Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:17 PM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DumOleBob View Post
Very interesting! I was told the buddy heaters all have built in regulators and thus could not be tapped into the rigs system, which of course is regulated. Since yours is tapped into the propane system did you have to do anything special?

Thanks.
Bob
The Buddy Heater requires a high pressure feed, but the Big Buddy can use either.

1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2014, 10:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
The Buddy Heater requires a high pressure feed, but the Big Buddy can use either.
My propane "advisor" was ill advised, but I'm glad to know it can be done!
Thanks!

Old 01-04-2014, 10:39 AM   #31

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding the use of a non-vented heater like the Mr. Buddy even one with an O2 sensor to shut it down if needed.

Do you want to trust your life to a piece of hardware that can fail?

A vented RV furnace or even a vented heater (Smaller version of the same thing) Eats 12 volt and propane, not 120 volt, work great and far less chance of running out of Oxygen.

The stuff that keeps you ALIVE.. oxygen.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:57 AM   #32

Bob,

I don't know about "special" but I tapped into the propane supply with a tee ahead of the regulators giving us tank pressure. I had a hose made at a hydraulic shop out of propane specific hose to run from the tank to the location where we have the heater right behind the drivers seat. The hose has a 300 psi working pressure much higher than tank pressure. I have a shut off valve at the tee as well as one at the end of the hose and the quick disconnect fitting is also a shut off when the short hose to the filter and heater is disconnected. I disconnect and store the heater along side the seat when not in use. As I have said in previous posts we have been using this system in three different coaches for more than 9 years and we aren't dead yet. Follow the directions and they are safe.
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Regarding the use of a non-vented heater like the Mr. Buddy even one with an O2 sensor to shut it down if needed. Do you want to trust your life to a piece of hardware that can fail? A vented RV furnace or even a vented heater (Smaller version of the same thing) Eats 12 volt and propane, not 120 volt, work great and far less chance of running out of Oxygen. The stuff that keeps you ALIVE.. oxygen.

Frankly, My suburban, vented furnace is a piece of junk! It eats batteries, sucks up propane, starts out blowing cold air and ends blowing cold air! Maybe it's just my particular trailer but my furnace is a piece of... Well you know! The last time it broke down I didn't bothered to get it fixed. My biggest regret is that I have to haul the deadweight around. I think I should pull it out and use the additional storage space. Come to think of it that's exactly what I'm going to do.

That said we have used buddy and big buddy heaters for the past 12 years and never had any problem at all. However, we only use the heater for a few minutes in the morning to get the trailer heated up to a decent level. I doubt that I could fall asleep with any propane heater running all night. So the bottom line is your comment is well taken, well advised, and something we should all keep in mind.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:45 AM   #34

We love our 20,000 btu blue flame heater. It keeps us cozy and was not too hard to install. Our particular unit isn't made any more, but the Mr. Heater series looks to be the same.

We've got step-by-step installation instructions (with pics) for how we plumbed into our rig here:

RV Heater - Installing a Vent-Free Propane Heater on Your RV
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:15 PM   #35

GROOVY - What a great web site you maintain! Thanks and CONGRATS!

So much good info - Clk here: Looking for an inspiring RV blog or sail blog? Come escape with us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy View Post
We love our 20,000 btu blue flame heater. It keeps us cozy and was not too hard to install. Our particular unit isn't made any more, but the Mr. Heater series looks to be the same.

We've got step-by-step installation instructions (with pics) for how we plumbed into our rig here:

RV Heater - Installing a Vent-Free Propane Heater on Your RV
Old 01-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #36

People die in cold weather all the time here in the north trying to save on heat. To me my furnace is safe and I sleep well at night knowing that it is.
What is a few tank of propane worth to anyone.
If one cannot afford it get out of RVing.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:59 PM   #37

Quote:
GROOVY - What a great web site you maintain!
Thanks, Bob!! I'm so glad you like it!
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #38

Quote:
Very interesting! I was told the buddy heaters all have built in regulators and thus could not be tapped into the rigs system, which of course is regulated. Since yours is tapped into the propane system did you have to do anything special?

Thanks.
Bob
Bob
Unless you modify a Buddy Heater it will not work with regulated LP.
Between the RVs LP tank and the regulator the LP pressure it is NOT regulated.
That's where you tap into the propane system, to supply a Buddy Heater with LP!
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #39

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
Bob
Unless you modify a Buddy Heater it will not work with regulated LP.
Between the RVs LP tank and the regulator the LP pressure it is NOT regulated.
That's where you tap into the propane system, to supply a Buddy Heater with LP!
Mel
'96 Safari
The Big Buddy heater can be used with either an external high pressure source from a cylinder or a low pressure regulated 11 inches of water source.

For low pressure Hose #F272802 is needed

Here is an instructional video for the Big Buddy and accessories

Big Buddy Heater operation and Accessories

Here is the Big Buddy Manual

Mr Heater Big Buddy Manual

Response from Mr heater about low pressure connection

"As far as the hose with the quick coupler, this is only available to be used on the Big Buddy MH18B heaters. The Big Buddy has two built in regulators but also has a male quick coupler built-in that by-passes these two regulators so if you have a regulated propane supply like in an RV or your house, you can use our hose to connect to this low pressure source (all low pressure is less than 1/2 PSI of pressure)."

Here is the necessary hose

Mr heater F271802 Quick Connect to 3/8" Female Flare

Low Pressure Hose
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:40 AM   #40

Confused till now - so there is a big difference between a "Buddy" & the "Big Buddy" in that the smaller cannot be connected to a regulated gas line and the Big can. After all these years.....
Old 02-27-2014, 12:25 PM   #41

I am late chiming in here, but I just saw this thread.

I am afraid to sleep with an unvented heater running in the RV, even with a window cracked open. Carbon monoxide attaches tenaciously to red blood cells. Once attached, it will stay attached until the cell dies and is eliminated from your body. Red blood cells have a 2 or 3 month life. So carbon monoxide can accumulate if you are exposed daily to amounts even too small to set off the CO alarm. One or two nights would be much less risk than extended usage. I don't want to experiment. When we are not plugged in to shore power I will only use a fully vented heater. If we are plugged in I use one or two tiny electric 1500W heaters.

That Platinum Cat looks like a safe way to heat an RV. 5,200 BTU is kind of a low output, but should be good for small RV's. I don't know from personal experience, but I have read that catalytic heater panels can be poisoned by dust. But if you kept it covered when not in use, perhaps it will not happen.

I found and recently installed a 12,000 btu Dickinson P12000 heater. It has a flexible co-axial vent pipe of about 2.5" OD. The inner pipe which is about 1.25" is the exhaust, and combustion air is drawn in through the space between the inner and outer pipe. This also warms the incoming air as it cools the exhaust, which improves safety and efficiency. It uses low pressure propane. I hooked it to the main tank after the regulator. The added load to the existing regulator worked fine, because if I am running that, I am not running the 30,000 BTU furnace. We never use the built in furnace when sleeping even if we are plugged in because of the noise it makes, and of course if boondocking we don't use it because the batteries would be depleted overnight. It amazes me that the manufacturers can't find a better gas furnace to offer buyers.

The Dickinson P12000 heater has been sold and used by boat owners for many years. It is simple, reliable and safe. It has been used in RV's at 10,000 ft elevation without problems I understand. The highest we have been with it is about 7000' and it worked fine. It has a 12v electric fan that draws only 2/10 of an amp, so it is easy on your batteries. It can be run without the fan, but it will be less efficient.

This heater will make our 34' motorhome liveable down to about 32f outside temp. The inside will be about 25f above the outside. Although if it is that cold, and we are not sleeping, we run the generator and furnace while we are having breakfast or dinner. After dinner we turn off the furnace and leave the Dickinson on. It is completely safe, so we can sleep without worry. If we are boondocking we can run the generator whenever we please. We have been on two trips now with this heater and we are very glad we installed it.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:46 PM   #42

How long does a Buddy heater last with a 1 pound tank??

Tags
heater