Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:59 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

It's usually sold as premium gas with no ETOH around here unless you can get access to the pumps at a marina. Since I don't wish to always pay a premium for the non-ETOH subsidized gas, I use Marine Sta-Bil in all of my genny gas.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2015, 03:58 AM   #16

One of the reasons I purchased a Yamaha is they have a gas shut off valve so you can run all of the gasoline out of the carb when shutting it off.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbashaw View Post
One of the reasons I purchased a Yamaha is they have a gas shut off valve so you can run all of the gasoline out of the carb when shutting it off.
unless you drain the bowl though you're not really getting all the gas out of there
Old 08-18-2015, 07:16 AM   #18

The EU2000i does shut off the gas, but at the same time it's shutting off the ignition.

I have read that some owners pull the wire off the shutoff knob so it only stops running, when the carb run out of gas. Of course that leaves it running a few minutes after shut down, every time, just like shutting the Yamaha gas valve off.

As far as the bowl drain, they do have it at the lowest point that they can and a hose run out the bottom of the case to catch the gas.

My thinking is that if the gas is going to foul up the carb. it's going to foul up the fuel pump, filter and tank. If I am going to store my EU2000 for more then a month, I let it run until dry.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:13 AM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I use stabil religiously in all small engines. It has been good to me so far.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:17 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
unless you drain the bowl though you're not really getting all the gas out of there

That is exactly what the Yamaha does. A nice feature.

Yamaha EF2000iS Generator | Yamaha Generators | yamahagenerators.com

Gasoline petcock lets you shut off the gas to run the carb dry for storage Prevents stale gas problems.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:08 AM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbashaw View Post
That is exactly what the Yamaha does. A nice feature.

Yamaha EF2000iS Generator | Yamaha Generators | yamahagenerators.com

Gasoline petcock lets you shut off the gas to run the carb dry for storage Prevents stale gas problems.
Yeah, but then you have to worry about dried out and cracked gaskets, and moisture infiltration in the carb and tank. I prefer to store with fuel and run it once a month when storing. I use ethanol free fuel or stabilizer... I prefer ethanol free fuel though, you can leave it sit for months without degradation.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:01 PM   #22

Les, I have a HondaEU6500 that I use for home backup power. I have had the carb gum up on me twice in 3 years, even with using the red Stabil. Cost me $175.00 each time for carb cleanup and rebuild. I have started using the newer green colored Marine Stabil and per the mechanics instructions, I keep the gas tank topped off 100% of the time. With the tank topped off, air cannot form moisture in the tank. I do not turn the shutoff valve off when I shut the generator down. I leave the fuel in the carb and run it under load at least once a month for about 30 minutes. I put two 1500 watt spaces heaters on it for load. I have not had any more carb problems, gen starts every time and runs like a top. From what I can learn, Marine Stabil takes the ethanol out of the fuel and ethanol is what gums up the carb. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:25 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It doesn't remove the ETOH, it helps prevent the fuel from absorbing water/moisture and slows down evaporation. I also use the Marine StaBil and have had good luck with it. I run the various items that have small engines at least monthly in order to keep them healthy the same way you do, put something on it to load the engine about 50-60% for about an hour, then shut them off, top them off, and put them away for about a month.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:27 PM   #24

I am not afforded the opportunity to run my stored EU2000 every month, so running it dry what I do. I have not experienced any dry cracked gaskets since 2008.

I had a 1985 outboard, where the E gas ruined the gaskets, but they have fixed that problem, with different materials.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:23 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
AVgas has a 15 month rated shelf life. Pump gas is 5 months. I normally dont guy any pump gas. My weed eater, garden tractor and generator all get avgas.
Imurphy907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:37 PM   #26

I'll store mine with race fuel and no stabilizer in the tank. Race fuel doesn't degrade or loose octane as bad as pump fuel.
Martin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:55 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Oh yeah? Well, I compost locally grown spinach leaves, collect the methane gas and convert it to pure octane (c8H14) in the garden shed laboratory and use that exclusively in my small toys.

How's that for one upmanship?.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:26 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I am not afforded the opportunity to run my stored EU2000 every month, so running it dry what I do. I have not experienced any dry cracked gaskets since 2008.

I had a 1985 outboard, where the E gas ruined the gaskets, but they have fixed that problem, with different materials.

This thread energized me to go dump the fuel out of my 2 Honda EU2000i generators and then run them till they quit. Thanks for the reminder!

Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda