Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2019, 08:27 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
So what did you do about the situation? The best option would be to get a shovel and clean up the mess by burying it. Walking away from a bad mess is almost as bad as creating it!
Note: My assumption and observation is that most people will just walk away, leaving the mess.
You're kidding right? I carry a small folding shovel. Even with a full size shovel I'm not getting near someone else's discharge. It's bad enough using public dump stations.

This is quite a bit different than picking up garbage after someone, which I will do.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2019, 04:40 PM   #128

for those of you that say you can't or won't look for a dump station, I think you should stay at home and use your municipal sewage systems. trashing the pristine outdoors with your lame excuses or reasons will be the downfall of all of us being able to enjoy the public lands we can use now. this is not an entitlement for you to ruin the American experience. go home if you can't deal with finding a proper dumping station. sell your rv and stay close to what is a great convenience. apparently, camping in the woods was not made for you
Old 11-09-2019, 10:33 AM   #129
SMe

Just don't dump

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontbuild View Post
While my wife and I wandered across beautiful Southern Utah after leaving the Grand Canyon area, we pulled into a remote pull off on a busy state road in our truck camper. When I got out of my truck, I was shocked to see a huge pool of very fresh raw sewage that someone has just dumped in the middle of the parking area. Judging from the nature of the mess, we must have just missed the culprit who dumped their black water tank and took off. We were dumbfounded that anyone could do this in such a pristine beautiful spot. I wish I’d caught the person in the act, I would have instantly called the police. Gray water is one thing but dumping raw sewage is both criminal and dangerous besides disgusting. This behavior reflects badly on all of us honest RV enthusiasts.
This is exactly why I endorse not dumping grey, because it is too tempting to dump the crap too. Just don't do it and find a proper dump station or better yet, stay home!
SMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:58 PM   #130

I only dump my grey water in the city of Los Angeles. I consider this selfless contribution a necessary city improvement project.
OffGridCirc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:52 AM   #131

The problem is when more than a handful of inconsiderate people do it.

I found it particularly ironic that someone even mentioned "leave no trace" while claiming to dump his grey tank.

If you really need to find more grey tank space to extend your stay for a few days, just use a bucket to transfer some of it to the black tank.
Paul Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:53 AM   #132

That's because we're not to leave a trace while they can. Do as I say not as I do.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:36 PM   #133

In the very rare occasions I have dumped gray water. I drilled a 3/16 hole in the bottom of the dump cap. When I am on major highways and rain is in the near term forecast I have occasionally dumped the gray (only). Seems like it takes close to 100 miles to drop the 30 gallons Considering what others (truckers and inconsiderate drivers) this is pretty minimal
markap12013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:26 PM   #134

Having given the subject more thought, it is an illegal thing that some do and some don't. Just like speeding, some do and some don't. Even 5 mph over is illegal. Perhaps we should judge ourselves and not others.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:25 AM   #135

markap12013- by spreading your sludge over 100 miles that makes it ok? was that your spaghetti sauce I was washing off my windshield? oh-I get it. on that 100 mile run there was not one dump station on that route. i'm interested to hear more people's excuses for illegal dumping. if ya'll will let me know where you live, I could dump a broken refrigerator in your yard.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:42 AM   #136

Winnebago Owners Club
Note that in some states (Arizona comes to mind) water from your sink is considered black water and cannot be dumped on the ground.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:42 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanna2016 View Post
markap12013- by spreading your sludge over 100 miles that makes it ok? was that your spaghetti sauce I was washing off my windshield? oh-I get it. on that 100 mile run there was not one dump station on that route. i'm interested to hear more people's excuses for illegal dumping. if ya'll will let me know where you live, I could dump a broken refrigerator in your yard.

It's all a matter of perspective. For example, Having just one kid does more environmental damage than 1000 grey and black tanks dumped into a pristine alpine lake. If you consider how much consumption a human does over it's lifespan with cars, houses, toys, diapers, clothes, refrigerators, soap, toilet paper, RVs, would fill an entire land fill.... Not to mention, them having more kids and so on and so on.. At least grey water just evaporates in an hour and doesn't require HOV lanes on the freeway cuz there are too many people. Your children have an environmental destructive toxic life span of 80+ years with nothing but continuous consumption and discarding of their waste into MY environment. So, wear a condom, next time and we won't have to have petty discussions on where to drain a little dirty water.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:26 AM   #138

so with your theory about kids, let's blame all the gray water dumping and other man made pollutions on adam and eve. if only adam went fishing instead, look how clean the world would be. curse you--adam. on the other hand, if he fished, what would I do instead?
Old 11-24-2019, 12:38 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanna2016 View Post
so with your theory about kids, let's blame all the gray water dumping and other man made pollutions on adam and eve. if only adam went fishing instead, look how clean the world would be. curse you--adam. on the other hand, if he fished, what would I do instead?

Sure, Adam or Santa Clause, Humpty Dumpty, The Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy. Pick your poison. They are all just as credible as the next. I see your point, though. What dude can resist a hot manipulative, seductive, naked temptress, like Eve? So, its her fault!
Old 11-24-2019, 03:38 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
Having given the subject more thought, it is an illegal thing that some do and some don't. Just like speeding, some do and some don't. Even 5 mph over is illegal. Perhaps we should judge ourselves and not others.
The obvious difference is that inconsiderately dumping your grey tank on BLM land where it is illegal can affect all of us. That if the same percentage of RVers who did it was the same as the percentage of motorists who speed, they would now quite likely be off limits. So this is a false equivalence.
Paul Foster is offline   Reply With Quote