Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #15
+3 on letting the air out. Sometimes you have to get down to 10-15 psi. It increases the contact area of the tire with the surface.

VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #16
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have not got stuck in years, knok on wood, but when I went with my dad he sure had the gift for getting himself stuck pretty good. I remember a couple of nights sleeping in the camper tiped over 30 deg. MattC has a lots of good advice. A few other tips, any thing you have on hand to put under the tires for traction in either mud or snow (kitty litter, sand, branches, small rocks/gravel [i know a country song in where they used canola seeds]) try not to spin the tires and dig a deepper hole use you lower gears , we used to use a good heavy bumper jack and jack the truck out of the hole we dug then push the truck sideways onto more solid ground (not very safe and we may have broke a few things, kind of violent, not a recomended method in my opinion realy not recomended but seemed to work for the old man he had a realy hard head).
Best bet is to get towed out by some one that knows what they are doing.

08 F350 King Ranch hauling a 09 28' Jazz 5th wheel.
randyranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #17
Tiffin Owners Club
Here's an option!!

static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #18
Got stuck when we first got the motorhome.Since it had built in jacks I figured I would raise the back wheels ,slide some blocks in the hole and drive out.Found out that if you don't jack evenly you rack the frame and shatter the windshield.Either jack carefully or call the tow truck first.
And watch where they hook the cable. If I wasn't watching he would have crushed my generator exhaust.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:37 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by static View Post
Here's an option!!

Now you're talking...............
Mark & Carole RVM54
What a long strange trip it's been
2002 Fourwinds 5000 26Q 496 ci. Chevy towing 2004 Jeep Wrangler,2016 Starcraft AR One 18', 2016 F-150
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:38 AM   #20
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is that real or memorex ( photoshop ) ?

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #21
Tiffin Owners Club
I live near the factory for these guys and I've seen them on atv's, Hummers, and even a small bus like this one.

And of course the "power board"

static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #22
I have a friend who runs his dually p/u in sand and mud all the time, his idea was fiendishly simply, if not a bit of work.

He made up a bunch of wooden blocks and cut them to length with a taper at each end that matches the sidewall of his tires and glued them to an old hunk of binder strap. He has enough to wrap, and completely fill in, the gap between the duals for both sides.

They are sort of shaped like this \XXXXXX/.

When he's going to be in a sandy or muddy area he lays the two strips down and rolls over them, then ties the 2 ends together to make a filler strip between the duals.

With the 'filler strips' in place the sand can't get out from under the tires and up between them. In so doing he has effectively increased the footprint by the amount of the gap between the tires as well.

A bit of work, but less then getting unstuck I guess.
Ted 'n' Laurie, plus Jackson (aka Deputy Dog, the Parson Russell Terrier 'fur kid') and, Rylie (who crossed the Rainbow Bridge June 14, 2012).
Murf2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #23
In my youth I got stuck a few times. Once we camped beside the truck,it was slow work cutting trees into blocks to jack the truck up on.Once it was up,we built a road under the truck with rocks. The mud hole had thawed on the way back.
Downwindtrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #24
I just bring my 4runner with me

4runner Pulling out RV - YouTube
-twitch- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #25
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had a 1/2 ton pickup. An 18 wheeler had to jack knife into a loading dock and it put his drive wheels in a ditch with standing water. I had a 30' chain in the truck. Hooked it and pulled him out. Of course his drive wheels were spinning, but it doesn't take much to start something moving.

At a boat ramp here in TC, a pickup truck was trying to exit the water with his boat. He had a friend there with an older SUV. Nothing was helping. I walked over and asked them if they had a rope. They had a 1/4-3/8" nylon rope about 25' long. I hooked it up, had the SUV take up the slack gently, and then with both applying power that little rope pulled them out.

Just be careful i the material used. Small chains and ropes can snap, and cut through items like a bull-whip - stand a very safe distance away.

p.s., Jane, I hope your are out by now. How did it go?
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #26
If your driving down dirt\sand roads you better have a decent tow strap. I keep 2 in the RV and 1 in the offroad truck. Never know when you might need a longer pull or need to hook up multiple vehicles.

I don't even want to think about what it would cost to have a tow truck driver come pull me from the dirt.

Will triple AAA drive down dirt roads to rescue you?
-twitch- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #27
At all costs, you DON'T want to get a RV stuck ! They are extremely hard to get under to do anything and usually there isn't anywhere to hook a strap on without hurting something. It's much better to park and walk to see conditions than ' here hold my beer I'm gonna try something'. I've played/camped in the So Cal deserts for many years and have seen everything stuck and its tons of work, sweat and beer to get out . I've never been towed because I learned from all the others..... I owe them a big Thanks '
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #28
In order of cost

1) 30 foot snatch strap between your RV and another vehicle with tow hooks
2) 30 foot snatch strap and a 'come-along'. Loop the strap around a tree and then put the come-along or hand winch between your vehicle and the strap and pull your vehicle toward the tree
3) Portable winch and front and rear hitch receivers - place it where it will do the most good. Often better to put winch in rear receiver and back out of trouble area then to proceed ahead.

Other options but usually not feasible or safe for use with a heavy RV. You want to avoid injury to the RV but more importantly you want to avoid injury to yourself or anyone helping.

elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote