Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:58 AM   #1
Jerry Dixon

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Have you ever been given a boondocking ticket?

Have you ever been given a ticket for parking overnight? Or heard of anyone else getting one?

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"
Suzuki Burgman scooter on the rack
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2016, 11:10 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If you park on a public street in a community that has laws against it, you get a ticket. I don't see the issue.

There are videos of the oil field workers that were living in a Walmart parking lot in North Dakota that all got evicted. They also were abusing the parking lot, drinking, prostitution, brawls, etc. They were given warnings and when the deadline was up, they were evicted, ticketed, or towed.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:45 AM   #3

I don't blame them. They were even dumping on city streets.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:36 PM   #4

Break the law, get a ticket. Nothing new here. People get parking tickets all the time.

I haven't overnighted on a street. I have been asked to leave a Walmart that used to allow overnighting, but no ticket.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:42 PM   #5

As the lady said in the video who pays "property taxes" she got sick of finding faeces and urine odours in her bushes = I'd feel the same. Sadly one or two bad apples spoil it for everybody else.

Yet the best of it all is that they said "you can pay a $2" a day permit ticket and still park there. I mean really, two bucks a day for non committed long term access to the same location that the homeowners in the neighbourhood pay considerably more in property taxes. And ........... to boot the guy admitted he had a warning before getting the citation and wasn't surprised. It's hard to feel bad for folks based on this video. I thought the affected home owner interviewed was quite amicable considering folks have been defaecating and urinating in her bushes and heaven knows what else for a long time.

I do think to just ticket someone from the get go that might not even be familiar with an area on a one or three night stop over without warning is mean, but if you receive a warning and then 3 days later get a ticket fine then it's what I'd expect personally.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:20 PM   #6
Jerry Dixon

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBeFT View Post
As the lady said in the video who pays "property taxes" she got sick of finding faeces and urine odours in her bushes = I'd feel the same. Sadly one or two bad apples spoil it for everybody else.

Yet the best of it all is that they said "you can pay a $2" a day permit ticket and still park there. I mean really, two bucks a day for non committed long term access to the same location that the homeowners in the neighbourhood pay considerably more in property taxes. And ........... to boot the guy admitted he had a warning before getting the citation and wasn't surprised. It's hard to feel bad for folks based on this video. I thought the affected home owner interviewed was quite amicable considering folks have been defaecating and urinating in her bushes and heaven knows what else for a long time.

I do think to just ticket someone from the get go that might not even be familiar with an area on a one or three night stop over without warning is mean, but if you receive a warning and then 3 days later get a ticket fine then it's what I'd expect personally.
What they did not mention in the video is that the parking permits are issued only to residents to park their RV on their home's block.

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"
Suzuki Burgman scooter on the rack
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:34 PM   #7

'Stealth' camping...........LAW breakers (intentional)

Otherwise why the need for 'stealth'
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #8

No, but I would not boon dock on a public roadway that did not have signage indicating that the area was available for overnight parking.

If someone tried to boon dock in my neighborhood and they were not friends or family of my neighbors, I'd ask them to leave. However, by the time I checked them out, they should have squeezed in a nap or a good night's sleep and be ready to move on anyhow. If they did not leave, I'd encourage the sheriff's department to ask them to leave.

I'd hate to begrudge someone a chance to get off the road and grab a few winks, for safety's sake. However, you can't allow your neighborhood to become a destination.

petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:06 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Still you have to feel sorry for these people (boon-dockers). Until you have been down that road of forced home-less-ness you can't understand. The problem here is too people stay too long in one spot.

During our trip across the country to and from Alaska, there were many spots including Walmart's people were there for weeks on end. I'm just looking for a spot to park, sleep for 8 hours and be on our way. But I'm afraid actions by a few, will ruin it for everyone. Don't know what the answer is.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:11 PM   #10

I regularly Drive that street and used to see the old RV residents there never saw a mess other than the RV itself but I agree it doesn't look nice. now its just empty street.
Now it seems they keep moving around city parks.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of the local Cities set up a safe place for people to spend the night in their car or RV. They also established some "conduct" rules that have to be followed. Not many use it as I still see them on City and County roads everywhere. I guess they don't like following the "conduct" rules?

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:44 AM   #12

It's called homelessness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
'Stealth' camping...........LAW breakers (intentional)

Otherwise why the need for 'stealth'
Old 10-08-2016, 11:47 AM   #13

Those rules also contain specifications for rigs, not just for "conduct." Most homeless individuals cannot afford to comply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
One of the local Cities set up a safe place for people to spend the night in their car or RV. They also established some "conduct" rules that have to be followed. Not many use it as I still see them on City and County roads everywhere. I guess they don't like following the "conduct" rules?
Old 10-08-2016, 11:56 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
If all it takes is $2 a day to park here that is great.

Don't like a law, change it. Not following laws is anarchy.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking