Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #1

"Graywater"

Hey I read something on here...a guy was really upset that someone had dumped there "gray water" on the ground at a random campspot or a boondocking spot you might say.

My old motorhome is a 1970 and the sink and shower drain on the ground.That is the way it came from the factory. Now I don't go to campsites,I always "boondock". It is nothing more than shower water and dirty dish water...is this the "gray water" that is supposedly so bad to dump on the ground and if so how is it any worse than washing your car outside or leaking oil from vehicles on the highway or all the pollutants that come out of your tail pipe and go into the air while you are getting to your camp spot...or the jet that burns thousands of gallons of fuel overhead...etc etc...?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2011, 07:17 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are 3 kinds of waste water

Black (You know what that is)
Gray, which includes KITCHEN SINK waste and "Wash" which does not include kitchen sink, but may both bathroom lav and shower.

Now, in some places dumping WASH water on the ground is actually legal (no food particles)

That's all I can tell you.

Where i"ll be next week they have special Gray Water Dumps.

What I did in my trailer days

The trailers had no tanks save for 5-10 gallons of fresh.. I used a 10 gallon "Blue Boy" If I had it to do over I'd get a 15 but I made the 10 do.. Why a 15?

Well there is a hitch adapter fits 15 and 20 as I recll, won't fit a 10,, I modified it to fit the 10.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #3

I don't think any gray water is pollution. I do think that it is discouraged because it attracts animals to your site. Many people don't like that especially when the animal is bigger than they are. Plus I think the Rangers don't want to get stuck picking up people's remains after the attack. I've been able to avoid dumping gray on the ground, usually, but a couple of times I had no choice in the boonies.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:16 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
that and some shower water may contain high levels of UREA....

all babies and some adults pee in the shower, its just life i think it gets worse as we age
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYDEL View Post
I don't think any gray water is pollution. I do think that it is discouraged because it attracts animals to your site. Many people don't like that especially when the animal is bigger than they are. Plus I think the Rangers don't want to get stuck picking up people's remains after the attack. I've been able to avoid dumping gray on the ground, usually, but a couple of times I had no choice in the boonies.
I'm not to worried about critters bigger than me...who would when you pack an M1 Gerand eight shot semi auto 30.06...haha! You Americans will know that rifle well and the Canadians should too since it was a Canadian who built it!...eh!

can you say "PING"!!!!! lol
Old 03-16-2011, 11:00 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLNSMOKE View Post
I'm not to worried about critters bigger than me...who would when you pack an M1 Gerand eight shot semi auto 30.06...haha! You Americans will know that rifle well and the Canadians should too since it was a Canadian who built it!...eh!

can you say "PING"!!!!! lol
????????
Old 03-17-2011, 12:21 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I wouldn't worry about dumping a little grey water in the dirt when boondocking . Just don't dump a whole tankful and flood the area. Just let it drip out as you are using it. You could also dig a hole so that it will leach into the ground without spreading. I sure wouldn't do it in an inhabited area. You KNOW someone will complain.
FYI. M80's work great for running off unwanted critters of all sizes.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I wouldn't worry about dumping a little grey water in the dirt when boondocking . Just don't dump a whole tankful and flood the area. Just let it drip out as you are using it. You could also dig a hole so that it will leach into the ground without spreading. I sure wouldn't do it in an inhabited area. You KNOW someone will complain.
FYI. M80's work great for running off unwanted critters of all sizes.
HAHA! I'm sure they would..lol
Old 03-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You know.. Reading this reminds me of another post in another thread.

The poster mentioned that his neighbor never seemed to move his rig to the dump station. (the park had a dump station but the campsites were water/electric only)

Finally one day he found out how he was doing it, and notified management... Later he got a new neighbor (Earth movers and such)

Seems he was dumping not only gray, but BLACK on the ground.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #10

One never knows what is in gray water, and one really never knows what is coming out of the pipe from an RV, so the proper stance is to not allow any dumping. People wash their hands after "You know", people take showers, wash animals, etc. Food particles and other stinking things dumped on the ground for the next campers to "enjoy" is not a pleasant thought. Of course neither is being the next camper at a site where the previous occupants had multiple dogs in an outside pen and did little to clean up after them.

We need to think about the next set of folks that will use a campsite and those to the left/right of us.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:09 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
You know.. Reading this reminds me of another post in another thread.

The poster mentioned that his neighbor never seemed to move his rig to the dump station. (the park had a dump station but the campsites were water/electric only)

Finally one day he found out how he was doing it, and notified management... Later he got a new neighbor (Earth movers and such)

Seems he was dumping not only gray, but BLACK on the ground.
Some folks are beyond stupid and never ever get it. Just because it might be OK to dribble a bit of gray water on certain occasions in certain places doesn't mean anyone should just start dumping their greywater everywhere. Thats why they have to have rules that state NO DUMPING OF BLACK OR GRAY WATER.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:43 PM   #12

On goverment land the rules and regulations say in DISPURSED CAMPING AREAS it is legal to dump gray water on the ground. I do it all the time. I do let it dribble out as I use it rather than dumping a bunch at once.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:48 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I "camped" a week at a friends place in NM. He watered his trees with my gray water. I wouldn't think of dumping it on the ground anywhere without express permission.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LOL when I put out my dogs in the outside pens I use my polyprop mats as I never know what the campers before me left on the ground. I don't want the dogs on that ground and then coming inside my coach and getting whatever on my sofa lol I have seen everything from old food, shrimp casing, to diapers......
I also walk the dogs to do their business many times a day so they don't "go" in the pens. I use the pens mainly to let them strech their legs while I sit out with them.

ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote