Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2019, 01:46 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSharpelle View Post

That being said we have Drained some grey out into storm drains a total of 3x in a year plus, once our favored dump site had burst pipes and was shut down, Once our Class C broke down while we shopped in walmart and we had to stay there 2 weeks until the part came in as a Kodiak Chassis is not something common out here and the part stores do not stock much for them
the 3rd time we couldnt get to the dump location on time as they close at 330 pm and there was a car accident which shut down a main road causing a traffic nightmare, it was either drain a little bit and shower or work the next day un-showered my Significant other Works with dementia patients who often fling fecal matter and Half Chewed food at her and urinate everywhere including all over themselves which she can then get coated in while changing them etc so a shower is Happening for her no matter what. come home clothes covered in ****, piss and food with a full grey tank and see how fast you drain some of it id be willing to bet you wouldnt even bucket it into a storm drain but would just dump it right there to get that nastyness off you.

As for campgrounds Generally Booked at least 6 months in advance for the summer to avoid the $400 a night hotels $40 for a camp site is more reasonable so they are often sold out well in advance
WalMart is for overnight only as stated in their policy practice.

The 'nastiness' on your wife is then put in the grey water for you to dump in the storm drain?

Let me know where you're staying and I'd be happy to help you find a reasonable campground without reservations and/or a dump station so you don't have to continue this practice.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2019, 02:04 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
WalMart is for overnight only as stated in their policy practice.

The 'nastiness' on your wife is then put in the grey water for you to dump in the storm drain?

Let me know where you're staying and I'd be happy to help you find a reasonable campground without reservations and/or a dump station so you don't have to continue this practice.

it seems you simply read what you want to maintain your high horse while lacking basic knowledge of grade School science, and skipped over the parts about breaking down once, and the dump station having busted plumbing preventing us from using it in almost 1.5 years of weekly Dumping only 3x have we ever had to drain some out of the grey tank living full time id say thats pretty good you want to know the exact percentage of our waste water that did not end up in Dump sites? 0.5% we produced about 4000 gallons of grey water in this time (this Includes Flushing and Sanitizing our System) and disposed of Four 5-gallon buckets that were only 2/3 to 3/4 full in that entire time not in a Dump station due to un-forseen events

Its not a Practice or Regular thing its a last Resort

Now for a little Grade School Science pay attention this is basic Grade School Science Class and apparently some people definitely need to retake it!

the Following 10 things are ways that waterways and groundwater are ACTUALLY contaminated that most people do not even give a second thought to doing and that i am 100% sure most of you are guilty of at least 8 of!

1. Driven a Vehicle, Yes Grease, Chemicals from manufacturing and petroleum products salt from winter driving Regularly Drip onto roads, even if you dont have a leak many things like axles Bearings shocks etc Ooze Grease out slowly. when it rains and you drive this is washed off the undercarriage onto the roads and then washed into storm drains this includes tires which contain many Oils and Chemicals used in the manufacturing process (my last Set of Tires for my every day vehicle Was from a company that uses only organic Compounds in manufacturing can you say the same?)

2. Used an Asphalt Road or driveway Instead of a Concrete one or even more preferably a gravel or dirt one. There is quite a Decent amount of Oil and chemicals that Seeps out of Asphalt for many many years after it is laid and Washes into the drains. Asphalt is actually a Waste Product of Petroleum Refining and sat in limbo until the government was convinced by oil companies it was a great road building material superior to cement or concrete which in some ways is true its faster and cheaper to build an asphalt road but its durability is non existent

3. Have Ever used any lawn care or garden product such as Scotts Weed and Feed or any fertilizer or weed killer such as Roundup, spectracide, miracle grow, Plant food spikes etc. Nitrates and other Chemicals from Fertilizer Run off every time it rains, Pesticides such as permethrin, Bifenthrin Among many others run off of both structures and vegetation some of which can cause damage to amphibians and other marine life extremely small quantities Low PPM or Even PPBillion in some cases.

4. Applied armorall or Tireshine or any cleaning product or protectant to Vehicle tires, This also runs off in the rain and Rubs off onto the roads ending in harmful chemicals being washed into storm drains.

