Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2007, 04:59 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I met some wonderful people in Nova Scotia in Sept 2007 and they told me of boondocking on BLM land near Ajo, I think they said Dolby Wells Road?? I would like to try this. Do I need to contact a ranger first if so how do I find them. The BLM web page has not been that helpful.

Thank You for any information.
Nancy
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2007, 04:59 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I met some wonderful people in Nova Scotia in Sept 2007 and they told me of boondocking on BLM land near Ajo, I think they said Dolby Wells Road?? I would like to try this. Do I need to contact a ranger first if so how do I find them. The BLM web page has not been that helpful.

Thank You for any information.
Nancy
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 02:54 PM   #3

That road runs along the edge of an enormous mine tailing that goes on for a long way (Its the bigger than Ajo). The land might be OK for camping and it would be close to town; I haven't been on it.

We did stay in our 40' DP about 10 miles away on a BLM piece south of Why, AZ. From Why go south on Hwy 85. I think it is just over a mile. As soon as you cross a small concrete bridge across a wash turn right. Go through an opening in the fence (or what's left of it). There are miles of paths with plenty of places to camp. The immediate area after you enter gets the heaviest usage. If you immediately turn left after passing the fence the path will take you into some wide open space. There was a "host" at the entry and we did fill out a simple form. Many times when we stay on BLM land there either has been no host or where we camped was aways off and we were not contacted. Other than the LTVAs (Long Term Visitor Areas) BLM does not seem to be too concerned with folks camping on the land.

We liked the location because it is not far from Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument to the south (just before the border with Mexico at Lukeville). There are several beautiful drives and a delightful variety of cactus. We were last there after a wet winter and the wildflowers were amazing!
Old 12-27-2007, 10:24 AM   #4

We were last there in Oct. 05. We inquired about staying in the parking lot over-night. The park ranger at Organ Pipe NM said to be in a city after dark. She said they do not even patrol after dark because of illegals robbing folks. The Border patrol does the work.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:10 AM   #5

Dec 30, 2007 Associated Press article in the Yuma Sun wrote about a scientist abandoning her research in the Organ Pipe/Ajo area, due to increased drug running activity. This particular scientist happened to be a Biologist who studied Bats, so her work was done after dark, just when illegal activity peaks.
Probably not a good choice for a boondock area, but the folks who work at the Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument should be able to advise you further.

Regards
Gemstone