someone posted they saw or heard of campers dumping their tanks down the storm drain in the parking lot. A member on this site posted is it ok to dump down a storm drain.

No way !! Theres nobody on this Forum that is that stupid .
Old 03-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
[/B]

No way !! Theres nobody on this Forum that is that stupid .
???Where do you think your "gray water" at your house goes???
Old 03-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Our gray water goes in the sewer. The sewer and storm drains are totally separate systems. Sewer goes to the treatment plant, storm drain doesn't.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Over to Walmart and down their drain???????????? I should have known !
Old 03-21-2011, 08:42 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas1 View Post
Our gray water goes in the sewer. The sewer and storm drains are totally separate systems. Sewer goes to the treatment plant, storm drain doesn't.
When you wash your car outside where does the soapy/greasy water go???Storm drain...lol

You know people spray chemicals "round up" and things like that and no one ever considers that being a bad thing even though it goes right into the ground....