5. Watered a lawn or garden or washed anything outside with a non drinking water safe garden Hose. the reason they are not drinking water Safe is the chemicals they contain which end up in the ground and washed into the street when you use these hoses, if its not safe for large animals like humans how safe is it for small ones? Fish and Invertebrates are Massively More sensitive to chemicals than most mamnals

6. Used Exterior screws or bolts to construct or repair something outside.
Galvanized items contain lead which ends up in waterways and the ground as it is worn off by rain wind etc, Non Galvanized items will often be coated in chemicals from the manufacturing process and oils which will wash off and leech into the ground and storm drains

7. Use any Electricity Not Produced by solar panels or Wind turbines, Fossil fuel and Nuclear plants still often use Water for cooling which can significantly raise the temperature of surrounding waters which is often damaging to native organisms either directly or indirectly
they also often leak some chemical or another that eventually ends up in the waterways

8. Washed the Roof of your RV the Sides of Your RV, a Car, side of a house, Deck, exterior windows or any Furniture Garbage cans etc Outside.
your using soap or another cleaner for this and ones that are often much harsher than those that we use on our own bodies, additionally any Chemicals/Animal Droppings on these surfaces are now Leeching into both the ground and Storm drain systems depending on where you do it

9. Purchased and Placed Anything new outside and allowed it to be rained on. Plastics contain numerous chemicals and are Coated in numerous others in manufacturing Things like BBQ grills Are Coated in chemicals at the factory, That plastic table or Chair Yea its leeching chemicals for a while after you buy it that new item smell? Thats chemicals while in quantities non toxic to us we are several hundred pounds for a 1 lb or smaller creature how much does it take?

10. primitive camped anywhere? Where do you use the bathroom in the woods? On the Ground, against a tree, Maybe in a latrine you dig what do you think happens when it rains? That runs off into any nearby waterways or seeps down eventually into the ground water
the same with pet Waste just because you pick it up doesnt mean some isnt left and if its raining its already leeched waste into the runoff

Small Amounts Of Diluted organic waste are Harmless. Have you ever Swallowed water from a stream or a lake or beach while swimming? Your swallowing bird amphibian and fish waste With it as well as large animals waste

The fact that organic matter concerns you over the chemical compounds is a troubling sign of what people who "THINK" they know things consider harmful and what they consider no problem at all as the organic matter is more or less 100% harmless environmentally unless released in extreme quantities and in many cases is actually Beneficial to the food chain it enters. Most illnesses CANNOT be Transmitted cross Species and the waste actually acts as nutrient sources for bottom of the food chain creatures.

its the Chemical waste that is harmful, you can take a Piss or dump in a lake every day for your entire life its not gonna hurt it at all, it wont hurt the fish amphibians or any other animal that depends on that lake Every Creature other than Humans use the bathroom in nature and it gets processed by other creatures broken down and recycled THIS IS BASIC ELEMENTARY SCHOOL LEVEL SCIENCE.

But if you dump small amounts of non organic chemical compounds in it daily and you will eventually Destroy it wiping out all life in and around it

So again its the SOAPS and CLEANING COMPOUNDS from grey that are an issue and Nothing else as the SOAP AND CHEMICALS are the only things not found on Every Square Inch of Earth and in every drop of water Since Millions upon millions of years Before we humans existed
JSharpelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:34 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Most of what fills our grey tank is shower water. If in an area where we will have to dump grey before we leave, I take my showers outside. A Ranger one time commented, "Saving the Grey Tank? Good for you!" So it's legal to shower outside, using soap or shampoo, but illegal to contain that water, then dump it on the ground.
So leave the grey open and it is immediately drained just like washing dishes outside or showering outside. Close it a few days before leaving so you have grey soapy water to wash your stinky slinky after dumping at a dump station. Sounds like a no brainer.
- Jeff
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:46 AM   #116

Ok so I get dumping waste water on the ground when backpacking. Packing out ones own body waste would make me choose a different hobbies.
As far as rv gray water dumping. I've never
Done it. There is always an alternative. Even
If you have to drive to a dump station.
Personally I just think its lazy. Attracts unwanted pests (griz) and makes for unpleasant experience for the next person.
Ymmv
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:59 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Packing out ones own body waste would make me choose a different hobbies.
We rafted the Grand Canyon and ALL waste is carried on the rafts (in a secure container, of course) during the whole 8+ days for proper disposal at the end of the trip. We were allowed to pee in the river though - men & women alike; sometimes standing/crouching in a row. Our drinking water was also from the same Colorado River - filtered, of course
Old 10-26-2019, 07:43 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We rafted the Grand Canyon and ALL waste is carried on the rafts (in a secure container, of course) during the whole 8+ days for proper disposal at the end of the trip. We were allowed to pee in the river though - men & women alike; sometimes standing/crouching in a row. Our drinking water was also from the same Colorado River - filtered, of course

Been there done that plus 150 miles of Backpacking below the rim. When hiking no container is required so all human waste, dish water and bath water go on the ground. Right along with the mule waste on the corridor (Bright Angel trail).
Old 10-26-2019, 10:52 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
Been there done that plus 150 miles of Backpacking below the rim. When hiking no container is required so all human waste, dish water and bath water go on the ground. Right along with the mule waste on the corridor (Bright Angel trail).
Ugh.... not quite on the ground. If no toilet then bury it in a cathole and carry your TP out.

