Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:17 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
It doesn't remove the ETOH, it helps prevent the fuel from absorbing water/moisture and slows down evaporation. I also use the Marine StaBil and have had good luck with it. I run the various items that have small engines at least monthly in order to keep them healthy the same way you do, put something on it to load the engine about 50-60% for about an hour, then shut them off, top them off, and put them away for about a month.

You are right, 1bigmess. I was not sure about the ethanol being removed by the marine stabol. My mistake. I just know that my carb problems have gone away since I started using marine stabol, keeping my fuel tank topped off, and leaving the fuel in the carb when I shut it down. I do not turn the shutoff valve to the off position. I just turn the ignition off. I still run it once a month, with two 1500w space heaters load for 30 minutes.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2015, 09:38 PM   #30

That may be a bad mistake on your part. Not trying to tell you what to do but you will never get all the fuel out of your carb by opening the drain line and if the fuel has ethanol in it, it is going to gum up. I found out the hard way by closing my fuel valve and then draining the carb. After two carb rebuilds, I listened to my generator mechanics instructions and I leave the gas in the carb, keep the tank topped off to eliminate moisture, and keep Stabol Marine additive in my fuel. I have eliminated my carb problems.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:17 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Look for a hot rod place and ask them if they have alcohol free fuel. I buy mine from a wholesale fuel distributor that carries it in 5 gallon cans. 100 octane. I use it in all my small tools like trimmer, chainsaw, and blower. Let them set all winter and then just start them up and use them. Av gas is the other possibility but further away for me. It's there if you look for it
Good luck, good health and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:50 AM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just wanted to throw a thanks out from the OP. I've learned SO much about the fuels I should and will be using in my Honda and other small engines for problems prevention. iRV2 is a great site!
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:54 PM   #33

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The talk of ETOH-free fuel, racing gas, av-gas, etc., got me looking at local-ish prices of those products compared to Top-Tier certified pump gas with up to 10% ETOH and adding Marine Sta-Bil to it.

It was much cheaper to use good pump gas and add the better Sta-Bil Product. The greater the distance to drive to get the better gas is also part of the cost, and I can get the Marine Sta-Bil right next to the nearest gas station.

YMMV, you're own local price variations and product availability may change and influence your decisions, I am not a rocket scientist, chemist, small engine mechanic, or engineer. Other symptoms, like your neighbors asking if they can plug into your generator or begging some gas off of you may occur, and are more likely to occur as distance to town increases. If you hear your generator running in your head when it is actually shut off for more than for hours consult your doctor.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:09 AM   #34

I just bought a used eu2000i yesterday for $500. I have been looking for quite some time. thanks for all of the great info here, it helped me so much! Now to find another one.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:15 AM   #35

Quote:
I have brand new 2000 watt Hondas, and the exhaust smells a little rich. I'm breaking them in premium non ethanol fuel, so I won't know if the ethanol mix will lean it out and they'll run OK. Currently, with both units running to power my AC, on eco mode, they don't ruin quite at full throttle after they settle down from starting the compressor.
I was told by my Honda dealer to only run non ethanol fuel in all of my small engines.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:16 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbridinger View Post
I just bought a used eu2000i yesterday for $500. I have been looking for quite some time. thanks for all of the great info here, it helped me so much! Now to find another one.
That's a good deal.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:54 AM   #37

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
I was told by my Honda dealer to only run non ethanol fuel in all of my small engines.
RTFM
Old 08-31-2015, 09:49 PM   #38

Quote:
RTFM

I'm sure the Flipping Manual says the genny will eat oxygenated fuel without harm. The point is that the fuel is spoiling in the carb from sitting, none of the seals or components are taking damage. Non-oxygenated fuel takes a lot longer (years vs. weeks) to foul a carb.

RTWFT
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:37 PM   #39

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You didn't originally say why you used the fuel you used, so my advice was, and still is, good until you took the time and effort to clarify your statement. Lots of folks don't read the manual until there is a problem, and I think that's a problem.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:49 AM   #40

Use what you want, I don't really care. Ethanol in any concentration is bad for small engines. They aren't like cars where they are driven daily. Stabil type products are ok but if you're going to buy products like that you might just as well buy premium gas that doesn't need any stabilizer. Until companies that make small engines start producing them with flex fuel technology I will run premium. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:26 PM   #41

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It's more than two cents.

Last I checked, unleaded gas was about $2.75/gallon.

Marine Sta-Bil was about $20/32 FL Oz bottle. Directions on the bottle say to use 1 FL Oz/gallon for fuel storage.

.625+2.75=3.375 (total cost/gallon gas with additive)

Non ethanol fuel was $4.35/gal. Premium pump gas where I am that is not sold as non-ethanol has up to 10% ethanol in it, and is not required according to the manual for my generator.

The difference is a no brainer. I've not seem any evidence that fuel mixed with a quality stabilizer promotes any engine damage or deterioration.

If you have some concrete evidence showing s pattern of small engine destruction from using stabilized ETOH added pump gas, I'm certain there are a lot of people that would also like to see it. I know I would.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:15 PM   #42

Timberdog, I took my generator mechanic's advice. I run Shell premium fuel and put Marine Stabol in it. I can't find anyplace in the Baytown, Texas area to buy Ethanol free gas.

Tags
honda