Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2019, 08:48 AM   #1

Honda eu 2000i generators

Hello all. Need some perspective about these Honda eu2000is. I have 2 paralleled together using Honda cables and RV plugged into companion one with RV ready plug. Had them running for few hours. After disconnecting, went on to turn heat inside RV and battery life showed very low. Sometimes in the middle of night the alarm sounded blinking for low voltage. It was annoying and I was angry for having these generators to max out power and charge batteries (2 on TT) but something wasn’t functioning correctly. Anyone ran into this? Also, when heat turns on, why is it drowning power if it’s suppose to be using gas (propane)?
hans-barak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2019, 09:11 AM   #2

Once generators are running you need to see if your battery converter/charger is working and the charging is getting to the battery.

Get a cheap volt meter and check AT the battery for 13+ volts. If not, something is wrong.

The heater uses gas to create heat but a fan to circulate it.

My heat uses 7 amps from my batteries when running. Depending on how long it runs per hour and how many AH in your batteries, will dictate how long your batteries will last.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:20 AM   #3

Ohh ok. Well I have 2 batteries paired for that very reason (using lot amps during heat on) but now it seems like I don’t get much of heat before alarm starts. Are there any other alternatives? Like add third battery or go bigger battery or ??
Old 10-17-2019, 09:21 AM   #4

With the generators running and the RV plugged in turn on your Microwave or something else using 110 V. to confirm the RV is getting power from the generators.
If the 110 V. is working the problem lays in the battery charging system or you have a bad battery or batteries. Check all your breakers to be sure one hasn't tripped.
Lynn
Old 10-17-2019, 09:33 AM   #5

Yeah I kind of did that. I had generators running and turned my AC on just to test. AC was working but after I turned off generators and went to pull slides in, they barely came-in and batteries life showed low. Could I just take these batteries to auto shop and have them test them? The TT is now plugged into outlet home but could disconnect and try using to troubleshoot than connect generators to see if charging, etc. Thoughts?
Old 10-17-2019, 09:46 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Things that might have happened:
Loose connection somewhere or blown fuse/tripped breaker
Overloaded one or both gennies at some point. They'll keep running but no electrical output.
Problem with converter.
Most likely is bad batteries won't take charge. Check this first.

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1) By Mark S. Nemeth
Old 10-17-2019, 09:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans-barak View Post
Yeah I kind of did that. I had generators running and turned my AC on just to test. AC was working but after I turned off generators and went to pull slides in, they barely came-in and batteries life showed low. Could I just take these batteries to auto shop and have them test them? The TT is now plugged into outlet home but could disconnect and try using to troubleshoot than connect generators to see if charging, etc. Thoughts?
You need to check the charging circuit first with a voltmeter like was said above. If the charging circuit is working then you can take the batteries for testing.
Do you have a battery charger at home you can try charging the batteries with?
Lynn
Old 10-17-2019, 12:17 PM   #8

Having a real battery monitor like the Trimetric would answer your questions.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:18 PM   #9

Would this work?

https://www.amazon.com/bayite-6-5-10...imetric&sr=8-6
Old 10-17-2019, 05:36 PM   #10

Tested both batteries with voltmeter and both are putting out 13.19 volts. However, they are hooked to electric power source at home. My plan is to disconnect, turn heat on and see what happens. Later I will connect generators to check if they are charging and report back results. Thanks all.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:55 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You have to check the batteries after they have been sitting still with no charge or discharge for a few hours. 13.19 volts is not a normal battery resting voltage.

Or you can check the specific gravity of the electrolyte in each cell if you can get to it with a battery hydrometer. Testing each cell will tell you if each cell is working properly. Again, the battery needs to rest for a few hours first.

Read the 12volt side of life link I left above for great info about battery charging, condition, and testing.

Also this video about checking the specific gravity of each cell.
https://youtu.be/UP6CLK8mvy8
Old 10-20-2019, 05:56 PM   #12

It sounds like this was a maiden voyage so to speak or is this a new problem? Two EU2000's gives you around 3200 watts operating which should have been no problem for them.

These little inverter genny's have what's called a floating neutral and I'm guessing this was the issue. You're going to need to buy or make yourself an Edison plug. You then plug that into an open receptacle on one of the genny's and it "fools" the RV into allowing power into the RV. We carry a little Yamaha 2000 watt genny for times when we don't need to run the big onboard unit and the coach will not allow power without the Edison plugged into an outlet on the Yamaha.

As others have pointed out, propane furnaces are huge power hogs. Even under the best of circumstances, you'll be lucky to get through a really cold night with just 2 batteries unless you're running the genny.
snowman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:09 PM   #13

How dead were your batteries before you tried to charge them for "a few hours"? And exactly how long is "a few hours"? It takes many hours of charging with the onboard charger to charge 2 batteries fully.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:17 AM   #14

Interesting. Well this first link is a plug I use on companion generator when I plug RV cable directly to it:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-120-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

This second link is a plug I use when I use only one generator and plug RV cable to it:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valterra-...MaAuPDEALw_wcB

So am I not charging the batteries properly when 2 generators are Paralleled?

Tags
generator, generators, honda