Q: Are there toilets in the canyon?
A: There are very few. Be prepared to provide your own toilet paper. Where toilets are available, you must use them. Only human waste and toilet paper should be deposited in the toilets. Where toilets are not available, you must carry out your used toilet paper (a plastic ziplock bag works well) and bury feces in a small hole about 6 in/15 cm deep. Be sure you are at least 100 ft/30 m from trails, campsites, and water sources. Along the Colorado River, urinate directly into the wet sand at the river’s edge.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:04 AM   #120

Old 10-29-2019, 03:44 AM   #121

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Simple answer "NO" Never and I would like to think others feel the same.

I would like to think people MAN mostly would know how to use the simple everyday BATHROOM. But 99.9% of Bathrooms I have walked into out on the open road all seem to have wastewater on the floors around the bowls.
Most of my friends are hunters and almost before they could walk they could shoot and hit a target quarter mile away or hit the heart of a deer the size of my fist. But yet less than 3-feet away shooting sometime 6-times into a toilet almost 2-foot wide they miss the target.
So I've come to the conclusion of my thinking this is only men from the city who truly don't give a rat's as? about anyone or anything but themselves. They have no respect for the land or other people around them. I've got to end this note here as nature is calling me away, yet again. Oh and don't worry I may be a read nick but I do put the seat down after use. Now I'm thinking it may be a size thing?
van-gogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 01:35 PM   #122

I have a hunting lease that is mine alone. I boondock there, but I don't dump my gray water or leave anything around. Nothing is left, not a cut zip tie, candy wrapper or anything by me or anyone that is with me. It's not MY property, I pickup trash along the road from time to time and help maintain the access roads. We camp enough where I can just dump at the next campsite or go to a dumpstation and pay $10 to empty the tanks. Works for me.
TheWoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 05:41 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoodBoss View Post
I have a hunting lease that is mine alone. I boondock there, but I don't dump my gray water or leave anything around. Nothing is left, not a cut zip tie, candy wrapper or anything by me or anyone that is with me. It's not MY property, I pickup trash along the road from time to time and help maintain the access roads. We camp enough where I can just dump at the next campsite or go to a dumpstation and pay $10 to empty the tanks. Works for me.
You're a conscientious camper. Thank you!!
Old 11-08-2019, 05:51 AM   #124

Outlaw RV

While my wife and I wandered across beautiful Southern Utah after leaving the Grand Canyon area, we pulled into a remote pull off on a busy state road in our truck camper. When I got out of my truck, I was shocked to see a huge pool of very fresh raw sewage that someone has just dumped in the middle of the parking area. Judging from the nature of the mess, we must have just missed the culprit who dumped their black water tank and took off. We were dumbfounded that anyone could do this in such a pristine beautiful spot. I wish I’d caught the person in the act, I would have instantly called the police. Gray water is one thing but dumping raw sewage is both criminal and dangerous besides disgusting. This behavior reflects badly on all of us honest RV enthusiasts.
vermontbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:43 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontbuild View Post
While my wife and I wandered across beautiful Southern Utah after leaving the Grand Canyon area, we pulled into a remote pull off on a busy state road in our truck camper. When I got out of my truck, I was shocked to see a huge pool of very fresh raw sewage that someone has just dumped in the middle of the parking area. Judging from the nature of the mess, we must have just missed the culprit who dumped their black water tank and took off. We were dumbfounded that anyone could do this in such a pristine beautiful spot. I wish I’d caught the person in the act, I would have instantly called the police. Gray water is one thing but dumping raw sewage is both criminal and dangerous besides disgusting. This behavior reflects badly on all of us honest RV enthusiasts.

So what did you do about the situation? The best option would be to get a shovel and clean up the mess by burying it. Walking away from a bad mess is almost as bad as creating it!
Note: My assumption and observation is that most people will just walk away, leaving the mess.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:53 AM   #126

The stupidity or disrespect is just mind boggling.

We just came out of Cimarron NF campground in Kansas, we were the only ones in this place for 12 days other than at night when straggler car campers would come in after the sun went down and gone before 7 am. One morning out walking the dogs after everyone left this one site had a pile of crap with tp, a pit toilet was 50' away.

Ranger removed it with shovel.
Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote