Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #1

Heaters

What are some good options for heating while living off of the grid?
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2013, 04:39 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
What are you heating and your location is a big factor here?

Old 11-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #3

heater options

We use a buddy heater plumbed into the main tank. Others use an Olympian wave. Both are good options. As palehorse said, location and size of rig are important
greenhorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #4

heaters

camping without hookups on the east coast in a 21ft toyota motor home..
thank you for your replies!!
Old 11-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Mr. Buddy would do the trick, Quiet and efficient.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #6

heaters

Thank you very much for your replies and your recommendations!!
Old 11-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #7

For one or two nights a Mr. Buddy works fine, but since the cost of propane in 1 pound disposable cylinders is pretty steep it can get expensive fast.

The on board furnace will be a bunch cheaper in the long run. I built myself a small 'start cart' with a pair of golf cart batteries and a GC charger that I use when camping at airports. I just wheel it to where I can plug it in to charge it. I can go a week between charges if it's above freezing and not too windy.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #8

We had an Olympian Wave 8000 BTU (approximately 2.5 kW) on last rig (destroyed in Mexico) but we left the OW at son's place. We haven't installed propane outlet for it and suffered slightly this last week.

Had plumber install pipe from outside propane (turn-off valve outside) and then under refrigerator with another turn-off valve where we screwed in the hose to the OW (nervous about a quick release propane fixture inside trailer). Didn't tighten enough once and the propane warning let us know immediately. This uses 1/4 to 1/8 lb of propane/hour and no electricity. It has kept the 34' Open Range 5th wheel quite warm to 20 degrees. We turn it off and the inside/outside turnoff valves as well when we go to sleep (or we did with old rig and will do again once the piping is installed) and turn the forced-air heating to 40 or 45 to keep the basement warm. We do (would) utilize the forced-air heating in the morning for 15 or 20 minutes to get the place heated to 60 or 65 F. The catalytic is about half the BTU output of the forced air but will keep things warm.
Reed and Elaine Cundiff
Old 11-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
For one or two nights a Mr. Buddy works fine, but since the cost of propane in 1 pound disposable cylinders is pretty steep it can get expensive fast.
Mr. Buddy is a good option. Mine (the smaller one) is connected to a 20 lb cylinder with an adapter hose. I've never ran it off the 1 lb cans. Mine will likely be connected to the RV propane system at some point - I just haven't gotten there yet.
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #10

Be aware that many of the ventless heaters (such as the Buddy) employ a sensor to shut the heater down in the event of low oxygen conditions. That could be a nice safety feature, but it also will prevent the heater from operating at altitudes above about 6,000 ft. The Olympian Wave series (and some others) do not require the low oxygen sensor, and will operate at high altitude.

In either case, when using a ventless heater, you will need to keep a window cracked open. I often camp up to 8,500 ft., so I installed the Wave 3. As an experiment, I tried running it with the windows closed. After about 5 hours, my CO detector alarmed.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:04 PM   #11

I've used Mr Buddy a fair amount when off the grid and it works great. Hooking it to either the rigs propane or at least a 2.5 pound bottle is a much better way to set it up. We camp on the coast in the winter usually for a week at a time and while we have solar the fog and clouds wreck havoc on that. Our rig heater works great but sucks power so using Mr Buddy lets us stay longer.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
Mr. Buddy is a good option. Mine (the smaller one) is connected to a 20 lb cylinder with an adapter hose. I've never ran it off the 1 lb cans. Mine will likely be connected to the RV propane system at some point - I just haven't gotten there yet.
I think the OP is talking about living full-time in his RV and thus would be using the Mr. Buddy as a primary source of heat.

A few nights is a different story.

As was mentioned, there's also the CO issue with an unvented heater.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #13

I've got the Big Buddy as it supplies 4, 9, or 18000 BTU options, and I have it hooked up to a 7 gallon tank outside.

It doesn't take long to heat up my 35 foot class A in the 18000 mode in the morning, and provides a comfortable temp in the evening using only the 4000 mode.

Best of all , for me, is that it takes no electricity like my on board heater, which I never use as I'm a full time Boondocker.

Ed
Old 11-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #14

I have the Mr Buddy heater that takes 2 1lb tanks. It says it has the low o2 sensor on it, should I be worried to use it all night while we are sleeping?

Tags
heater