Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2015, 06:14 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Honda Eu2000i runtime question

Bought a Honda Eu2000i generator (not Companion), getting ready for remote camping. Generator runtime specs state 4 hrs @ full load, 8 hrs @ 1/4 load. I ran the pool cleaner off the generator just to exercise it. Pool cleaner pulled virtually no wattage, and the cleaner seemed to stop after a couple hours. Weird! So, I filled it back up with gas, plugged in a voltage monitor, plugged in a 100 watt light bulb and fired it back up. In my mind, 8hrs@1/4 load, this should have lasted a long time with the bulb actually doing 110 watt. The generator ran out of gas 2hr 10min later. Weird again!! Called a local Honda repair shop (BigR) and they said they don't tear into them, they just make sure they start, run, etc. they said they're tightly engineered to just do watt they do. They suggested running it with more load.
So, as I write this, I'm sitting in our driveway-parked 5er, air conditioner on low, TV on, refrigerator on, and currently pulling about 1850-1900 watts. Guess we'll see. I'll post the run-time when it quits.
Anyone else have any insight into the Eu2000i? All my research highlighted them being an excellent generator for boondocking. -les
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2015, 08:02 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Update: 1800W-1900W; runtime was 2:15. So, a little over two hours. I think something is wrong with this one. BTW, I researched for two days and found extremely high praise for these units. This must have been a Friday manufactured unit. LOL!!!
Old 08-13-2015, 05:24 AM   #3

Are you running in Eco mode? If you don't turn the Eco on, the genny runs at full throttle.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:06 AM   #4

One of the people that goes out with us, uses a Honda generator for his Class C MH rather then run the on board generator. He seems to get about 5-7 hours of run time per tank of fuel. Contact Honda and see what they have to say.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Are you running in Eco mode? If you don't turn the Eco on, the genny runs at full throttle.

If you're getting basically the same run-time with nearly full or nearly no load, this says the engine is running wide open throttle all the time regardless of load.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:17 AM   #6

There is something wrong. I have a eu2000 that I have run a 8000 btu portable A/C on. I start it up at 10 PM and it runs out of gas at 3:30 to 4:00 AM regularly. I leave it on econo mode but it is still reved up pretty high.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.warden View Post
Update: 1800W-1900W; runtime was 2:15. So, a little over two hours. I think something is wrong with this one. BTW, I researched for two days and found extremely high praise for these units. This must have been a Friday manufactured unit. LOL!!!
You do realize that it is a 1600 watt continuous output generator. you are running it above full load at 1800 watts.

To give it a fair test you should cut it back to 1600 watts.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:45 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
UPDATE: I appreciate all the feedback. I have found the culprit (I think)!! As a last ditch effort before trying to send it back to Honda (story in itself and a PIA), I opened the side and did a very close inspection of the inside. Lo and behold, there was a white, 6-pin (?) circuit board connector near the bottom of the circuit board just dangling there. Totally obvious where it was suppose to be plugged in. The plug wires routed up around to the carburetor. So, I plugged it into where it was suppose to be, gassed it back up, put the kill-a-watts monitor and 100W bulb back on it and fired it up.
It runs very, very smooth. The Eco-mode button now works as it didn't before. I expect it will sit there and run most of the day. It seems much quieter also.
With that connector unplugged, it must have been running like the choke was on and running full throttle. The spent gas fumes were very rich smelling.
Thanks again for the feedback. You're a good bunch on this board. Glad I subscribe!! Safe travels!!!!
Old 08-13-2015, 08:16 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have brand new 2000 watt Hondas, and the exhaust smells a little rich. I'm breaking them in premium non ethanol fuel, so I won't know if the ethanol mix will lean it out and they'll run OK. Currently, with both units running to power my AC, on eco mode, they don't ruin quite at full throttle after they settle down from starting the compressor.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:24 PM   #10

Just me, but a bit of StaBil in every 5-gallon jug of gas makes me feel better about what gas is going into my genset.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:29 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Bamboy473,
I saw some write that they prefer sea-foam (?) stabilizer over StaBil to ensure carbs don't clog. I've always used StaBil, but wondering if you've ever tried it?
Old 08-14-2015, 06:14 AM   #12

I think the biggest favor you can do for your small engines is run non-oxygenated gasoline. I've had good luck with stabil and seafoam, but when I run non-oxy, I don't even bother. I have a snowblower that say for 2 years with non-oxy and started right up. Use the stabil, but if you forget, non-oxy will save you. It doesn't absorb water like the ethanol blended gas. No water, no green slime in your carb.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:19 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Where does one acquire non-oxy gasoline? I didn't know there was such a thing!
Old 08-14-2015, 06:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.warden View Post
Where does one acquire non-oxy gasoline? I didn't know there was such a thing!
Its actually non ethanol gas and called Recreation Gas or Rec. 90, at some stations.

You can also find it at marinas, now that all of the ethanol damage is done. But that's a different forum.

Tags
honda