Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:59 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just for everyones information. Solar Cynergy panels are not UL or NEC compliant.

az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2012, 01:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
Just for everyones information. Solar Cynergy panels are not UL or NEC compliant.

You know it seems like evry time someone trys to post something on this website to try to help people out there are always people trying to discredit it. If you don't like them then don't buy them! I really don't care one way or another. I put the post on because I got a good deal, especially on the shipping. The panels are well made and are alot cheaper then you can buy anywhere I've seen and I have been checking websites for over a year. From now on I won't post on this site.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:51 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
This means you cannot legally use them in grid-connected applications where you are backfeeding the grid with your power. It does not necessarily mean they are not safe or built well.

Fortunately UL and NEC compliance is not required for low voltage off grid installations like ours where you are charging a battery. The panels I have are also not UL rated, they were sold by Sun Electronics but are the same panels as UL rated ones made by Evergreen, Sun just decided they did not want to spend the money to certify them under their brand.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:08 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I just got a set of two 40 watt units and a regulator?? for $112.00 taxes in but still haven't opened the box yet. I want to purchase something to use as a quick connect so that the panels travel inside the MH and only get put out when parked. Is 100 bucks a decent deal?
Old 04-05-2012, 03:32 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
$100 for 80W is a great deal! Harbor Freight routinely sells a set of 3 15W plus the charge controller and some lights for $150-$160 that is considered a good deal so you did well!

I use normal 120V plugs on my portable panels, using the male end on the panel. That way I can use my heavy duty extension cords to locate the panels farther from the coach. Don't get too much voltage drop as the cords are 12AWG. When I want to go further I use the 30A and 50A cords and some custom adapters to minimize the number of connections.

With this setup I can get about 14A at the battery out of my two 120W panels, pretty good considering the panels are rated with light so bright you never get the rated power in real life.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo16720 View Post
You know it seems like evry time someone trys to post something on this website to try to help people out there are always people trying to discredit it. If you don't like them then don't buy them! I really don't care one way or another. I put the post on because I got a good deal, especially on the shipping. The panels are well made and are alot cheaper then you can buy anywhere I've seen and I have been checking websites for over a year. From now on I won't post on this site.
It was not posted to discredit anything and no mention was made as to quality. It was posted to inform that Solar Cynergy panels were not certified. That being, they would not be elegable for tax credits, nor tax exempt sales, nothing more. In many states there are tax credits and tax exempt sales for solar components, in which case these would not qualify. Guess I should have stated that for those that were not well informed.

If you dont like certain posts, there is no requirement to reply and no need to get one panties in a bunch.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
lets play nice and keep it infomative
2010 Harley Ultra Classic
racefn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:16 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
$100 for 80W is a great deal! Harbor Freight routinely sells a set of 3 15W plus the charge controller and some lights for $150-$160 that is considered a good deal so you did well!

I use normal 120V plugs on my portable panels, using the male end on the panel. That way I can use my heavy duty extension cords to locate the panels farther from the coach. Don't get too much voltage drop as the cords are 12AWG. When I want to go further I use the 30A and 50A cords and some custom adapters to minimize the number of connections.

With this setup I can get about 14A at the battery out of my two 120W panels, pretty good considering the panels are rated with light so bright you never get the rated power in real life.

Those panels from Harbor Freight only put out .8 amp for all three. The neighbor has them on his camp roof. The charge controller is a cheap little thing and the lights aren't that bad. The 80watt panels I got put out 4.7 amps a piece and the charge controller is a Morningstar MTTP. Much better quality stuff for $500 and the 80watt panels are $106 now compared to $129 when I bought them and they even had them on sale for $99.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:58 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo16720 View Post
Those panels from Harbor Freight only put out .8 amp for all three. The neighbor has them on his camp roof. The charge controller is a cheap little thing and the lights aren't that bad. The 80watt panels I got put out 4.7 amps a piece and the charge controller is a Morningstar MTTP. Much better quality stuff for $500 and the 80watt panels are $106 now compared to $129 when I bought them and they even had them on sale for $99.
Agreed
Old 04-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #24

I will bet that these are residential panels. Not rigid enough to withstand the flexing while driving down the road. Residential panel frames can't handle it and they will fail. They also must be "B" grade as no one has prices like this at retail.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:59 AM   #25

iRV2 No Limits Club
It is seldom wise to make blanket statements. The 180W panel on our teardrop is a residential grid tie unit putting out over 50V. It was a screwup on my part because I did not understand the difference between it and a panel used for 12V applications. It forced me to buy a controller that would handle the voltage, a Morninstar MPPT. I founds mounts that could be 3M VHB taped to the roof after consulting with a 3M engineer so I did not have to drill holes. I tracked down the company that makes MOVARA (they would not export to the US) mounts in China and Imported a set. These have the large surface necessary for VHB tape to hold securely at highway speeds. The advantage to the panel is that even when shaded it puts out a high enough voltage to do some good. I also picked up a Unisolar flexible panel on Ebay that was a tear off from a house putting out 43V and Steca PMW controller (Good to 47V) that would handle the high voltage. One big advantage of the high voltage panels is no fear of voltage drop.
There are ways to overcome most any solar install problem with creativity and persistence.
The Morningstar controller can be reprogrammed with the computer interface to accommodate a different charge profile.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:49 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Nichols View Post
I will bet that these are residential panels. Not rigid enough to withstand the flexing while driving down the road. Residential panel frames can't handle it and they will fail. They also must be "B" grade as no one has prices like this at retail.

If you are smart enough to read it says rvs in the information. Most residential are 24 volt or higher.

Tags
power, solar