Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2019, 08:01 PM   #1

How can you use a space heater?

I've heard of people using a space heater inside their trailers to reduce propane use by the furnace. How can this work?

Many of these heaters are 1500 watts. That's 150 amps of draw. On a battery system that's, say, 200ah, that's going to be less than an hour of running time, isn't it? Much less, really.

If it's cold, the thing is going to be running a lot. Won't the batteries die really quickly? Is a space heater really practical?

Thanks.
RFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2019, 08:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The 1500 Watt space heaters are 1120 VAC, not 12 volt.

If all you have is 12 volt, you have to use propane and a furnace or a catalytic heater.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:20 PM   #3

Sorry, I should have said there's also an inverter to provide 110 to all the outlets full time.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:27 PM   #4

Electrical heaters are seldom practical unless you are plugged in or on generator.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:39 PM   #5

@jcuseen, thanks. That makes sense to me. Sleeping with a generator running isn't going to happen.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:52 PM   #6

Are you sure that you aren't thinking of a Propane Aux heater?
BFlame units heat the air rather than the objects in the room, provide a more even uniform warmth BUT it will CREATE CONDENSATION(leave a window opened a crack).
Blue Flame Technology works the same way as a central heating system.
Some models have the thermostat, MOST models DO NOT !
I use a Dyna-Glo - 10,000 BTU Vent Free Blue Flame Liquid Propane Thermostatic Wall Heater
Model# BFSS10LPT-2P it has a thermostat, 166$ @ Walmart and Amazon
Liquid Propane Ready
Up to 10,000 BTU's/hr heats up to 300 sq. ft. (43 hours at 10,000BTU on 20 lb. tank, 72 hours at 6,000BTU), many put a quick connect on to their existing RV heater line to plug these into.
No electricity required allows for reliable back-up heating in case of an emergency situation
Old 08-15-2019, 09:58 PM   #7

No, they were definitely referring to electric space heaters.

I don't see a whole lot of benefit to the unit you've described over the furnace that's on the trailer.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:09 PM   #8

https://cozywinters.com/shop/ew-rvhmp.html
For sleeping. On a thermostat, only uses 36 watts when on.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:12 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFisher View Post

I don't see a whole lot of benefit to the unit you've described over the furnace that's on the trailer.
The benefit over the furnace is that it doesn't require use of the battery for a blower. The furnace blower consumes a lot of power.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:13 PM   #10

We FT'd and used a 1500W space heater in living area before bed time.
WHEN we were at a CG with electric.
When boondocking used the GEN

Would never try running one via an inverter......

We did on occassion run gen while sleeping but gen (4kw) was NOT in the RV it is in it's own enclosure in bed of truck which is NOT parked near RV.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
The benefit over the furnace is that it doesn't require use of the battery for a blower. The furnace blower consumes a lot of power.
We used a catalytic heater during our 16 years of full-timing. It gives a warm even heat unlike a furnace. It's more efficient that a furnace. No battery needed. However, we never slept with it. We like a cold room for sleeping.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFisher View Post

No electric, far more efficient than stock LP heaters and portability, you get to put the heat where You want it focused.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:10 PM   #13

I've been using one of these radiant heaters

https://www.hearthsidedistributors.com/HR06MN

for five years, and absolutely love it. The only time I turn on my NOISY battery eating, propane sucking furnace is to exercise it because it hasn't been turned on in six months. The smallest one of these heaters produces more than enough heat to heat my 30 foot Arctic Fox fifth wheel with no problem at all. It uses no electricity, sips propane, and doesn't make a sound. And contrary to popular belief it hasn't killed me.

theboondork.com
theboondork. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 06:22 PM   #14

We rarely use the furnace due to it's inefficiency resulting in wasting propane. There is no sense heating the basement unless the temp gets below the low 20's which is rare for us. Elec space heaters work best and if we don't have electric, we use a Mr. Buddy space heater. The Mr. Buddy will run for week on a 20lb bottle although moisture is a problem then.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr Heater.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	261093  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, heat, ace